Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2023, 08:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #28915
Axxera head unit keep turning off-want to replace

We have a 2018 Freedom Elite 22F and the stupid head unit, Axxera is a piece of junk. I want to replace it with a unit with apple car play. Normally I would do it myself but since I had my double lung transplant I can't do much work on the couch anymore.

I assumed any stereo place would be able to do it but no one wants to touch it and the ones that do are asking 1000 bucks or more just for the installation. The do have to take a good portion of the dash out but it shouldn't cost that much to dismantle the dash in a ford E350. Everything just snaps together. The local RV dealer and camping world also said they won't do it.

Any suggestions who in east or southeast PA can do this? I prefer to provide the unit but I'm willing to buy the unit from them as long as it is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Fred
p.s. i don't need the camera function. I have separate (better) camera on the windshield.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:43 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbodr View Post
We have a 2018 Freedom Elite 22F and the stupid head unit, Axxera is a piece of junk. I want to replace it with a unit with apple car play. Normally I would do it myself but since I had my double lung transplant I can't do much work on the couch anymore.

I assumed any stereo place would be able to do it but no one wants to touch it and the ones that do are asking 1000 bucks or more just for the installation. The do have to take a good portion of the dash out but it shouldn't cost that much to dismantle the dash in a ford E350. Everything just snaps together. The local RV dealer and camping world also said they won't do it.

Any suggestions who in east or southeast PA can do this? I prefer to provide the unit but I'm willing to buy the unit from them as long as it is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Fred
p.s. i don't need the camera function. I have separate (better) camera on the windshield.

Check out this link

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_462350...?tp=72357&pg=2

Crutchfield should be able to provide a plug and play harness.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:58 PM   #3

THOR #28915
The link you sent doesn't seem to be a valid link. I have looked at what crutchfield has but nevertheless I need someone to do the installation.

Best,
FR
Old 01-26-2023, 09:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
The link you sent doesn't seem to be a valid link. I have looked at what crutchfield has but nevertheless I need someone to do the installation.

Best,
FR
Link works for me.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:59 PM   #5

THOR #28145
Quote:

Best,
FR
You might have redirects or something disabled in your browser. Try copying the link and pasting it into the address bar in your browser. Also, I am surprised Camping World will not do the install since they do sell at least one RV NAV radio themselves. That radio is the Kenwood DNX775RVS, it is a high-end radio so expect about $1,000.00 just for the radio.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:25 PM   #6

THOR #28915
Yep. CW will install Kenwood but they don't have anything else that is more reasonable in price they will install.

FR
Old 01-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you have the patience... Get a responsible younger family member (or neighbor kid, grandkid, etc.) and use this as a learning experience... and pay them well.

If you know how to do it (I figured it out from YouTube videos), you supervise and instruct... they do the work .

In the process you've accomplished two things: You got a project accomplished, and the kid learned something AND made a few bucks! A win-win.

P.S. As far as head units, any double DIN with video in/out will work.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:08 PM   #8

THOR #28145
Quote:
Yep. CW will install Kenwood but they don't have anything else that is more reasonable in price they will install.

FR
I am installing the Kenwood radio in my ACE 30.3. The main reason is that I have been spoiled by in vehicle navigation since 2012. While Apple Car-Play or Android Auto and Google Maps is great for urban navigation Google maps simply sucks for Highway navigation. My biggest issue with google maps is that it keeps trying to route me on a "Better" "faster" route without the consideration that anything that requires stopping or turning in an RV is a serious time killer. So, I am choosing to install a High end Nav radio that does not rely on Google for navigation. In addition, I get navigation based on the size, height, and weight of my rig, something Google Maps does not provide. Since you have a smaller Class C you can probably make do with a system intended for passenger vehicles. But If I were you, I would at least consider getting a unit that has built in navigation simply because using Car-Play or Android Auto ties up your phone so you cannot use it for other things, like making/changing reservation, while driveing,

Old 01-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If you have the patience... Get a responsible younger family member (or neighbor kid, grandkid, etc.) and use this as a learning experience... and pay them well.

If you know how to do it (I figured it out from YouTube videos), you supervise and instruct... they do the work .

In the process you've accomplished two things: You got a project accomplished, and the kid learned something AND made a few bucks! A win-win.

P.S. As far as head units, any double DIN with video in/out will work.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-01-2023, 07:43 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
I got "page not found" using two different browsers.

I have not much good to say about the Axxera. I think that it would take a lot of effort to design something that bad. But mine is still working to a fashion so I will delay replacing it. I will check out the Crutchfield website.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:13 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
I got "page not found" using two different browsers.

I have not much good to say about the Axxera. I think that it would take a lot of effort to design something that bad. But mine is still working to a fashion so I will delay replacing it. I will check out the Crutchfield website.
I reformatted the link for you so try this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ndx4h0b...?tp=72357&pg=2

The best cure for my Axxera was to use only the remote and use a separate 11" screen for the cameras. The Axxera screen is way to low to be used for navigation. All six speakers in the coach were replaced and that really improved the music from the Axxera and Jensen. I had to raise the floor in the upper cabinets to get decent 6.25' speakers above the love seat. I don't listen to the radio when traveling as I find it distracting. I prefer watching the scenery, listening to my DW and listening to my Garmin point me in the proper direction.

Fixed hyperlink
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0807_091052AA.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	40741  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:54 PM   #12

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Likely moot for your decisions now. But our Axerra that kept turning off turned out to be the plug in the back. Its wires were gathered and zip tied so tightly, that it put a strain on a good connection for the wires at the extreme ends of the plug, which turned out to be the power and ground wires to the radio.

edit in: and I was dealing with the problem for 3 years! Trying alternatives for the back up camera, like adding the Garmin (made for RV's to program in length & height), and installing a second back-up camera to the rig off the Garmin. A boombox Sirrius radio, antenna, and plugging in to the inverter entertainment outlet on the road, while entertaining the replacement of it and finally pulling the dash (I was intimidated, but did not buy another radio).
LOL
Old 03-20-2023, 02:09 PM   #13

THOR #28145
Add me to the list of Axxera radio owners that have problems with the radio turning off. In my case it appears that the problem is that the radio has lost power because it also resets the time and default settings. I just drove a 4500-mile road trip, but the problem did not show up till the last two days. Fortunately, I am already planning to replace the radio with a NAV radio. Navigating using Google map simply sucks. I was miss routed several times on this trip.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:45 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Add me to the list of Axxera radio owners that have problems with the radio turning off. In my case it appears that the problem is that the radio has lost power because it also resets the time and default settings. I just drove a 4500-mile road trip, but the problem did not show up till the last two days. Fortunately, I am already planning to replace the radio with a NAV radio. Navigating using Google map simply sucks. I was miss routed several times on this trip.
Sounds like a loss of chassis "keep-alive" power. Might want to trace that down before replacing as the replacement radio may suffer the same loss of power accident.

Tags
axxera