Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2021, 04:04 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
You want this one. On rv and house beds

Check this out at Amazon.com
Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU24SHE...p_mob_ap_share
All foams are not created equal and regular foam is hot, heat retaining. Good idea to look for a cooling memory foam top layer if it's a laminate.

2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 AM   #22

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette454 View Post
We bought the 2" thick for a king mattress in our Montana, then moved it to our new Thor Aria... Its extremely comfortable and makes the factory mattress tolerable. The only con is that it is square, and the RV mattresses have round corners to facilitate passage, so it hangs over. Also, our Aria king is a situp bed and it must be raised to close the slides. The extra thickness and corners tend to catch on the surrounding blinds and impede the mechanism. That is a small price to pay for the sleep though.
Trim it with a long fillet knife or electric carving knife.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #23

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Our OEM mattress was like sleeping on concrete. We add one topper and then a second and the mattress was still not comfortable and the bed was very difficult to make. Finally had a custom mattress made that was two inches narrower and it sleeps like a dream and we can make the bed without a lot of fuss.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #24

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Our OEM mattress was like sleeping on concrete. We add one topper and then a second and the mattress was still not comfortable and the bed was very difficult to make. Finally had a custom mattress made that was two inches narrower and it sleeps like a dream and we can make the bed without a lot of fuss.
Actually that concrete is likely the platform the mattress lays on. All previous RVs I have had residential queen mattress. 60x80 that's available EVERYWHERE. For occasional use as in an RV places like Sams, Costco, etc have them at very affordable pricing. Or your favorite mattress store has wide varieties to suit your reclining desires. The RVs we are discussing are entry level and thor being the king of entry level uses the cheapest components in their build so cheap elcrappo mattress is no surprise.

Now of course the kicker, the bastardized RV sizing which isn't readily available and at a $$$$ premium. As stated toppers are a bandaid on an open wound, bad mattress. The only RV that I've owned that had a good quality mattress OEM was the 2007 Itasca Horizon DP. Top trim level. Sleep number but the original owner replaced it with a Tempurpedic and after several years was an excellent mattress.

So what do we do with the strange shapes we are stuck with. One option is go to the tempurpedic store, select the style which suits your recline body the best, and buy it. Then take out of the cover and cut to required dimensions. Recover and sleep well. If an inner coil spring, have the store order one to your required length. Upside you sleep well and rested, downside $$$.

Another option with an RV king width and 80" length, is if the bed platform sits on a bed frame box that's smaller than the platform and mattress, cut the plywood platform to a residential queen width, and put in some real night stands. You'll also gain maneuvering room along the sides for making it and getting in. With Thor unfortunately not possible because base too wide. I looked at a Ghost last week with an RV king and the base was easily adaptable to become a usable queen. But too many other issues, different story.

If you chose an RV with a break-a-bed with the slides in your options are extremely limited and good reason not to buy something like that. Just like a full wall slide, that type bed was immediately disqualified.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #25

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Actually that concrete is likely the platform the mattress lays on. All previous RVs I have had residential queen mattress. 60x80 that's available EVERYWHERE. For occasional use as in an RV places like Sams, Costco, etc have them at very affordable pricing. Or your favorite mattress store has wide varieties to suit your reclining desires. The RVs we are discussing are entry level and thor being the king of entry level uses the cheapest components in their build so cheap elcrappo mattress is no surprise.

Now of course the kicker, the bastardized RV sizing which isn't readily available and at a $$$$ premium. As stated toppers are a bandaid on an open wound, bad mattress. The only RV that I've owned that had a good quality mattress OEM was the 2007 Itasca Horizon DP. Top trim level. Sleep number but the original owner replaced it with a Tempurpedic and after several years was an excellent mattress.

So what do we do with the strange shapes we are stuck with. One option is go to the tempurpedic store, select the style which suits your recline body the best, and buy it. Then take out of the cover and cut to required dimensions. Recover and sleep well. If an inner coil spring, have the store order one to your required length. Upside you sleep well and rested, downside $$$.

Another option with an RV king width and 80" length, is if the bed platform sits on a bed frame box that's smaller than the platform and mattress, cut the plywood platform to a residential queen width, and put in some real night stands. You'll also gain maneuvering room along the sides for making it and getting in. With Thor unfortunately not possible because base too wide. I looked at a Ghost last week with an RV king and the base was easily adaptable to become a usable queen. But too many other issues, different story.

If you chose an RV with a break-a-bed with the slides in your options are extremely limited and good reason not to buy something like that. Just like a full wall slide, that type bed was immediately disqualified.
I don't appreciate your condescending attitude. I am not an idiot and have been RVing for 22 years and have owned many different types of RV's. Maybe you don't have a wife but I do and we ended up with the folding mattress because she wanted that floorplan. You can't buy a mattress at Sam's, etc. The OEM was a Sealy but still hard and our only choice was to have one made.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #26

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
I don't appreciate your condescending attitude. I am not an idiot and have been RVing for 22 years and have owned many different types of RV's. Maybe you don't have a wife but I do and we ended up with the folding mattress because she wanted that floorplan. You can't buy a mattress at Sam's, etc. The OEM was a Sealy but still hard and our only choice was to have one made.
Not condescending and sorry that's your position. I have a GF who travels with me and we are in agreement on this. Floorpan isn't everything and sometime a person needs to consider how all these pieces affect the RV experience. Crappy beds are a no go for us and folding beds are crappy. Your choice so sorry you don't like this subjective message either.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 09-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
You want this one. On rv and house beds

Check this out at Amazon.com
Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU24SHE...p_mob_ap_share
We bought 3 of these !
Excellent
Old 09-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Not condescending and sorry that's your position. I have a GF who travels with me and we are in agreement on this. Floorpan isn't everything and sometime a person needs to consider how all these pieces affect the RV experience. Crappy beds are a no go for us and folding beds are crappy. Your choice so sorry you don't like this subjective message either.

It all good you 2
I am sure you both enjoy life and your RV.