Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #8616
New mattress in windsport 29m

Well since we brought home the 29m. I've done the CHF first thing. I set up camp in the driveway and tested all the functions. Both shore and gennie power. All the appliances on electric and propane. No issues found. The wife and I decided to spend the night in the coach. After about 30 mins in bed, we both were going to the house. That Denver mattress is like sleeping in a brick!!!! The coach has sit for about a week ( waiting on the dealer to send the packet to get tags). Which we since have gotten a 9lbs 8oz grandson!!!!! But anyway today we were in Walmart after church and seen a memory foam 8" mattress for $249. Brought it home just now put it on the bed. Boy it feels SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! And really didn't need to trim it any. It's a little longer but now my feet don't hang over LOL. So if anyone is looking for a cheap fix!

Old 08-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Congrats on the new grandson. We did the same with our coach, it made a world of difference.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:50 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
I have no idea how Thor can say that the Denver Mattress is soooo good. Frankly, the best I can come up with is it sucks. Maybe there are other mattresses that are good, I don't know, but my wife and I only slept on ours one trip before it had to go. She found a combination inner spring and memory foam mattress and it was the right size. Now we sleep real good in the bed.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev&Peg View Post
Well since we brought home the 29m. I've done the CHF first thing. I set up camp in the driveway and tested all the functions. Both shore and gennie power. All the appliances on electric and propane. No issues found. The wife and I decided to spend the night in the coach. After about 30 mins in bed, we both were going to the house. That Denver mattress is like sleeping in a brick!!!! The coach has sit for about a week ( waiting on the dealer to send the packet to get tags). Which we since have gotten a 9lbs 8oz grandson!!!!! But anyway today we were in Walmart after church and seen a memory foam 8" mattress for $249. Brought it home just now put it on the bed. Boy it feels SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! And really didn't need to trim it any. It's a little longer but now my feet don't hang over LOL. So if anyone is looking for a cheap fix!
Congratulations on your new grandson!!! Bet you are happy grandparents!

I've said it before, I think I'd be more comfortable taking the mattress off and sleeping on the pedastal!!! First thing we did was add memory foam, love that stuff! Glad everything works ok, now you need to go use that thing and have FUN!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:31 AM   #5

THOR #8616
New mattress in windsport 29m

Thanks Ron1Z and SuperD we are proud of our grand babies. Can't wait to take them on camping trips.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:49 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev&Peg View Post
Thanks Ron1Z and SuperD we are proud of our grand babies. Can't wait to take them on camping trips.
Since our grandson will be in Germany with his parents for about two more years I'm afraid it's going to be a while before we can see him again. Our daughter sends us new pictures every Friday, they day he was born on, I think he gets cuter every day. Our daughter jokingly said she was glad I wasn't around because she knows I would spoil him! I was under the impression that was the primary function of a grandparent!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Our first night in our Challenger (this past week) wife and I both knew we need to do something about the bed. She ordered a mattress topper with some gel / memory foam thing.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #5584
We tried the memory foam, but found it didn't work for us. Maybe because it was cheap foam? You know those cases where precision instuments or what-not rest in cutouts in foam? That's what it felt like to us. We'd sink in, resting on the brick mattress, surrounded by foam. We finally went to a local mattress overstock store. Very helpful; for the asking price of our chosen mattress, they trimmed it to match the dimensions of the stock bed (smaller than a real king, naturally) and stitched it up just like new. Exchanging the mattresses was fun! Among other problems, we ripped the wood facade off one of the arched supports from the roof. But the end result was a bed at least as comfortable as the one at home.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

THOR #8616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Since our grandson will be in Germany with his parents for about two more years I'm afraid it's going to be a while before we can see him again. Our daughter sends us new pictures every Friday, they day he was born on, I think he gets cuter every day. Our daughter jokingly said she was glad I wasn't around because she knows I would spoil him! I was under the impression that was the primary function of a grandparent!

Lol that's our job right.