Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #41
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post
What kind of a hit does pulling the bike in a trailer make on our already-wonderful 9.5 MPG E450 V-10 gas engine?
Probably not much: Pulling a car I don't think we lose more than 0.5-1.0 mpg tops. Its small enough that its lost in the noise.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
What kind of a hit does pulling the bike in a trailer make on our already-wonderful 9.5 MPG E450 V-10 gas engine?
It might actually HELP your fuel mileage a little bit...
The reason: It should help with the overall _aero-package" of your rig. Being a bit narrower than the rig: it should help to reduce that area of negative pressure that latches onto your rear bumper.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #43

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I've been trailering motorcycles since the mid-80s and Gold Wings since the early 90s and have pulled them for over 50,000 miles. I have never had a problem with any of my bikes being damaged during the towing process. I use a Condor chock, which is easy to load and unload and holds the bike very securely until I get the four tie-downs tightened. The Condor doesn't require that you cinch down the bike in the front much, so the suspension isn't stressed.

When beginning a trip I check the bike after the first few miles and then check it at almost every stop thereafter.

I remove the side covers on my 2008 Wing and attach two soft straps to the frame, and then ratchet tie downs to the soft straps. The straps can remain under the side covers permanently.

The only damage that I've had to the Wing was when the ramp on the toy hauler was too steep and I damaged the coolant recovery tank, which is in a very vulnerable location under the wing. I repaired the tank but it began leaking, until it completely drained out, and it's been empty for the past several years.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #44

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1946 View Post
I use a Rampage motorcycle lift in the bed of our Ford Ranger. .... [/URL]
Which model Ford Ranger do you have? I have been giving your setup a thought but wonder how well it would carry a Gold Wing.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #45

Model: Magellan
State: Florida
THOR #6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Which model Ford Ranger do you have? I have been giving your setup a thought but wonder how well it would carry a Gold Wing.

2010 Ranger, 4 cyl., manual trans. no frills everything.
Base curb weight, 3,030lb
Payload capacity, 1,260lb
GVWR, 4,380lb

Ranger 3030
Rampage 350
Ultra 827

That puts me at 4,207lb with the Ultra and 3,900 with FXR. Still below my 5,000 lb MH hitch rating. I travel with the least amount of weight with the Ranger 1/4 tank of fuel etc. Our coach was 4 corner weighed and i am 600lb under on a 22,000lb Ford F53 chassis.

Bought it 4yr ago for a toad and MC hauler from a Ford dealer with 86,000 well cared for Florida miles & 1 owner. Only thing i've done to it in the 4yr's is a battery, tires (higher load rating Hannoks) and coil pack plus the normal maintenance. Oh i did add aftermarket carpet, new radio and speakers. Never thought i'd need/want a truck but boy am i glad i did.

When we camp and don't bring the Bike the truck bed comes in handy for toys and stuff.

When reasearching the rampage lift i gave them a call and was told many have been put in Rangers.
The picture with the bike is before i did the suspension upgrades.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	7868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	7869  

Name:	IMG_1225.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	7870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	7871  

bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #46
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Our recent trip pulling the trailer to Colorado in July,...Ron sez he really didn't notice that much difference..he runs about 65 .. and much slower going up grade at altitude...it gets to the point where we don't check mpg on each fillup..it is what it is and nothing is going to make much difference. I generally do the math when we fillup...we average 8 -10 depending on driving conditions with or without trailer.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #47

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
A diesel pusher will hold the weight of a large motorcycle hung on the rear. I wouldn't carry more than a lightweight motorcycle or scooter on the rear of a gas powered RV.
Here is one example of a smaller/lighter motorcycle behind a relatively small older Trek. A motorcycle/scooter garage would be even better in my opinion.

If they can make gasoline-powered toy haulers that can carry 1,500 ponds or more, I don't see why they couldn't also make a MH with capacity for 800-pound motorcycle (preferably in enclosed bike garage).

I'd be interested in knowing whether these larger Harleys and Hondas exceed 8'-6" in length which could limit hauling transverly in MH. They must not because I occassionally see them on lifts behind DPs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3109.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	7965  
Old 11-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
A motorcycle/scooter garage would be even better in my opinion.
If they can make gasoline-powered toy haulers that can carry 1,500 ponds or more, I don't see why they couldn't also make a MH with capacity for 800-pound motorcycle (preferably in enclosed bike garage).
They DO make them, and I own one.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1511713080

Is it perfect? Not yet... It could use a bit more carrying capacity, and we're working on that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	The Outlaw is Home 005.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	7966  
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #49
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
They DO make them, and I own one.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1511713080

Is it perfect? Not yet... It could use a bit more carrying capacity, and we're working on that.
Just don't put anything heavy in there until you're parked
Old 11-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #50
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Believe meL: If I can talk the Missus into getting behind the steering wheel; I'll happily spend MY time behind bars...
handlebars: that is!
Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Just saying an F-53 Ford chassis could easily handle the weight of a heavy motorcycle if motorhome is designed for it -- without the need for much more expensive diesel pusher. GVWR range of 16,000 to 26,000 pounds leaves a lot of room to work with for extra cargo (and 800 pounds isn't that much for a truck frame).

Also, a garage limited to size of a motorcycle would not affect floorplan nearly as much as a typical toy hauler does. Nor would it add as much weight. If there was more demand maybe manufacturers would build more motorcycle-specific RVs.

By the way, Google it and see a few RVers hanging large Harleys off the back of small Class Cs.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #52
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree... The Class A Outlaws are a GREAT package.
But we bought the Class C...
Old 11-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #53

THOR #2121
I did not mean to imply that because I don't like the way they are designed; particularly in context of hauling a single motorcycle.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #54
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
If you want to haul just a bike, why not a slide out garage...

Ok, yeah I just love the video for the "mistakes" they show! LOL
Old 11-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #55

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

That's too funny -- glad no one got hurt.

The 4X9 garage size seems much more efficient than typical toy hauler if only carrying one motorcycle.

Many designs place the motorcycle low and across the very back of motorhome, taking no more than 4 feet of length, and often less because they place part of the bed or a storage closet above garage. Basically it's the same layout Europeans use for bicycles but super-sized for motorhomes.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #56

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
.....I'd be interested in knowing whether these larger Harleys and Hondas exceed 8'-6" in length which could limit hauling transverly in MH. They must not because I occassionally see them on lifts behind DPs.
My 2008 Gold Wing is just about 102 inches long. However I suspect RVs are all wider than 102 inches if the mirrors and awnings are included in the width.

I don't think it's simply the weight of a large motorcycle attached to the back of a motor home, it's the fact that it is attached so far behind the rear axle. And of course in addition to the weight of the motorcycle is the weight of the lift or carrier.

Large multi horse trailers load at an angle and if toy haulers did the same for one motorcycle, RVs would have more useable floor space.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'd also be more than a bit concerned about all of that weight piled up onto a platform that couldn't be any more rearward...

(My bike is 62.5"x105"...)
Old 11-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #58

THOR #2121
Quote:
My 2008 Gold Wing is just about 102 inches long. However I suspect RVs are all wider than 102 inches if the mirrors and awnings are included in the width.

I don't think it's simply the weight of a large motorcycle attached to the back of a motor home, it's the fact that it is attached so far behind the rear axle. And of course in addition to the weight of the motorcycle is the weight of the lift or carrier.

Large multi horse trailers load at an angle and if toy haulers did the same for one motorcycle, RVs would have more useable floor space.
The 102" width limit doesn't include mirrors, so wide-body motorhomes have been in that range for years. I honestly don't know whether awning is included. If we allow for doors on either side of garage, it couldn't be more than about 100". Your idea of loading bike at angle could help.

Another option would be to have a longer longitudinal but narrow garage on one side of RV. If it were 4-ft wide, the area next to it could be incorporated into living area; perhaps a bathroom behind bedroom. There was an aero toy hauler trailer I saw at RV shows a few times (can't recall name/brand) that was like that. The door was roughly half the with of trailer, meant for motorcycles, ATVs, etc. A similar concept could work for a motorhome without giving up so much living space.

I do like small enclosed garages so toys don't get left out where people can see and get to them.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #59

Model: Magellan
State: Florida
THOR #6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

That lift on the slide out garage sure does look like my Rampage lift.

Those fail videos that i've seen before were exactly why i got the Rampage lift.
bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1946 View Post
Those fail videos that i've seen before were exactly why i got the Rampage lift.
Awww... Where's you sense of adventure?
There's nothing that'll tighten a sphincter up faster; than a quick trip up an eight-inch wide ramp...