Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
New Mattress

Anybody replace the mattress in their MH? Our ACE 27.2 has an RV king mattress. This unit was rental for 2 seasons before we bought it last spring so the mattress has seen use. After a summer season of use by the DW and I we have decided the mattress needs to go just doesn’t have the support it had when new. The problem with getting a new mattress for our unit is the folding hinge in the bottom 24” of the mattress. The mattress needs to fold to allow the slide to retract. That hinged mattress requires us to purchase a replacement Denver mattress specific to that floor plan. That mattress is $862. PLUS freight from Total Value RV in Elkhart In. I’m wondering if anybody has had a mattress modified to fit their RV and if so where and approximately what cost? Thx Mark

Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #2

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Is Total Value selling the same OEM mattress? Have you tried going direct to the mfr? Ours doesn't fold but has a clipped corner on a Full XL. I had a latex Queen cut 6" narrower with a 12" 45* cut and the cover re-sewed. I went to a small upholstery shop. $150.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:09 PM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
https://www.mattressinsider.com This company will make anysize, configuration you need. We just purchased our second mattress from them. We just bought the Sedona which was a little firm for me, just right for my wife. We had a 2" memory foam topper for the original Denver mattress, so I added that to it.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for posting the link to mattressiinsider.com.
They appear to be worth a second look...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Check Sam's Club?

I bought an RV queen mattress for my RV upgrade that's 10" thick, a year old, and does one heck of a job giving me a good night's sleep. Don't know if they have a king, if you have a membership, or cater to Sam's club.

This could get you started. The rest is up to you:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/10in-rv-m...s/prod14960155
Old 10-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We just go to Sam's for their $1.40 quarter-pound hot dog's.
But after eating several: I do feel like taking a nap.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:57 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Thanks to all for the replies. Looks like we have a couple options besides the O.E.M. Denver mattress from a dealer. Thanks for the links
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:27 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
https://www.mattressinsider.com This company will make anysize, configuration you need. We just purchased our second mattress from them. We just bought the Sedona which was a little firm for me, just right for my wife. We had a 2" memory foam topper for the original Denver mattress, so I added that to it.
We second the mattressinsider source. We had a custom hinged mattress made by them and are very satisfied.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:14 AM   #9

THOR #6433
So we have a different coach but since I am 6”5 we got a longer mattress and we now have to fold the mattress due to the slide. We got was a sleep number and once the air is out you can fold it or reposition it to get the slide in.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #10

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
We second the mattressinsider source. We had a custom hinged mattress made by them and are very satisfied.
I knew someone on here had them make a custom mattress w/hinge. Glad you replied.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
I bought an RV queen mattress for my RV upgrade that's 10" thick, a year old, and does one heck of a job giving me a good night's sleep. Don't know if they have a king, if you have a membership, or cater to Sam's club.

This could get you started. The rest is up to you:
https://www.samsclub.com/p/10in-rv-m...s/prod14960155
By any chance: did you happen to ask them about mattresses for beds that need to be folded-up?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:56 PM   #12

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
By any chance: did you happen to ask them about mattresses for beds that need to be folded-up?
I didn't. I knew what I needed, saw the fix and punched the CC# into the cart when I checked out

Hope you're well.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #13

Model: ace 29.4
State: Ontario
THOR #297
New Mattress

We have the 29.4 and we bought a mattress in a box form mattress insider https://www.mattressinsider.com/they have odd sizes best sleep ever
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #14

THOR #14396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Anybody replace the mattress in their MH? Our ACE 27.2 has an RV king mattress. This unit was rental for 2 seasons before we bought it last spring so the mattress has seen use. After a summer season of use by the DW and I we have decided the mattress needs to go just doesn’t have the support it had when new. The problem with getting a new mattress for our unit is the folding hinge in the bottom 24” of the mattress. The mattress needs to fold to allow the slide to retract. That hinged mattress requires us to purchase a replacement Denver mattress specific to that floor plan. That mattress is $862. PLUS freight from Total Value RV in Elkhart In. I’m wondering if anybody has had a mattress modified to fit their RV and if so where and approximately what cost? Thx Mark
Have you tried The Original Mattress Factory? We had a mattress custom made for our travel trailer back in 2011 and it's now in our ACE 29.3. Mind you, ours didn't need to be foldable so I don't know if they can do that or not but it might be worth an inquiry.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1 SOLD
State: Michigan
THOR #2972
RV king 76 x 80 or a RV short king 72 x 75
Made in The USA 10" Graphite Infused Memory Foam Mattress Sleeps Cooler (Short King - 72x75) on Amazon all 5 stars rating
Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #16

State: Ohio
THOR #16508
Do you have an Original Mattress Factory nearby?

They can make a custom mattress for you. I think it’s a small fee but you will get a top quality residential mattress. I believe the customization fee is $100. I would find the nearest location and see what they can do.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 AM   #17

Model: Four Winds Super C 35SB
State: Colorado
THOR #3579
Our fix

We have a 2016 Thor Four Winds Super C and our king size memory foam Denver mattress wore out after a year. After we researched replacements we were blown away by the cost. Our solution was to buy a 11 inch memory foam king size mattress from Costco for $400 , after we cut the plastic and unrrolled it, we took a butcher knife and frantically cut the 8 inches off the end so it would fit our 72x80 rv king size mattress platform! It was quite the site,but it worked and we love it! It’s like sleeping on a luxury mattress and we saved way over 50% off of a custom king size rv mattress.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 AM   #18

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
We did not like the original air bed so we measured the bed and went to a mattress store. Bought a memory foam one that we liked. It came rolled up and so we easy to bring in the door. After 3 days it opened up completely and we love it. No problems with interfering with the slide or any other issues. We also replaced the small foam mattress in the loft over the cab area.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:54 AM   #19

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
We did not like the original air bed so we measured the bed and went to a mattress store. Bought a memory foam one that we liked. It came rolled up and so we easy to bring in the door. After 3 days it opened up completely and we love it. No problems with interfering with the slide or any other issues. We also replaced the small foam mattress in the loft over the cab area.
That was my experience and no thrashing or cutting. Plug and play. Making the bed is a little more difficult because of the thickness but my back thanks me when it's over.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #20

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #17285
Bought a new Queen for ours through Amazon. Dynasty 10" cool. Breeze memory foam to replace the standard lasagna noodle that was OEM. No support to it and the slats have flatten after 8 months of continuous use, so we bit the bullet. Only $349 and we are Prime, so it shipped free at 80 lbs.King is $429.