Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Ohio
THOR #10566
Murphy Bed in the Garage

Hey. Got around to finishing the mounting of our Murphy Bed in our 29H Toy Hauler garage space. We've been using it it enought that i didn't have time(i'm TERRIBLE with time management) to make the modification to the bed frame to attach it to the wall.

I found the bed frame setup online thru some goodgle searches. It's from Europe. Wallkingbed I believe. It's a horizontal style Full size. It's great because this size and set up allows us to keep our wall cabinets which we need for storage. The changes needed were the way Thor builds the walls. There are no studs every soo inches like in a traditional wall. Just for the fun of it i bought that device that you plugs into your phone and you use their app. It's called Walabot. I wanted to see what was behind the panels. I decided to keep things simple an just use the same location that the folding benches used after we removed them. So I placed the bed where we wanted it and took measurements and went up to Home Depot and bought some 3/4" square tubing and some flat stock to extend the bed frame out to the studs in the wall for the original bench mounts. This is needed to hold the bed upright and also from rolling forward when the bed is down and in uses.
The bed uses a gas cartridge strut to assist lifting the bed and holding it in place when it's folded out of the way but I will be getting some more click style straps to help secure it while driving down the road. We also had to come up with a way to support the end of the bed that was above the ramp entrance. i used 2 5/16" carrriage bolts thru the bed frame and to the floor and extended the fold out leg of the bed. I went to walmart and bought and nice inexpensive memory foam mattress and we are using a topper that we had originally as well. Other than this we love it. My girlfriend has a "Real Bed" now and we have our garage space back in a minute. WE still kept the driver side folding bench for eating inside with bad weather.

Hope this helps with ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3423.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	20268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	20269  

Name:	IMG_3428.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	20270   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3430.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	20271  

Name:	IMG_3432.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	20272  

Old 09-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I like that a lot better than the twin Jackknife sofas that we had.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1568475627
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	20276  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I like that a lot better than the twin Jackknife sofas that we had.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1568475627
Thanks Bob. The original setup was cool and multi functional but this is more even of a surface to lay on and more simple to setup and break down in the morning.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That skinny little one-foot wide "Tweener": was always a pain in the butt anyway!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
My wife showed me your pictures on Facebook. I would like to install 2 twins (one on each side) to make a king. I think they would just about meet in the middle or overlap by 1".

Problem is on the driver side the fuel tank filler tube comes out of the all and into the floor right where the frame would need to mount to the wall.

Trying to figure out how I could deal with that....
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
My wife showed me your pictures on Facebook. I would like to install 2 twins (one on each side) to make a king. I think they would just about meet in the middle or overlap by 1".

Problem is on the driver side the fuel tank filler tube comes out of the all and into the floor right where the frame would need to mount to the wall.

Trying to figure out how I could deal with that....
Well the design leaves a little too much space away from the wall when open from where they have the pivot point because they want to keep the mattress off the ground. if you are ok or know of a friend that has a mig welder you could modify the frame to not only allow for the two apposing beds but also to make the frame be around the fuel fill tube?

The frame set up was worth the money because it came with everything. even straps to hold down the mattress when not in use. the slats work nice. the bed frame ends are bolted together so it's not like you have this enormous contraption to take somewhere if you had all your measurements already. Good luck. Hope you get it figured out!
Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That skinny little one-foot wide "Tweener": was always a pain in the butt anyway!
yeah it broke the first night. so when i was looking at that i ended up cutting the legs to make it level with the folding benches. Like you said, we now have one thing to do instead of multiple and we don't have to accommodate that bench in our travels now.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver35 View Post
Well the design leaves a little too much space away from the wall when open from where they have the pivot point because they want to keep the mattress off the ground. if you are ok or know of a friend that has a mig welder you could modify the frame to not only allow for the two apposing beds but also to make the frame be around the fuel fill tube?

The frame set up was worth the money because it came with everything. even straps to hold down the mattress when not in use. the slats work nice. the bed frame ends are bolted together so it's not like you have this enormous contraption to take somewhere if you had all your measurements already. Good luck. Hope you get it figured out!
That's a good idea. I didn't want to have to pay all that money for two frames only have to cut and weld but that may be the answer if the frames are good quality. I would like

It would be nice to have a real bed... especially two twins to make a king. We do like the size of two sofas together but it is far from a good bed.

We removed the jackknife sofa in the living room and replaced it with the RecPro recliners so we use the bed in the garage. After we pull the Spyder out my wife turns it into a master suite with a carpet and curtains over the ramp etc.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

Model: Outlaw
State: Georgia
THOR #16634
That is so nice! Someday .....
Old 09-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #10

THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
That's a good idea. I didn't want to have to pay all that money for two frames only have to cut and weld but that may be the answer if the frames are good quality. I would like

It would be nice to have a real bed... especially two twins to make a king. We do like the size of two sofas together but it is far from a good bed.

We removed the jackknife sofa in the living room and replaced it with the RecPro recliners so we use the bed in the garage. After we pull the Spyder out my wife turns it into a master suite with a carpet and curtains over the ramp etc.
Man i wish you were closer, i would love to help you. Do you have a vocational school near you that you could deal with? if you got everything ready for them it would be an easy job. Since we've done this it has made this rv soo more friendly for my girl friend and i feel better about going this route than the really nice Sunseeker we were looking at before this. I just got a "extendaroom" that we tried out and it actually works on our ramp so I will be adding that to the new modifications that we have done. 2 years and loving this thing more! Let me know if there's something i can measure or take a picture of for you to help you figure someting out!
Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #11

THOR #10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dede View Post
That is so nice! Someday .....
Thanks. if you are handy or know someone that is try making it yourself. You can use an old bed frame to start. I was just pressed for time and really wanted it for a trip we were taking so i bought this. Good luck!