Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2017, 03:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #9249
Motorcycle hauling

Is anyone hauling a motorcycle with a 2016 Thor Vegas? I have a 800 lb Honda Goldwing and was thinking a covered trailer but now considering a lift that gets welded to the rear frame and hauls the bike suspended behind the unit. We have no plans for a toad because the Wing would be our city car.

I notice when I wash the Vegas after each trip the road grime on the sides is worst from the bottom to about halfway up but is thick all the way to the roof on the back panel, I assume due to the vacuum that is created going down the road. I can handle that with a cover I think, and a lift would be better when the wife drives.

Anyone with experience?

Old 11-11-2017, 03:38 AM   #2

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
1 wheel trailer

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Q...AEsDh&pid=15.1
I was thinking the same for my Harley but figured that would be too much weight on the back of the rv. then I saw this, its a 1 wheel trailer,mounted to the hitch,so roughly 1/2 the tongue weight,since its 1 wheel,backing and turning shouldn't be a problem
Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 AM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Ron has a 6x10 trailer for his Yamaha dresser when we take it on trips..he has 3 chocks in the trailer, so he can haul more than one bike.
He, also, has a rack for the back of the Axis, for those times when he brings his Dual Sport Suzuki. The Suzuki weighs a little over 350lb...the Yamaha weights well over 500lbs...and Ron would not consider hanging it on the rear of the Axis.
However, with that said...last summer, when at Lake Powell, we saw a power lift on the rear of a Pusher, with a Harley on it.

Ron suggests you do complete research before hanging your GoldWing off the back of the Vegas .

Keep us all posted on what you wind up doing !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3655
I considered getting a rack for my Harley, but since my tongue weight limit was 500 lbs. I would have to get a class 5 hitch welded on. I was nervous about weight on the frame too, since an extension is welded on the stock frame. So I went with a 5 x 10 utility trailer, and added a chock. It works great. Only trouble is backing up since you cant see it in the mirrors, so I try to avoid that.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Stinger

We use a Stinger to haul our Fat Boy. Folds up at your site for easy storage. Easy to fold and unfold. Well built and low to the ground for ease in loading the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger3_Crop.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	7723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stinger4_crop.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	7724  

Name:	Stinger1_Crop.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	7725  
Old 11-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #6

Model: Vegas
State: Colorado
THOR #9249
Bruno, with open trailer like that do you notice the bike getting pounded with road grime due to the vacuum created by the MH going down the road?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Iron Horse makes a GREAT trailer for hauling bikes... Try Googling them to find their website.
They offer secure protection from all of the road grime and elements, and they might even improve your gas mileage by yielding a better aerodynamic package!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcouple View Post
Bruno, with open trailer like that do you notice the bike getting pounded with road grime due to the vacuum created by the MH going down the road?
Even with the Suzuki Dual Sport hanging off the back of the Axis on the rack..Ron sez , if it rains, etc. , the bike gets crud from the road kicked up from the tires...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Iron Horse makes a GREAT trailer for hauling bikes... Try Googling them to find their website.
They offer secure protection from all of the road grime and elements, and they might even improve your gas mileage by yielding a better aerodynamic package!
Bob...we have a 6x10 Stealth enclosed trailer ... We were curious about the Iron Horse....went to their site ... how does the Iron Horse compare in price to the standard enclosed trailer ? (we have a lot of extra room for 'stuff' when we bring the dresser in the trailer)

thanks K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #1812
I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer for the Harley, and have used a hitch mounted carrier for my former KLR 650. I did not like the feel of the hitch mounted carrier on the Vegas 24.1 even with the KLR - would certainly not use with a heavier bike.

I like the small ,enclosed trailer route - bike stays clean, undamaged, and unstolen !
Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Quote:
That is a drawback. If it rains or you run through mud it will end up on the bike just like any other towed vehicle. I suppose someone could bungee a cover to the bike but we have hauled ours quite a few times without any dings or any other damage. Same as when we are towing our car on a dolly. The beauty of the Stinger is that it folds up can be stored on your site out of the way.
Bob is right, IronHorse makes some nice trailers, (open and closed), I just don't know the cost difference. The Stinger runs about $2000 which includes the spare. I also don't like to store my towing device anyplace other than the site I am at. We looked at everything. including hydraulic lifts, single wheel trailers, but settled for what we have. The ease of unloading, maneuvering, and storing, plus the negligible weight of the trailer is what sold us on it.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan fowler View Post
I have a 5x8 enclosed trailer for the Harley, and have used a hitch mounted carrier for my former KLR 650. I did not like the feel of the hitch mounted carrier on the Vegas 24.1 even with the KLR - would certainly not use with a heavier bike.

I like the small ,enclosed trailer route - bike stays clean, undamaged, and unstolen !
Stan...Ron designed and had fabricated by a local steel company, his rack before they were on the commercial market...this is the 3rd motorhome he has had it on...he has extra supports so it does not sway or move. The thing is a beast ! As you know from our previous post..he would not hang anything bigger than the 650 Dual Sport on the back of the Axis.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #13

Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
We had an Ultimate open trailer that we used to carry my Victory Cross Country and her Can am Spyder. The bikes did get dirty especially if it rained. I have since ordered an Ironhorse WB EX enclosed model. I'm still waiting for delivery but from what I've read about it, should fit out needs quite handily.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Bob...we have a 6x10 Stealth enclosed trailer ... We were curious about the Iron Horse....went to their site ... how does the Iron Horse compare in price to the standard enclosed trailer ? (we have a lot of extra room for 'stuff' when we bring the dresser in the trailer)

thanks K
They're a Top-Quality trailer, with Top-Shelf pricing...
But you DO get what you pay for!
I researched getting one of their Wide-Body Trailers for our Can Am Spyder: it would have cost about twelve grand.
Dollar-wise it would have worked out the same for us...
One of the Compass models pulling that trailer was pretty much the same price at our Class C Outlaw Toy-Hauler.
But we're probably nine or ten feet shorter, with this setup!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Is anyone hauling a motorcycle with a 2016 Thor Vegas? I have a 800 lb Honda Goldwing and was thinking a covered trailer but now considering a lift that gets welded to the rear frame and hauls the bike suspended behind the unit. We have no plans for a toad because the Wing would be our city car.

I notice when I wash the Vegas after each trip the road grime on the sides is worst from the bottom to about halfway up but is thick all the way to the roof on the back panel, I assume due to the vacuum that is created going down the road. I can handle that with a cover I think, and a lift would be better when the wife drives.

Anyone with experience?
We looked at attaching a rear lift to the back of the MH for our Goldwing.

However, as we started looking most dealers that did install them said they could not install on a coach unless you have dual axles at the back.
Also, CW and others told us all the drilling and welding it would take would void any warranty on the coach.

So, I have a closed in trailer we use behind the pick up and I plan to use it with the motor home. Protecting the bike is my first priority. I would never cover the bike and pull it either. All the wind flapping the cover can cause scratching to the paint and chrome.
The lift cost VS pulling the trailer behind settled the issue for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:26 AM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
They're a Top-Quality trailer, with Top-Shelf pricing...
But you DO get what you pay for!
I researched getting one of their Wide-Body Trailers for our Can Am Spyder: it would have cost about twelve grand.
Dollar-wise it would have worked out the same for us...
One of the Compass models pulling that trailer was pretty much the same price at our Class C Outlaw Toy-Hauler.
But we're probably nine or ten feet shorter, with this setup!
That is a pretty hefty price for a motorcycle trailer...our Stealth cost us around 3K ... and is an awesome trailer. Since we don't pull it behind the motorhome on every trip, it serves the purpose well.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
After I spend over "Thirty-Large" for a bike; I figure that it deserves at least some pretty decent accommodations.
If I want to save money: I'll buy cheaper toilet paper...
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #18
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
After I spend over "Thirty-Large" for a bike; I figure that it deserves at least some pretty decent accommodations.
If I want to save money: I'll buy cheaper toilet paper...
Nice comment ! each to his own ... there is nothing wrong with either of our choices !! I was totally surprised that there was a motorcycle trailer in that price range ... Ron sez he knew about the Iron Horse .. he sez...nice trailer !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 11-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
How about some pics of your rig?
(and your bike?)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #20

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
I pull with an Aluma 2 bike open trailer. It gets a little dirty if it rains but not so back can't be cleaned easily. Rock guard is good for the big stuff.
I pull my 79 FLH or a 97 FXDWG. I can pull both if I want. Whole trailer just weights 600 lbs. It got to where I couldn't handle an enclosed trailer.
Plus I bought because of weight so I can pull easily w a 6 cyl Edge. Bike and trailer still under 12-1300 lbs. Works out good for me. Trailer came w 2 removable aluminum chocks and I installed a removable one in the middle so if I do pull one I'm fine and weight better distributed. Thx, Dennis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	7756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1567.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	7757