Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2023, 09:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #29080
LI-BIM 225 Install & The mystery wire!

Hey friends!

Want to hear something crazy! I started a YOUTUBE channel!

I have been learning SO much about RVs this past year. Nearly every video is created by guys and they are all made for people who already know too much.

I wanted to create a space to encourage other women to learn their way around the RV systems who are just getting started.

These videos are TRULY TERRIBLE.... but you have to start somewhere.
Why you need a BIM anyway -
My LI-BIM 225 Install -

Next up, are detailed videos on how I upgraded my battery bank.

Old 04-21-2023, 09:42 AM   #2
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Good for you. Wish you all the luck in the world. I will subscribe to them.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:35 AM   #3

State: California
THOR #25170
Installed our Lithium BIM 225 today on 2022 Thor Fourwinds

This saved me a lot of time. I ohm out the wires, everything stated here was correct. Note: Yes, some wires are different colors. My emergency start had a Yellow/Black versus Yellow/Red, and Purple versus Blue Ignition wire that changed to yellow after the 7.5 amp fuse on the engine wall. I couldn’t trace out the slide out wire.
You did a great job!
Old 05-21-2023, 02:05 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELC1973 View Post
This saved me a lot of time. I ohm out the wires, everything stated here was correct. Note: Yes, some wires are different colors. My emergency start had a Yellow/Black versus Yellow/Red, and Purple versus Blue Ignition wire that changed to yellow after the 7.5 amp fuse on the engine wall. I couldn’t trace out the slide out wire.
You did a great job!
Mine (wire colors) was same as yours. My coach (2020 24F) doesn't have a slide interlock wire attached directly to the BIM. Maybe there is one - possibly connected to the ignition circuit before the isolation manager.

I'll have to test it... start the engine and see if the slide extend switch works. Also, I don't think the engine should start either with the slide extended?? Regardless, those things are on our pre-departure checklist so I don't have a "senior moment".
Old 05-27-2023, 11:52 PM   #5

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggySue View Post
Hey friends!

Want to hear something crazy! I started a YOUTUBE channel!

I have been learning SO much about RVs this past year. Nearly every video is created by guys and they are all made for people who already know too much.

I wanted to create a space to encourage other women to learn their way around the RV systems who are just getting started.

These videos are TRULY TERRIBLE.... but you have to start somewhere.
Why you need a BIM anyway -
My LI-BIM 225 Install -

Next up, are detailed videos on how I upgraded my battery bank.

I converted my axis to 200 ah lithium and all I did was changed the converter charger to 45 amp left bim as is working fine. Alternator never overheats
Old 05-27-2023, 11:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
I converted my axis to 200 ah lithium and all I did was changed the converter charger to 45 amp left bim as is working fine. Alternator never overheats
How would you know?

Until it craps out.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:19 AM   #7

THOR #16721
The last few days while working on the MH I've heard the new Li-BIM "clunking" every so often, so it's working.

So I'm confident that it will keep the chassis battery charged while in storage next winter. The solar is keeping the LiFePO4 batteries at 100%... which may be another issue in itself. I've heard that LiFePO4 batteries don't necessarily like being kept in storage at a constant 100% charge.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:00 AM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
90% of what you read about li is strict and straight b.s..

If they absolutely hate and fight full charge you'll lose a month off of a 10 year, then 80% for another 10 years life.

The outlandishness of thinking
lab=life
Is
Outlandish.

No one should care about that one month vs 20 years.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 04:23 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
90% of what you read about li is strict and straight b.s..

If they absolutely hate and fight full charge you'll lose a month off of a 10 year, then 80% for another 10 years life.

The outlandishness of thinking
lab=life
Is
Outlandish.

No one should care about that one month vs 20 years.
Yep my dear old ma taught me to not believe everything I hear... and take things with a grain of salt. Now I have high blood pressure.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:28 PM   #10

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
How would you know?

Until it craps out.

Still working fine after 1600 mile trip to Florida and back in 80-95 degree heat
Old 06-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Still working fine after 1600 mile trip to Florida and back in 80-95 degree heat
Use an IR gun to check the alternator’s case temp while charging depleted Li batteries at idle during warm weather.

If you are under 210 F you will probably be ok. Otherwise it is only a matter of time before the alternator fails.

David
Old 06-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #12

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Use an IR gun to check the alternator’s case temp while charging depleted Li batteries at idle during warm weather.

If you are under 210 F you will probably be ok. Otherwise it is only a matter of time before the alternator fails.

David
What's your opinion on the Li-BIM as in protecting the alternator? I haven't driven ours since the lithium battery conversion. I hear it cycling (connect/disconnect) so I know it's doing what it's programmed to do. It's actually quite a bit louder (resonates on the firewall) when cycling. It would probably startle someone who wasn't aware of it.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
10,000 miles of Li-BIM experience so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
What's your opinion on the Li-BIM as in protecting the alternator? I haven't driven ours since the lithium battery conversion. I hear it cycling (connect/disconnect) so I know it's doing what it's programmed to do. It's actually quite a bit louder (resonates on the firewall) when cycling. It would probably startle someone who wasn't aware of it.
Since we installed two 105AH LiFePO4 batteries and the Li-BIM in our 2018 Vegas 24.1 in October 2021, we have driven 10,000 miles over the past 20 months. The alternator seems to be working fine in conjunction with the Li-BIM.

Reviewing data from our Victron shunt, the alternator output voltage to the lithium batteries is generally in the 14.2V to 14.6V; the cycling of the BIM is apparent on the graphical output; and the current flow from the alternator to the lithium batteries is generally in the 19A to 27A range, decreasing as the batteries near 100% SOC.

When running both the generator (through the WFCO Li-MBA converter) and the alternator, the current flow to the lithium batteries has been more around 38A to 47A, at 14.6V.

While we do carry an IR thermometer, we haven't yet bothered to measure the alternator temperature under the max load to the lithium batteries (first thing in the morning after startup delay). At 30A to 40A output, I can't imagine it stressing the alternator...just the dash Air Conditioner fans, headlights, and 30A-fused 12V power port (cigarette lighter) draw more than that amount.
(But the concern does give me a nice reason to ask my wife to keep that 12V hair dryer on low, or she will be replacing the 30A fuse at location 72).

Note that our experience is limited to a total of 210AH of LiFePO4 batteries.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:44 PM   #14

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey & Tana Jackson View Post
Since we installed two 105AH LiFePO4 batteries and the Li-BIM in our 2018 Vegas 24.1 in October 2021, we have driven 10,000 miles over the past 20 months. The alternator seems to be working fine in conjunction with the Li-BIM.

Reviewing data from our Victron shunt, the alternator output voltage to the lithium batteries is generally in the 14.2V to 14.6V; the cycling of the BIM is apparent on the graphical output; and the current flow from the alternator to the lithium batteries is generally in the 19A to 27A range, decreasing as the batteries near 100% SOC.

When running both the generator (through the WFCO Li-MBA converter) and the alternator, the current flow to the lithium batteries has been more around 38A to 47A, at 14.6V.

While we do carry an IR thermometer, we haven't yet bothered to measure the alternator temperature under the max load to the lithium batteries (first thing in the morning after startup delay). At 30A to 40A output, I can't imagine it stressing the alternator...just the dash Air Conditioner fans, headlights, and 30A-fused 12V power port (cigarette lighter) draw more than that amount.
(But the concern does give me a nice reason to ask my wife to keep that 12V hair dryer on low, or she will be replacing the 30A fuse at location 72).

Note that our experience is limited to a total of 210AH of LiFePO4 batteries.
So you have the legacy V-10... probably the same alternator as our 2020 E-350 cutaway. I also have 600 watts solar, so I've noticed the amps into the batteries (two 100Ah LiFePO4) drops dramatically as they near full charge. No guarantees, but I don't anticipate a situation where I'd drain the batteries enough to allow a high amperage charging situation... at least not for an extended period while driving. That was the basis of my question about the BIM.

Just for curiosity I may run the batteries down to below 50% or so, then measure the alternator amps at idle.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:46 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
But you have no idea if the alternator is running hot and having it's lifetime decreased.

It's like saying "I ate 5 Snickers bar last week and I don't have diabetes, so no harm and I'll keep on doing it". Some get away with it, most don't.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:19 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The Li BIM 225 cycles on and off so it probably cuts average current from the alternator in half. That should probably work for most installations of Li batteries up to 400 Ahs.

I wish someone would post measured current and case temps.

David
Old 06-02-2023, 02:46 AM   #17

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The Li BIM 225 cycles on and off so it probably cuts average current from the alternator in half. That should probably work for most installations of Li batteries up to 400 Ahs.

I wish someone would post measured current and case temps.

David
The best I can probably manage is measuring at idle with a clamp meter. No IR thermometer, so I may finegl a temp sensor on a voltmeter. Is that going to give anything useful?
Old 06-03-2023, 04:19 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #11769
Example of current to lithium batteries after a night of boondocking.

The attached report from our Victron shunt is an example of SOC and current for our 210AH of LiFePO4 batteries while at a Harvest Host overnight.
then rising and driving for several hours with both the generator and the alternator recharging the batteries.

Followed by a stop for refueling with gasoline and pancakes, then driving down the road again with just the BIM recharging the lithium batteries back up to 100% SOC.

The left side of the graph is overnight, with various steps down in SOC to about 80% and spikes down as our 120VAC refrigerator cycles on and off. The deepest current spike was when both the refrigerator was cycled on and the furnace kicked on simultaneously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27 April lithium battery.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	42169