Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post

....cut....

I notice when I wash the Vegas after each trip the road grime on the sides is worst from the bottom to about halfway up but is thick all the way to the roof on the back panel, I assume due to the vacuum that is created going down the road. I can handle that with a cover I think, and a lift would be better when the wife drives.

Anyone with experience?
I can confirm that bikes (as in relatively expensive bicycles) hauled just behind a motorhome will get filthy. Covering them will help in keeping them clean, but cover can flap a lot at speed. I now prefer to carry bikes inside when space allows -- obviously can't do that with motorcycle unless you have a garage or trailer.

Regarding weight carrying capacity for motorcycle, not all Axis/Vegas are built with same chassis or dimensions. Some are E-350 and others E-450, and rear overhangs can vary considerably. Even if a shop could design and engineer a custom lift or rack, they'd have to know what they are working with. I'd guess an Axis/Vegas 24.1 built on E-450 chassis has greatest potential, but even that is likely going to fall short of a massive motorcycle.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I've been towing a trailer with a Gold Wing inside for more than twenty years. Currently I have a 12' x 7' dual axel Wells Cargo trailer. The trailer also carries tools, clothing, and other essentials. The fact that everything is secure is a big advantage of pulling an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup! Enclosed trailers are the best way to haul them!
(Besides: it gives you a place to hide all of the farkles... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
This is a picture of my MTI 6x10 enclosed trailer with rear ramp. I painted the walls and floor, mounted the spare inside along with air tank and toolbox. I used a PitBull motorcycle restraint system which means no tie downs, easy to use and much better on suspension. Enclosed is the only way to truly protect your toy, plus you have the advantage of taking extra anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9534EF8F-2887-412B-81B6-3969E5FE153B.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	7861
Old 11-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Is it hard to load the bike into the trailer like that?
(sideways...)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #26
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
(sideways...)
you are TOO FUNNY ! I needed that grin this morning !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
A diesel pusher will hold the weight of a large motorcycle hung on the rear. I wouldn't carry more than a lightweight motorcycle or scooter on the rear of a gas powered RV.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
you are TOO FUNNY ! I needed that grin this morning !
Thank you... I'm here all week! (Try the veal.)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #29

Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #9249
thanks for replies. Enclosed trailer seems the best solution, I was concerned with towing issues with wife driving, the trailer height required to get on/off bike. Nice to have secure area and more room for stuff. Our Vegas is E450 and will tow 8k pounds so we are good that way.

I have never heard of the pit bull but will research it. How does it work?
Old 11-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #30
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
This is a picture of my MTI 6x10 enclosed trailer with rear ramp. I painted the walls and floor, mounted the spare inside along with air tank and toolbox. I used a PitBull motorcycle restraint system which means no tie downs, easy to use and much better on suspension. Enclosed is the only way to truly protect your toy, plus you have the advantage of taking extra anything.

Attachment 7861
Good morning! Have you put this system to 'the test' ? I showed your post to Ron...he has the front chock and has ALWAYS USED tie downs for 50yrs of hauling his bikes...big, small and race bikes...
A good example ..most recently, when we went to Colorado for 4th of July ..we were in construction..and our Axis and trailer were hitting drop-offs from the asphalt road, chuck holes, extremely rough..for about 15 miles...all at less than 20 mph, with the rest of traffic...
His point being...he would not trust chocks only to hold the bike in place...again...I have always said...'each to his own' ... but, he felt it important to remind you of the pitfalls out there! better safe than sorry, he sez ... and as he walked out the door, he said...'that doesn't mean you can't get into something where nothing is going to protect that baby in the trailer'
and...on another note...when he uses his hitchmount rack for the Dual Sport, you should see the elaborate tiedown system he has for that toy ! When he has the bike hanging off the rear of the Axis, we have the camera on for the duration...and he is constantly checking the tiedowns, when we stop or even if we don't have a need to stop..he will stop to stretch his legs and check the bike. Just can't be too careful !

...we are OLD...Ron has been racing (many yrs ago) and riding for 60 yrs..he is OLD SCHOOL... It will be interesting to read about this Pit Bull ... hmmm

Safe travels and happy camping !!!

Ron and Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #31

THOR #5196
Quote:
(sideways...)
Not hard at all, shove the bike in and flip the trailer over! Easy peezy!!!

Don’t know why some of my pictures load sideways, some do, some don’t???
Old 11-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post
thanks for replies. Enclosed trailer seems the best solution, I was concerned with towing issues with wife driving, the trailer height required to get on/off bike. Nice to have secure area and more room for stuff. Our Vegas is E450 and will tow 8k pounds so we are good that way.

I have never heard of the pit bull but will research it. How does it work?
Ramp angles... Your GoldWing should be fine with pretty near anything that you're comfortable riding up (or backing down...) But lower is always better!
My Spyder has very little ground clearance, and a pretty long wheelbase. I use secondary ramps to lessen the approach angles, and they even help with the breakover at the top.
I use straps through the wheels to secure it.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #33
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Ramp angles... Your GoldWing should be fine with pretty near anything that you're comfortable riding up (or backing down...) But lower is always better!
My Spyder has very little ground clearance, and a pretty long wheelbase. I use secondary ramps to lessen the approach angles, and they even help with the breakover at the top.
I use straps through the wheels to secure it.
Bob...presuming you have had your Spyder for a while...how do you like it? Ron has considered going to one for a number of yrs..but, just cannot giveup the 2 wheels ! Body strength has come into play...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #34

THOR #5196
My bike had low ground clearance, I use the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer which makes the ramp almost flat with the trailer floor, no problem with clearance.

PitBull has a plate that mounts to the trailer floor, U shaped bracket locks to rear axle of MC, bracket locks to plate on the floor. PitBull is not compatible with all bikes, if you go to their website there is a demo video and a list of bikes it will fit. Not cheap but the best system I have ever used and I’ve used a lot of them. www.pit-bull.com

There are several front wheel stands/locks that work well but you still need straps to stabilize the rear, these work well too!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Bob...presuming you have had your Spyder for a while...how do you like it? Ron has considered going to one for a number of yrs..but, just cannot giveup the 2 wheels ! Body strength has come into play...
I've been riding them since 2010. I'd never go back to a "leaner"!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
we have the camera on for the duration...and he is constantly checking the tiedowns, when we stop or even if we don't have a need to stop..he will stop to stretch his legs and check the bike. Just can't be too careful !
I do that at every stop checking the straps on the dolly and have the rear camera on for the duration of the trip as well. That is all we need on vacation: a runaway car behind us--or worse passing us.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Not hard at all, shove the bike in and flip the trailer over! Easy peezy!!!

Don’t know why some of my pictures load sideways, some do, some don’t???
I called some of my buddies, and they came over to help give me a hand at tipping back up for you...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1511285324

No charge...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9534EF8F-2887-412B-81B6-3969E5FE153B.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	7865  
Old 11-22-2017, 02:10 AM   #38

THOR #9249
Saw the pit bull video, looks interesting but easy decision for me as it is not compatible with a Wing. Looks like trailer, chock and ratchet straps for this guy. Tried and true solution. Thanks again for the thoughts.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:51 PM   #39

THOR #9249
What kind of a hit does pulling the bike in a trailer make on our already-wonderful 9.5 MPG E450 V-10 gas engine?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #40

Model: Magellan
State: Florida
THOR #6001
Rampage lift

I use a Rampage motorcycle lift in the bed of our Ford Ranger. Did a few minor suspension improvements to the Ranger to handle the weight, super springs, air shocks and sway bar. Both toad and bike tow like their not there. Nice to have a toad AND MC along. Yea it can get dirty if it rains but up in the bed not so much, getting caught while out riding in rain does more than in tow. Quick wash and she looks fine again.

When not in use you easily remove 4 bolts and it slides out. I have a Harborfreight motorcycle repair lift in the garage that the rampage sits on then a wooden bench top. Takes up no extra space in the garage. The HF repair lift makes a good way to slide the rampage into the bed, just the right height.

I have 2 Harleys, 85' FXRS and 2010 Ultra. The FXRS is the bike that usually travels as it is easier to move around for this 71yo. I will be taking the Ultra for our month long stay in Maggie Valley, NC. this May.

Click HERE for dealer

bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote