Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 11:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My 4x4 24.1 axis needs levelers installed. I need some group help. Too many choices.

I hate asking this, but;
There are so many threads about levelers and some of those posters take on religious or economic or logistic tacks and I can't follow the facts.
It's hard to follow the manufacturers websites, bouncing around trying to find something about height and if it folds up inside the Ford frame.
No one seems to like the all electrics, but I find no real reason other than failures which seem to be on par with hydraulic failures.

I don't care where I travel to for installation.
I have the capability and a place to install, but an adventure trip is an adventure trip and I'd rather pay the installation charge than do a mundane hateful job.
I don't need (though would appreciate) a coupon or sale or military discount.
I want the automatic top of the line. I might not use the autolevel. I'll buy it anyway.
Cost within reason is perfectly reasonable.
I want them(and this is the reason to mention my 4 inch lift)to lift a wheel off the ground at my option.

Here's what I need :
My axis is four wheel drive with a 4 inch lift.
I want folding legs if possible because it would be silly to negate my lift by having leveler legs dangling.

Tell me your dream system for a four inch lifted E450.

I don't have the skill or patience to search their websites and I don't want to bother builders over the phone.

Of course once you all group grope this to eliminate some options I'll call and verify and set an appointment for install.

Thanks in advance.
Just too many systems to choose from and everyone has a reason for their choice.
Please help me find a reason for my choice.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I really like my system from Equalizer...
They normally get the rig to within a half-degree or
less of zero.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I am with Bob and have The Equalizer Leveling System. The hydraulic rams do stick down and I don't know of a system that "Folds".

Paul
Old 06-14-2020, 11:53 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.1
THOR #2792
Personally I love the Bigfoot levelers we got installed at the Factory in White Pigeon, Michigan. They worked with me and answered my questions before I went there. I live in California, but I am from Michigan, so I visited my family over last summer and had it done. They can answer your questions about how low they would be with your setup and from experience, I know that they will work with you. I'd love to get my 2016 Axis 25.1 made to be 4x4! I must be nice to be higher up when leaving gas stations, etc. I am including a pic of Bigfoot's deals right now from The Official Website for Bigfoot© Hydraulic Leveling Systems. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:10 AM   #5

THOR #13932
The lift is the best part.
We hope to never use the 4x4, but the lift has allowed us into those awful super small town downtowns with the runoff ditches they pave and call roads. You know the ones. The ones with the frame digs and oil pan gouges both in and out of the crossroad.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
If you want Jacks that maximize your ground clearance, there’s really only one option available for you:

HWH Kick-Down Jacks

They’re available with a manual joystick controller (least expensive) or an auto leveling system.

They are considered the Cadillac of levelers, the ones generally installed on $1m DP’s.

I have the HWH straight-leg jacks on my rig, but my limited ground clearance will not work for you.

Suggest you call an HWH tech and discuss your ground clearance objectives and what is possible for you to achieve. They are located in Iowa but can be installed by Camping World (most expensive) or a local RV mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41404625-F53B-4949-A324-5F0AEE4C3DF0.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	24266  
Old 06-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

THOR #13932
I'm phone tagging with hwh right now.
I called her, she called me, I called her... She's trying.

This is about the only way I can go.
They do some custom work but I may only have to add blocks to the baseplate to make up the four inches.
I'll see about them adding a power step while I'm there.
I'm thinking that little chin thingy under the door might have to come off.

I guess we'll be going to Iowa.
(maybe I'll finally get that elusive 11.5mpg for a state or two.).

I'm not convinced the local install company will handle it right.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'm thinking that little chin thingy under the door might have to come off.
Its still there?

Ours is despite many curbs doing their darndest to try to remove it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:25 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We had HWH kick down levelers installed on our Vegas when it was new in 2015. Stuarts in Elkhard did the installation. My best suggestion is to call the factory in Iowa, and you've already done that. Been there, they are good folks.

Seems like they should be able to rig up some kind of plate or spacer to attach the jacks lower by those 4 extra inches. If they can't do that, check around for a welding shop that can. They do creative stuff like that all the time.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Europe
THOR #9936
I'm happy with my manual, wind down scissor jacks, very reliable and are only about 4 inches when folded.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #11

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I hate asking this, but;
There are so many threads about levelers and some of those posters take on religious or economic or logistic tacks and I can't follow the facts.
It's hard to follow the manufacturers websites, bouncing around trying to find something about height and if it folds up inside the Ford frame.
No one seems to like the all electrics, but I find no real reason other than failures which seem to be on par with hydraulic failures.

I don't care where I travel to for installation.
I have the capability and a place to install, but an adventure trip is an adventure trip and I'd rather pay the installation charge than do a mundane hateful job.
I don't need (though would appreciate) a coupon or sale or military discount.
I want the automatic top of the line. I might not use the autolevel. I'll buy it anyway.
Cost within reason is perfectly reasonable.
I want them(and this is the reason to mention my 4 inch lift)to lift a wheel off the ground at my option.

Here's what I need :
My axis is four wheel drive with a 4 inch lift.
I want folding legs if possible because it would be silly to negate my lift by having leveler legs dangling.

Tell me your dream system for a four inch lifted E450.

I don't have the skill or patience to search their websites and I don't want to bother builders over the phone.

Of course once you all group grope this to eliminate some options I'll call and verify and set an appointment for install.

Thanks in advance.
Just too many systems to choose from and everyone has a reason for their choice.
Please help me find a reason for my choice.
If you have followed the forum for any time, a good percentage of questions/;problems are for levelers. It's nice to have the auto thing when you pull in and ready to pull out but you might want to consider manual jacks....I wouldn't have a problem with a drill and running the 4 jacks up adn down for the peace of mind of not worrying about what's going on with auto levelers and all the problems (ie expensive fixes) for them when they error or fail. IMHO. And like anything else....auto levelers are great....when they're working. Bells and whistles is the sound of money flying out of your wallet.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #12

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
If you have followed the forum for any time, a good percentage of questions/;problems are for levelers. It's nice to have the auto thing when you pull in and ready to pull out but you might want to consider manual jacks....I wouldn't have a problem with a drill and running the 4 jacks up adn down for the peace of mind of not worrying about what's going on with auto levelers and all the problems (ie expensive fixes) for them when they error or fail. IMHO. And like anything else....auto levelers are great....when they're working. Bells and whistles is the sound of money flying out of your wallet.
Yeh, I have no idea what's going on in this forum and I'm not much for gadgets and I try to cheap out at every possible opportunity. I'd never do a mod with any technology adapted

Top of the line dream system is the question.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:20 PM   #13

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I have had two Class C RVs with Bigfoot automatic levelers. The first was a 31ft Winnebago. The second was my current 24ft Thor Daybreak 22GOC. I had the Bigfoots installed locally. If you don't mind travel, I would recommend taking it to the factory for installation. It is both cheaper and faster.
Bigfoot has superior customer service [24/7]. The system is easy to use.
JimC
Old 06-24-2020, 10:58 PM   #14

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
the HWH are folding and hydraulic and they have the fully automatic system, I bought the kit from Amazon 3 years ago and did the install myself, $3,600.00 I had to modify the rear install due to the location of the generator, never had a single problem with the system. the frame is hard and needs cobalt bits to drill pilot holes, I had to give up a right side storage compartment for the pump assembly.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:37 PM   #15

THOR #13932
I've rebuilt/enlarged my some of my storage bins with metal instead of rotoplast and added one in the rear between the frame, under the body(where a spare tire rides in a truck) that's about 27x36x12, but I'm still going to hate giving up the room for the pump. I'm thinking I'll place it under the driver in the bongo bin with the fuse panels in it.
Actually I'm being a baby about the storage. We travel light and the 24.1 had more storage than we could use even before I added extra.

There is also room behind the front wheels. I think my wheel well liners(there's a picture in my signature thread) if they ever get permanently mounted, will be adequate protection and easy access for the pump.

I could also put it under the drivers side bed.

So,
I read somewhere that the hwh checks level every half hour and relevels if needed.
Doesn't it drive you nuts when you're sleeping?
Or
Does the hydraulics hold level without a leak down?
Or
Does it cycle the pump everytime it checks no matter level or not?

Old 06-24-2020, 11:58 PM   #16

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I would have to go back an read my owners manual on the " checks level every half hour" mine has never done that.i use the automatic function to level it and then fine tune it, it has both modes,i have never had a problem with them bleeding off, they use the plastic hydraulic hoses and are a one size fits all so I had to lay them out under the coach to find the best fit, all 4 hoses are different length,
Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I'm happy with my manual, wind down scissor jacks, very reliable and are only about 4 inches when folded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
Those aren't levelers, they are stabilizers and not meant to support the weight of the MH.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #18

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Paul, your idea seems to be what I'm looking for. I just bought a new Axis 25.6. It is already 3 in low in the front which I will tend to if I can find somebody that has the suspension height specifications that I can shove down Ford’s and Thor’s throat. I had been a suspension mechanic and shop foreman at Fort Worth Champion Spring at one time for a long time so I know how to fix it. I have looked at several scissor jacks and wonder which ones you used and how well you like them. How did you mount them?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #19

Model: Axis 25.6
State: Texas
THOR #19026
Paul, I'm pretty sure you're not talking about the stabilizers that came with the motorhome because they are not strong enough to level anything. They're not even any good for stabilizing. I hope you have found some scissor jacks that can handle the weight.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
BAL Scissor jacks (these are 7500 lb capacity per jack, my Axis weighs in at 11,500 lbs):

Name:	jackrear1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	24426

Name:	jackrear2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	24427

Name:	jackrear3.jpg