Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2017, 02:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Power for Vent Fans

Where do folks get the power for replacing the factory vents with vent fans? I can imagine that I'd like to modify the existing vents at some point in the future and I'd like to do it myself. I'm at a loss for how to add 12v accessories to existing circuits.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I'll assume you have a single switch that turns on the main coach lights. That makes it hard to tap into power. I installed ours in the center vent opening above the kitchen. I used some 1/4" threaded rod to push through the foam insulation in the ceiling, running right were the foam met the hard ceiling panel. I aimed for the nearest power source which happened to be the control panel for the slide, tank levels and water heater switches. My coach has a residential fridge, so I have a gap at the top of it where I carefully drilled a 1" hole in the ceiling. That's where I intercepted the end of the rod. I then used a coat hanger to fish the wire thru the new tunnel in the ceiling foam. From there I had easy access to the control panel wiring. This picture shows the gap I have above the fridge. I'm not sure how you gain access to a hidden spot in the ceiling to retrieve a wire...

https://cdn2.rvtrader.com/v1/media/5...768&quality=70
Old 12-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

THOR #7205
I just looked at pictures of a 2018 24he. If your ceiling is the same it looks like you have a small cupboard above your microwave where you could pull a wire. (That is if you want the fan in the kitchen area.)From there you should be able to access 12v power wires from the stove hood fan or light.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Our 2016 Vegas was pre wired for a power roof vent. I installed a remote control by Maxxair. Suggest you take out the vent and look around for wires in your rv.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Our 2016 Vegas was pre wired for a power roof vent. I installed a remote control by Maxxair. Suggest you take out the vent and look around for wires in your rv.
Your Vegas was prewired in the front vent?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #6

THOR #1589
Yes, and the rear one, too. I intended to install another Maxxair in the rear. You could run one forwards and one backwards to create flow. Or you could run both to vent out. We found that, for us, the smaller Vegas was fine with just one vent. Your results may vary.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:42 AM   #7

THOR #7205
Quote:
Yes, and the rear one, too. I intended to install another Maxxair in the rear. You could run one forwards and one backwards to create flow. Or you could run both to vent out. We found that, for us, the smaller Vegas was fine with just one vent. Your results may vary.
Boy... that would have been nice on my unit. :/
Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #8

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Thanks. My 2016 Axis came with one in the rear, but I didn’t know the front was prewired too. I’ll have to think about that.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Thanks. My 2016 Axis came with one in the rear, but I didn’t know the front was prewired too. I’ll have to think about that.

I did the install myself, perhaps the hardest part was cutting down the plastic chute with a hacksaw. Wiring was the easiest part. I mounted the remote by the exit door. I ordered my Vegas with no fans, as the Maxxair is so much better. It has 10 speeds, and a rain sensor which closes it when it rains.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 PM   #10

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
My 2015 Vegas came with a power vent in the bedroom ceiling, power vent in bathroom above shower, and a power vent in the living room. The power vents in Bedroom & Living room were options; however, I'd bet the roofs are prewired since the factory doesn't know which one get vents and which do not when they install the roofs. Doubt they'd have two lines making roofs (ones prewired others not). Also sort of confirmed by Mr Sunshines comments.

And it would be one royal PIA trying to run wiring in the foam of the roof for power vents.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:11 AM   #11

THOR #10225
Thanks all. Thor sent me a wiring diagram for our MH. The diagram shows wiring to the middle vent. That would be sweet!

Pete
Old 12-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #12

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I installed a Hengs vent fan in the kitchen. It just replaces the screen and knob and you don't have to mess with the seal of the roof to install it. I wired mine into the light wire that ran right past the vent opening. I figure I only use when I am cooking and I would have the lights on anyway.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #13

THOR #10225
I didn't find any power near the mid vent but there is unswitched power to the vent in the bedroom area. I'll install a fan unit there.