Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2022, 12:35 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 18
THOR #25455
Mpg chips.

Do mpg performance chips help gas mileage? Or is it just hype?

__________________
tspeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:54 AM   #2
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 587
THOR #17478
When using performance chips, you are usually going for an increase of torque and horse power. To do so generally takes fuel and run the engine hotter, but boy you will go up hill! To get better fuel millage, put a wood block under your pedal.
__________________
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Honda CRV
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 3,391
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeck View Post
Do mpg proformance chips help gas mileage? Or is it just hype
Yes & Yes
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 5,218
THOR #13932
The five star chip will do well on that generation of transmission.
It's girl racer crap for hp.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,341
THOR #12751
There are lots of variables..... it depends on the engine, vehicle and the goals of the intended tune.

I was a bit skeptical but I put a Green Diesel Engineering Tune into my 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L "Baby" Duramax diesel.

GDE's tune was designed to achieve an increase in HP, torque and MPG (2 - 4MPG increase) across a broader range of the RPM curve. I can say it met those goals... including the MPG.

Before the tune when we drive from Pittsburgh, PA to Cape Coral, FL it took us two fuel stops to make the 1180 mile drive with a 21 gallon tank. We would use about about 43 - 45 gallons for the trip. I would often be running 70 - 80mph where possible.

After the tune we could make it on one fuel stop. It was taking us about 35 - 36 gallons to make the trip and again running 70 - 80mph where possible.

I did use the Five Star Tune in my old Outlaw 29H on the E450 w/ V10 Triton. It did improve shifting.. especially entering the highway from a ramp and on hills but it did nothing for fuel economy. It actually was the same to getting 1/2 MPG less.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 3,391
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There are lots of variables..... it depends on the engine, vehicle and the goals of the intended tune.

I was a bit skeptical but I put a Green Diesel Engineering Tune into my 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L "Baby" Duramax diesel.

GDE's tune was designed to achieve an increase in HP, torque and MPG (2 - 4MPG increase) across a broader range of the RPM curve. I can say it met those goals... including the MPG.

Before the tune when we drive from Pittsburgh, PA to Cape Coral, FL it took us two fuel stops to make the 1180 mile drive with a 21 gallon tank. We would use about about 43 - 45 gallons for the trip. I would often be running 70 - 80mph where possible.

After the tune we could make it on one fuel stop. It was taking us about 35 - 36 gallons to make the trip and again running 70 - 80mph where possible.

I did use the Five Star Tune in my old Outlaw 29H on the E450 w/ V10 Triton. It did improve shifting.. especially entering the highway from a ramp and on hills but it did nothing for fuel economy. It actually was the same to getting 1/2 MPG less.
Did you have any problems with emissions or subsequent state inspections? Some states don't require inspections; in Texas it is rigorous and at times very costly to resolve the many reasons that emissions may fail. I have all kinds of equipment to diagnose Check engine lights and to reset or whatever just to keep my car legally on the road. I worry about anything that could make it worse?
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Judge's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
Posts: 3,341
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Did you have any problems with emissions or subsequent state inspections? Some states don't require inspections; in Texas it is rigorous and at times very costly to resolve the many reasons that emissions may fail. I have all kinds of equipment to diagnose Check engine lights and to reset or whatever just to keep my car legally on the road. I worry about anything that could make it worse?

No inspection for Florida…… but the other goal for Green Diesel Engineering Tune was to still meet all EPA emissions requirements, which they did achieve based on their testing.
__________________
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
Posts: 22,089
THOR #8860
Sometimes the addition of a chip; will give you a "Check Engine" warning light.
__________________
"What: me worry?"
Good Sam Member 843599689
Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 02:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,491
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeck View Post
Do mpg performance chips help gas mileage? Or is it just hype?
Ford and most other RV engine manufactures have not had replaceable chips in the ECU for some time. Modern ECUs can be reprogrammed by using a "tuner" .

To answer your question, no there is little to no increase in fuel mileage to be obtained by reprogramming the ECU. Most RV get their best fuel mileage at 45 mph as wind resistance and rolling resistance increase significantly above that speed. Reducing your traveling weight can also increase your fuel mileage.
What a ECU programmer can do is make the throttle more direct (increase sensitivity), significantly change the shift points in the transmission and increase the HP at WOT slightly. All of the items will likely DECREASE fuel mileage, but the coach will be infinitely more enjoyable to drive (NMHO).
The forgoing applies to atmospheric intake engines. Turbo charged or supercharged engine can often see fuel mileage and torque improvements by reprogramming the ECU.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 5,218
THOR #13932
In fairness, since we don't know SQUAT about the op:
My 8.1 liter when tuned by blackbear picked up 60hp and about the same in torque while going from 11mpg to 14+. There's more there, but it requires an injector upsizing,

But
I think the 8.1 is unique in tuning.
My 5.3 couldn't pick up 3hp and .5 mpg.

There is nothing for the ford v10 that is actual and not butt sense.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 3,391
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Most RV get their best fuel mileage at 45 mph as wind resistance and rolling resistance increase significantly above that speed. Reducing your traveling weight can also increase your fuel mileage.
I get 8 mpg now, 2019 F-53 V10, what is your best guess as to what my theoretical mpg might be if I actually drove it 45 mpg? (No relevant winds, all interstate highway, 87 octane gas, under 1000 feet above sea level, no towed, yellow sticker air pressure and properly inflated, and well under OCCC)

I am too much of Speedy Gonzales type to try this experiment in real life, but if it gets me say 16 mpg, I might be willing to slow down if it may save me $500 one trip.
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 5,218
THOR #13932
I won't impede traffic just to save me some money.
Its a very familiar and very telling dick of a decision.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Travelin' Texans's Avatar
 
Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
Posts: 1,653
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I get 8 mpg now, 2019 F-53 V10, what is your best guess as to what my theoretical mpg might be if I actually drove it 45 mpg? (No relevant winds, all interstate highway, 87 octane gas, under 1000 feet above sea level, no towed, yellow sticker air pressure and properly inflated, and well under OCCC)

I am too much of Speedy Gonzales type to try this experiment in real life, but if it gets me say 16 mpg, I might be willing to slow down if it may save me $500 one trip.
Theoretically you'll get 8.5 mpg at 45 mph & in some states a ticket for impeding traffic.
On a good day downhill with a stiff tail wind doing 45mph that Ford V10 might get 10mpg, the only way it could get 16 is by being towed & that's a bit of a stretch.
That engine was designed to give near equal hp & torque of a diesel engine, came close, on gasoline, but in order to do that it requires fuel & plenty of it.
As with most bolt on goodies you may notice a bit of performance increase, but in most cases not enough improvement to ever recoup.the investment.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Sold '13 Thor Redwood 36 FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently RV & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 3,391
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Theoretically you'll get 8.5 mpg at 45 mph & in some states a ticket for impeding traffic.
On a good day downhill with a stiff tail wind doing 45mph that Ford V10 might get 10mpg, the only way it could get 16 is by being towed & that's a bit of a stretch.
That engine was designed to give near equal hp & torque of a diesel engine, came close, on gasoline, but in order to do that it requires fuel & plenty of it.
As with most bolt on goodies you may notice a bit of performance increase, but in most cases not enough improvement to ever recoup.the investment.

Great So on a 422 mile 6.5 hr trip, I don't care to make it a 9.3 hr trip driving at 45 mph to save 50 miles worth of gas or $27.64. I save that my crossing over the freeway to during an exit for the cheaper gas if it happens to be on other side
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
dkoldman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
Posts: 3,391
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I won't impede traffic just to save me some money.
Its a very familiar and very telling dick of a decision.
I can't drive 55 mph without going nutty. Driving 45 would be like trying to count the the white dashes in the middle of interstate.... Vegas could place a over under for me at 5 min. Warning: I don't condone gambling; but if you take this bet, I would not advise on betting for me to make the 5 min at 45 mph.

Speaking of impeding and I know a lot of former truck drivers drive RVs, but truck drivers seem to enjoy for any reason or excuse to pull in front of my RV to slow me down. It is as they see me pull into left passing lane they know I am about to pass, but if they see something they may overtake 5 miles down the road they pull over anyway just to annoy me. And then they wish to flip the dirty bird if I pass them on the right
__________________
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet w/WiFi6; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:04 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
Posts: 3,491
THOR #6411
You can buy a OBD-2 to Bluetooth dongle for your 1992 or later vehicle and download Torque Lite App to your smart phone (assuming you have one). The program uses the injector duty cycle and the vehicle's speed to compute real-time fuel estimate. The more costly Torque Pro will add more functions. I wasn't advocating speed, only what I have observed.
__________________
Jim & Roy Davis
2016 Hurricane 31S
1961 Rampside in tow
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:37 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
State: Arizona
Posts: 18
THOR #25455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeck View Post
Do mpg performance chips help gas mileage? Or is it just hype?
Anything for a chevy 6.0 class c 4500
__________________
tspeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:08 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Elite Washington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 961
THOR #6433
Hard to make a big cinder block getting better gas mileage. I will say on our class c if I keep the speed 62-64 we can get 8-9 miles per gallon. And if it’s 65-70 get around 7 and anything over 70 it’s like lighting 100.00 bills on fire.
__________________
2017 Freedom Elite 30fe 2013 Wrangler Unlimited toad.
Elite Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 02:53 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
ducksface's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
Posts: 5,218
THOR #13932
Few engines get worse mileage than a 6.0.
If a 5.3 will get 18
A 6.0 gets 12.
__________________
Below is a link to most of my modifications either accomplished or pending.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:01 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Elite Washington's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
Posts: 961
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Few engines get worse mileage than a 6.0.
If a 5.3 will get 18
A 6.0 gets 12.
I have two friends both with. 6.0 one is a 2005 and the other is a 2011 but struggle to get to 11 mpg. My 5.3 gets 16 to 20 depending on speed. Just crazy how much different the mileage is.
__________________
Elite Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2