Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Yeh, I have no idea what's going on in this forum and I'm not much for gadgets and I try to cheap out at every possible opportunity. I'd never do a mod with any technology adapted

Top of the line dream system is the question.
Bells and whistles are great things but one more link in the chain. You see the new rigs coming out and you have to wonder. Auto commode lids, auto commode flush...I'm looking for the auto driver and the auto "take the holes out of the interstates" option.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
My scissor jacks are mounted on the chassis just in front of the door and same other side, they're both 7500lbs and, as I seem to always be parked 'front end slightly down' they work fine. I can get up to 6" lift and that's plenty, we had bigger rv's in the past and always had hydraulic jacks and really missed them, but here, NIreland, I'm not paying £5k for a set to be fitted. I've another set for the rear when I get time, but we've LPG tanks back there so they could be a tricky fit.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
BAL Scissor jacks (these are 7500 lb capacity per jack, my Axis weighs in at 11,500 lbs):
Attachment 24426

Attachment 24427

Attachment 24428
Yep, those are the ones, cheap and nothing to go wrong.... apart from forgetting they're down of course...
Old 06-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #24

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
My scissor jacks are mounted on the chassis just in front of the door and same other side, they're both 7500lbs and, as I seem to always be parked 'front end slightly down' they work fine. I can get up to 6" lift and that's plenty, we had bigger rv's in the past and always had hydraulic jacks and really missed them, but here, NIreland, I'm not paying £5k for a set to be fitted. I've another set for the rear when I get time, but we've LPG tanks back there so they could be a tricky fit.
Save that money for the pub. LOL
Old 06-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Yeh, I have no idea what's going on in this forum and I'm not much for gadgets and I try to cheap out at every possible opportunity. I'd never do a mod with any technology adapted

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #26

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
I used Bullseye Levelers, if you look at the website seems a lot of folks aren’t to pleased with them but I installed ours a few years back and have had no issues at all with them, push a button and self levels, electric, no hydraulic reservoir. Each leg has two motors, one to lift/level the other to fold the unit up to the frame, real happy with them.Attachment 25225Attachment 25226
Old 07-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #27

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Thanks.
I always assumed I'd like the electric Units better and an easier repair and no loss of space with the pump install.
I'll do some added research.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:16 PM   #28

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Duckface, I like my Big Foots but they would limit your clearance if going though ditches etc. But any system would unless you get a kick down system.

You mention your custom belly box under the rear of your RV so Kickdown may not work for you.

But you could purchase any reg. hydraulic system. Install them normal .... so They would 3 or 4 inches higher than mine due to your lift...... and just use 4 inches of blocks under each jack? That would simplify your install and give you max clearance when driving. Just a thought.

The Bigfoot have 13 inch of travel.... They recomend 6 around or 7 inches of clearance to give you 5 to 6 inches of lift (which will not raise my rears off the ground totally... but Its close.... But my front will be an inch or two off the ground without blocks. Thats they way I have mine set up. I could raise them 1 inch (or two) each (mine are bolted on).

But Im fraid any jack you pick will limit your clearance.... so thats something to think about.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #29

THOR #13932
I have the ability and many of the parts to just go ahead and make my own hydraulic jacks.
I'm considering considering thinking about possibly slightly considering using some rams up through the floor. Shock type towers under each bed and one up through each of the bongo bins. They'd be manual to level but I bet an app and ten times and I'd be pretty quick at it.

That big box between the Frame rails will modify easily. It's welded solid to itself, but it bolts to the frame with brackets.
We'll go to Indiana sometime before the end of the year and have the whw and electric lift company look at it(they both have kick downs). If they balk, I'll just build my own.

Getting the tires off the ground is tantamount only to leveling.
(I don't give a flying patoot about level and we almost never use the slide, but the spousal unit tends to make smashed cat sounds about level....)

We won't do blocks. Don't care enough to learn that dance. We carry the Legos. The rv came with FORTY FOUR of them(four bags whatever is in those bags) . Have never even considered using them.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #30

THOR #12231
Yep, I have done that lego block dance a few times. It took me sometimes 30 + minutes to get close to level then im all sweaty. Half the camping sites we pick are stone and not very level.

Thats when I decided to go with big foot the 2nd year of ownership. Now setup is a breeze and not shaking when walking round the coach.

Plus I used them to change my blow out a few months ago (Along with bottle jack used as a jack stand + plus I have like 30 block I can stack up + 4 wheel chocks).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 07-27-2020, 10:48 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, I have done that lego block dance a few times. It took me sometimes 30 + minutes to get close to level then im all sweaty. Half the camping sites we pick are stone and not very level.

Thats when I decided to go with big foot the 2nd year of ownership. Now setup is a breeze and not shaking when walking round the coach.

Plus I used them to change my blow out a few months ago (Along with bottle jack used as a jack stand + plus I have like 30 block I can stack up + 4 wheel chocks).
I do the lego block every time + Levelmate Pro. The Levelmate tells me how many inches to go where and I put that many lego blocks down, pull up once and done--no sweat.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #32

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I do the lego block every time + Levelmate Pro. The Levelmate tells me how many inches to go where and I put that many lego blocks down, pull up once and done--no sweat.
Well if its not crazy out of level it was not too bad for me (with blocks) but when on stones the blocks were sliding around on me. About 1/2 my sites are stones here lately.

Twice I needed like 5 block LF, 4 block for RF, 3 for LR and 0 RR. Well something always slides and screwed it up.

Since then I put the level gauges on my dash and drive in my camping spot real slow until I get to the most level spot I can find. That helps. I still do that with my Big Foot levelers.

I should have took out my shovel and made 3 holes like someone suggested to me 2 years ago.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #33

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
I have the ability and many of the parts to just go ahead and make my own hydraulic jacks.
I'm considering considering thinking about possibly slightly considering using some rams up through the floor. Shock type towers under each bed and one up through each of the bongo bins. They'd be manual to level but I bet an app and ten times and I'd be pretty quick at it.

That big box between the Frame rails will modify easily. It's welded solid to itself, but it bolts to the frame with brackets.
We'll go to Indiana sometime before the end of the year and have the whw and electric lift company look at it(they both have kick downs). If they balk, I'll just build my own.

Getting the tires off the ground is tantamount only to leveling.
(I don't give a flying patoot about level and we almost never use the slide, but the spousal unit tends to make smashed cat sounds about level....)

We won't do blocks. Don't care enough to learn that dance. We carry the Legos. The rv came with FORTY FOUR of them(four bags whatever is in those bags) . Have never even considered using them.
It’s been 30 days...Any update on your search for a hydraulic leveling system?
Old 08-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #34

THOR #13932
The hwh kick downs seem to be the deal.
No one wants to real with the company making the electric lifts but they're local to the hwh place so I'll stop by and decide for myself.
I like the idea of the electrics.
Standard motors, standard controls, no pump.

I could have cw do the install but it's worth the trip to Indiana for us.
All cw has to be off is one inch and the lifts won't lift a tire off the ground.
Tire off the ground is important to us.
We're not going anywhere so no hurry on the install.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 PM   #35

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I like Marcus Lemonis positive energy, but I wouldn't trust CW to do a major, install. In fact when I got a quote from them for levelers, they talked about cutting the frame and re-welding near the generator.
Hence, their price was over $6k

And your install is even a bit more detailed to get it correct.

So you are smart to have the manufacturer in Iowa do the work.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #36

THOR #13932
No manufacturuer can make up the height difference on my 4" lift.
I can get it custom made by one if them, but they'll create a ground clearnce issue.
I can buy rMs from northern tool that have 23" of throw.
They'll install easily.
A four gang hydraulic control like on a tractor will do the rest...eventually.
29 days on the road and we didn't need to level our 24.1 even once.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Since your RV has a 4" lift couldn't you just drop the jacks down by 4" (blocks?)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #38

THOR #13932
I could but I'm looking for a minimum participation plan.
I don't want to fiddle dick with it.
I could use the legos under the tires without hydlifts, but I just don't want to participate in the process.
I'm building it with electric black tank valve and tornados and ags and 360 camera and echo/alexa and rfid latches on the bins.
I want it to do as much for itself as I can possibly manage.

But
I'm REALLY glad I bought a 2018 instead of a 2019. I didn't trust their Bluetooth control systems.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #39

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
What size tires do you run with your lift?
Old 09-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #40

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Let us know more about your 360 camera system. I have a 25.6 that needs it even more than you do.