Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22B
State: California
THOR #5854
Need suggestions

Any ideas how I can cover gap between exterior overhead bunk and cab roof on a class c four winds?

Thanks
Thor Four Winds 22B

Old 11-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you are referring to the big opening where you crawl in and are wanting to just conceal the bunk, yes. Measure the width of the opening, go to wal-mart and buy a spring loaded shower curtain rod. Find a drape in a color you like and hem to length. When we had a class C the overhead bunk was used for storage and the curtain was how we hid everything, spring rod stays in place and NO drilling needed.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

THOR #5854
Thanks but not exactly. It's where the under belly of over hang & cab roof. Approx an 1-2" gap. Would like to seal around to avoid weather damage maybe drag when driving down the road. Assuming part would have to be flexible to withstand movement between box & cab chassis.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.....
Old 11-03-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
maybe the self adhesive weather stripping. when I had my C I remember very little room between the cab and the overhang, mine was sealed fairly well.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by robleto View Post
Thanks but not exactly. It's where the under belly of over hang & cab roof. Approx an 1-2" gap. Would like to seal around to avoid weather damage maybe drag when driving down the road. Assuming part would have to be flexible to withstand movement between box & cab chassis.

Main suggestion is that if you add something there, be careful that it not trap moisture behind it; you could inadvertently make weather damage worse.

When I had a Class C of similar design, cleaning and waxing that area was difficult, but it kept it in good shape until I sold it. I don't know if it was the overhang keeping it out of the rain and sun, or what, but it never became an issue. Mine was parked under a carport roof for years so that helped too.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I can't imagine that any sort of fairing there would really help aerodynamics all that much.

and in all my research I haven't really come across leak issue from that area. Class C leaks seam to happen at
front windows
side windows
or like mine did leaks at the roof to nosecone transition

For what it's worth, I had several points of failure form what I can tell.
The front corner of the roof membrane wasn't put down well
the top most screw, in the aluminum corner trim with vinyl insert screw cover, had a screw through it form the factory from above the vinyl insert and was barely caulked.
And the worst part was the nosecone skin was short, and was not covered by the corner trim by more than 1mm as it neared the roof....
Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by robleto View Post

Realizing that there are thousands of 'cabover' class C's on the road..and many folks, apparently, are not bothered by that 'gap' and the obvious wind-resistance. Prior to purchasing our Axis .. we had stayed with the b+ roofline, as there was no gap over the cab...albeit..there was no room for a bed up there either...just tv n sound system, etc. ... there are always tradeoffs ...
Good luck with trying to fix that situation ! .. short of trading it for a B+ or Class A.

Let us all know if you come up with a solution !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

THOR #5854
I've seen some Class C's with sealed over cab and looked vey nice. Wondering if they were manufacturer or after market? Just need some ideas before committing to a project....

Appreciate all your input!
Old 11-04-2016, 02:02 AM   #9

THOR #2121
The only design I've seen that may be similar to what you describe is when they use a molded front cap similar to what Thor used on 19G. On these it appears they shape the fiberglass (or whatever material they use) to fit up to Ford van roof similar to what was done on travel vans or Class Bs. In these the overhead bed area comes close to rain gutters on sides and windshield in front.

Is this similar to what you refer to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	3303  
Old 11-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #10

THOR #5854
Yes. Hopefully there's a custom part available. I've seen a couple of class c's with the over cab sealed mods but I recall one was a coachmen & were 30+ footers. ...No doubt sealed fairings were pro installs..

Will call Thor or maybe other manufacturers and see if they can help...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I do like those formed nose cone caps
jealous when I see them, wishing mine was made that way. Always have been since we bought this one.
but not for the reasons spelled out here.

I have never liked the look of the 90 degree corner and trim of the traditional sidewall in a class C. It just looks like a bad design, and I have since found this to be true.

But from the perspective of aerodynamic or sealing, I think this might be a solution in search of a problem....
Old 11-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #12

THOR #2121
I agree that from an aerodynamic standpoint, a short little fairing between van roof and underside of bed isn't going to do much to reduce drag. In the picture I posted above of the 19G, the real aero benefit should come from the aero shape of the cap protrusion itself, not so much how it's sealed to van roof.

As I think about it, air has to go up over motorhome, and/or around sides. The area in question here is probably one of high pressure, but of actually little air flow. I doubt you'd ever see any measurable improvement in fuel economy, if that's a major goal.

If doing this as an aesthetic upgrade, that's a totally different matter.