Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 PM   #81

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I would like to see a side view of that set up and speak to the owner of the RV. The lift and/or carrier will add considerable weight, so an 800 pound motorcycle and carrier might be adding 1000 pounds to the back of the vehicle. But the photo proves that it can be done.

Metalman, I'm not sure the photos prove much of anything (at least to me), other than that the motorhomes can support the weight of the motorcycle while parked.

They certainly don't prove these setups are safe, or that it should be done at all. They don't prove the motorhomes are stable with all the rear weight bias, or that the rear axles aren't over the limit. Or that front wheels don't get too light for steering.

In case it wasn't clear, I was mostly joking with Jamie, and was being sarcastic. Short of having a mechanical engineering degree and a lot of experience, I would not suggest trying anything like these on a DIY basis.

Can it be done safely in some cases? Probably under certain conditions. I don't think it takes a diesel pusher. In fact, not having a 2,000-pound engine hanging off the very back of the unit should help.

By the way, I saw one video with a lift that showed a good side view with motorcycle way behind bumper.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #82
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Hi Mike, will do. Production was pushed back a bit as it will be a brand new design and they were still making improvements to the prototype. It's supposed to be delivered at the end of January. I will post pics when I get it.
When I spoke with them: they were just getting ready to move into the new production facility.
You're gonna love it!
Take some pictures for us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #83

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Those are a bit different as they don't have the lift piece and clearly don't lift the motorcycle as high up either.
No doubt keeping the total weight and height low will help. Having said that, the biggest problem to overcome are weight distribution, and bending stresses on the frame. This last part gets unmanageable when the motorhome already has a long rear frame extension.

For example, while my van is much smaller than the two Coachmen in the pictures above, the rear orverhang is much shorter, which helps a lot. Adding a 1,000-pound load behind my rear bumper will only unload front wheels by 500 pounds, so rear axle will see an extra load of 1,500 pounds. In my case that's well within axle and tire load ratings.

I'd expect that in most Class Cs adding a 1,000-pound load (motorcycle plus carrier) behind bumper would overload rear axle and/or tires. I'd also expect frame rails could get stressed too high because of the long moment arm. Handling would likely be unacceptable also. These things can't be seen on a picture of a parked motorhome.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #84

Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When I spoke with them: they were just getting ready to move into the new production facility.
You're gonna love it!
Take some pictures for us!
Will do. I made a mistake when we bought an Ultimate open trailer. The nice feature about the Ultimate trailer was that it could completely lower to the ground which made driving the bikes onto it very easy. The down side however was when it raised itself back up it was only about 6 to 7 inches off the ground. When being towed behind our 31 foot Ace it tended to bottom out a lot when negotiating unequal heights of certain roads and parking lots.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #85
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're the first person I've heard mentioning the bottoming-out issue...

But they DO ride low!

I suppose that it's due to the amount of lift that they can actually get with their setup...
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #86

THOR #2121
Metalman, here is motorcycle lift video I was thinking of. Notice how far back the bike rides behind the relatively small motorhome. May be a trailer, can't tell.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #87
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
...And there was nothing to keep those pins in place?!?
(Other than the weight of the bike on them...)
A couple of fifty-cent snap-rings would seem like a reasonable expense!
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #88

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
...And there was nothing to keep those pins in place?!?
(Other than the weight of the bike on them...)
A couple of fifty-cent snap-rings would seem like a reasonable expense!
I would feel better with lock pin on each side. I suspect that in certain circumstances the bike could unload its weight from the lift and if a pin falls out...catastrophy.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #89

Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
Quote:
You're the first person I've heard mentioning the bottoming-out issue...

But they DO ride low!

I suppose that it's due to the amount of lift that they can actually get with their setup...
I don't think it would be as much of an issue if it was towed behind a PU or SUV but coupled with the long length of a RV it was definitely a problem. In fact the trailer support wheel, despite being cranked up all the way, bottomed out so many times it finally shattered.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:34 AM   #90
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here is a custom made one on a Sightseer RV (F-53) chassis. Watch at the very beginning how the rear of the motorhome drops as it lifts the bike:

(I'd also guess that the BMW bike he is lifting is a bit lighter than something like a Harley or a Goldwing.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #91

State: New Jersey
THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Just saying an F-53 Ford chassis could easily handle the weight of a heavy motorcycle if motorhome is designed for it -- without the need for much more expensive diesel pusher. GVWR range of 16,000 to 26,000 pounds leaves a lot of room to work with for extra cargo (and 800 pounds isn't that much for a truck frame).

Also, a garage limited to size of a motorcycle would not affect floorplan nearly as much as a typical toy hauler does. Nor would it add as much weight. If there was more demand maybe manufacturers would build more motorcycle-specific RVs.

By the way, Google it and see a few RVers hanging large Harleys off the back of small Class Cs.
I have a 2018, 37rb. The garage has a 2500 pound capacity. It is 10 ft long by 8 ft wide. I can put a small car in there under 2500 pounds. It handles my ultra limited easily on one side of the garage. I have a chpck in there and only need two straps in the back
Old 12-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #92

THOR #8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The 102" width limit doesn't include mirrors, so wide-body motorhomes have been in that range for years. I honestly don't know whether awning is included. If we allow for doors on either side of garage, it couldn't be more than about 100". Your idea of loading bike at angle could help.

Another option would be to have a longer longitudinal but narrow garage on one side of RV. If it were 4-ft wide, the area next to it could be incorporated into living area; perhaps a bathroom behind bedroom. There was an aero toy hauler trailer I saw at RV shows a few times (can't recall name/brand) that was like that. The door was roughly half the with of trailer, meant for motorcycles, ATVs, etc. A similar concept could work for a motorhome without giving up so much living space.

I do like small enclosed garages so toys don't get left out where people can see and get to them.
I have a class a toy hauler The Outlaw. My garage inside is 8 feet wide. It will not fit in my ultra limited sideways which is just over 8 feet long. However it will hold two Harleys, side by side
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #93
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser123 View Post
I have a 2018, 37rb. The garage has a 2500 pound capacity. It is 10 ft long by 8 ft wide. I can put a small car in there under 2500 pounds. It handles my ultra limited easily on one side of the garage. I have a chpck in there and only need two straps in the back
How about a picture of that garage earning it's keep?

(The garage is my Class C Outlaw is 8x9... )
Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #94

THOR #8931
The file is too big. The RV is in storage. I'll have to get a picture of it later and resend it sorry
Old 12-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #95

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser123 View Post
Thank you.

My point was that it shouldn't necessarily take a diesel pusher to haul a Harley off the back bumper "IF" gasser is designed correctly. Your toy hauler, while a little different situation, proves it can be done. Simple math (OK, maybe not so simple) indicates that chassis rails on the F-53 can handle quite a bit of bending load.

Another example of what can be done when designed properly are wheel-lift wreckers that can lift the front end of cars well behind a Ford F-550 truck's rear axle. These frames are similar to the F-53 motorhome chassis, yet are lifting auto front ends exceeding 3,000 pounds. An 800-pound bike shouldn't be that difficult by comparison.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #96
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Chance...
The fact that the weight has been moved forward (By a HUGE amount!); makes all of the difference in the World.
Hanging 800 pounds or so off the rear of the frame rails, is a horse of a completely different color.
His garage is rated for 2500 pounds: mine is only good for 1500...
Old 05-25-2023, 01:39 AM   #97

State: Florida
THOR #29363
Old thread I know.... but

I just bought a Pit Bull TRS as mentioned earlier in this thread. I plan on mounting it up in the garage of my Outlaw 29J for my Yamaha FJR1300. Hopefully I can install it and post some pics this weekend.

Check out this pic of these 3 Pit Bull TRS's
(notice the background on the right of the pic)

https://imgur.com/a/Rl3t4yB
Old 05-25-2023, 05:36 AM   #98

THOR #29363
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	42067
Old 06-04-2023, 03:20 PM   #99

THOR #29363
Here's a couple pics of the Pit-Bull TRS on my FJR1300 in the Outlaw.

No wheel chocks or tie downs to trip over!

Plus when the bike is unloaded there's only a flat plate left on the RV floor.

Name:	Image (1).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	42192

Name:	Image (3).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	42193

Name:	fjr pit bull pin close up.jpg