Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 07:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #3988
New Chateau 29G Owner

My wife and I purchased our first RV, a 2016 Chateau 29G, last weekend. When we told our neighbor, who has owned a motorhome for years and uses it extensively, he advised us against a Thor, stating that everyone he knows who has purchased a Thor RV has had nothing but problems. We expressed our concern to the dealer (La Mesa RV) and their service manager's comment was that they don't see more problems with Thor than any other make, and they get good factory support. I really liked the floor plan we got, and thought the workmanship was acceptable, but now I wonder if I should be looking at a different manufacturer, since we haven't yet taken delivery. Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Most RV takes some tuning up. This is true of Thor Winnabago, Tiffin and the 1 million dollar units. The trick is to make certain that the service department that you are buying the unit from is good. On your part do a real good walk through, trying out every thing. Do not sign the papers until after all is repaired to your satisfaction. Than if your dealer has camping sites there camp there the first night. If not camp driveway will do for a couple of nights. Above all keep you sense of humor, and have a good time.Also tape your PDI.
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
They are all the same but I sued La Mesa RV and Winnebago back in 1980 for my first unit. The unit deaded four times on my wife within the first month and I traveled alot overseas for my job at the time - not happy. They ended up rebuilding the entire engine and we didn't have anymore problems. Wouldn't buy a garbage can from La Mesa. Acted like used car salesmen not RV sales. But it was a long time ago. We like our new Thor RUV. Just got a call a few minutes ago from Thor Customer Service to follow up on the drawings I requested. Nice.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: VanLeigh Vilano 365RL
State: Florida
THOR #1907
Welcome. We also used LaMesa, but out of Florida. We have had great service from the and really enjoy the floor plan of our 28Z.. Same overall size as your 29G. Yes, it took some tweaking, but overall very satisfied. Let us know how that floor plan works out. Enjoy.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote