Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Replacement Windshield Curtain

Hi All, does anyone have recommendations for replacing windshield curtains on a 2014 Hurricane. Mine are in bad condition and I am looking for either a source for stock curtains or custom replacement curtains that use the I-Beam system. I know I can order them on Camping World, but their state tax system always charges more than the legal sales tax for New York State, where I reside. I don't know how they get away with that.

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The liner on my 2014 Windshield curtains fell apart in a shower of snow on the floor of the RV in winter storage the first year... I pulled out all the liner - but yet to replace them... left the curtains up without the liner.
I wouldn't want to buy the stock ones again - seems a too common issue. I've looked at the ones on CW - but haven't ordered them yet to see what the quality is.

(From living there years ago - sales tax in NY varies by county at least - used to range from 7% to 8.25%... I expect they are collecting tax for the county they have a business presence in (as if you drove to their location to buy it) - rather than where you live... Likely what NY requires of them... NY took a hard line on sales tax for mail orders.. Any business with an in-state sales presence - even if just at an annual event or trade show - must collect sales tax on all orders shipped to NY addresses. Keeps many from doing business there.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

THOR #5840
Thanks for the reply. Same thing happened to my curtains. The liner disintegrated, but now the cotton loops attached to the I-beam rollers are giving way too. Regarding the sales tax issue, Suffolk County NY sale tax is 8.625%. CA is charging way more than that for my county. I am not aware of a higher sale tax in NYS.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our liners disintegrated as well. Since then, when in storage, I block the side and front windows with something else besides the curtains (foil). As a result the curtains are still in pretty good shape.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I've lost some of the cotton loops... likely more will go... so I'll be looking to replace as well.

Sounds like you have the highest sales tax in state - then I can't explain what CW is doing... lol... (grew up in Nassau County - lived in Albany and Monroe (Rochester) as well. Spent 30 years there before heading west and then south.)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #6

THOR #5840
Yea, the best I can figure is that CW should be collecting the NYS sales tax plus my local jurisdiction for Suffolk County. That amounts to 8.625%. Why they are collecting more is a mystery. On a recent purchase of a high priced items I would have been paying over $90. above the tax rate if I hadn't cancelled. It took me 6 weeks to get a refund.

Thanks and good luck with you curtains.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Have you considered replacing the curtains with a power shade if that is possible? My 2015 Challenger came with plastic side curtains which I replaced with standard roller shades, not the over priced slow rise shades. Now the roller shades also act as a sun visor which was not possible with a plastic vertical curtain.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

THOR #5840
My MH has a curved windshield and cutouts along the side windows in the cockpit for the overhead bunk that drops down. I think fitting roller shades would be difficult or not possible.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
The liner on our side curtains disintegrated, too. Bought some black out curtain liner at a fabric store (JoAnns) and Mrs S dragged her sewing machine out to sew them to the inside curtains. Simple and cheap! If those cotton loops start to go, she'll hand sew new, sturdier, thread in place of each one.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We went to Walmart and bought some blackout brown curtains (was glad to get rid of the gold ones)

Sewed some cotton loop tape at the top that we got at Joann's and hemmed them to fit.

Only cost about 10 bucks. One of the cheapest mods for the VEGAS so far.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:47 AM   #11

THOR #5840
Well after pricing custom curtain replacements for our Hurricane 34E we decided to save several hundred dollars and make our own. We bought Room darkening curtains at Brylandhome.com. Purchased new I-beam hangers and a grommet punch on Amazon. We cut the curtains to the proper length, sewed hems and curtains together for each side of the cockpit, and hung them with the new hangers. They look great and better than the originals. We saved over $300 and completed the project in one afternoon. Done!
Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 AM   #12

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I pretty mush just went to JoAnne's and bought new backing material. Then I paid a local seamstress $30 to resew them.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:06 AM   #13

THOR #5840
My backings were destroyed from UV damage and the curtains were cheap junk. Not sure if they were OEM or replacements as we bought our MH used with 2600 miles.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:08 AM   #14

Model: Windsport. 35M
THOR #6199
Sales tax in Erie County New York State is 8.75%. Camping World has a store in that county. Sales Tax in NYC can be as high as 8.875%. Most counties are at least 8%. I remember when my county was 4%. Those were the days.