Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2016, 11:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Doing It All At Once

As I've stated before, our new 2016 Vegas 25.3 was purchased mainly for the purpose of traveling and touring more than extended camping. Our first adventure begins December 27th with a cross country trip from Kentucky to San Francisco, and then back along Route 66, expecting to take about a month altogether.

So with traveling in mind, drivability and maneuverability were paramount in our selection of the Vegas. And after reading this forum and getting a lot of sound advice from the contributors, today I completed several mods at once.

First I had the front end aligned, with 5+ degrees of caster, a new Safe-T-Plus steering damper, plus front and rear heavy duty sway bars from Hellwig.

The results...fantastic...just like driving a completely different vehicle!! Steering response is greatly improved while "wander" is eliminated. Plus the unit rides solidly without rocking or sway. MUCH more comfortable, easier to operate, and undoubtedly safer in the long run.

If you have not completed these mods on your Vegas/Axis, I highly recommend that you do so.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:03 AM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
If you are going to be in the San Francisco area, I highly recommend Pillar Point RV Park.. It's a long way from San Francisco. But as a mid week "visit the beach" spot, Pillar Point can't be beat.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
If you are going to be in the San Francisco area, I highly recommend Pillar Point RV Park.. It's a long way from San Francisco. But as a mid week "visit the beach" spot, Pillar Point can't be beat.
Our daughter recently started a new job with GAP, Inc. and moved to SF, so we are going to visit with her. We have reservations at Marin RV Park since it is closer to downtown SF. Then down the Pacific Coast Highway with a stay in Morro Bay and then Los Angeles. From there we are getting on Route 66 and following it east (at least all that is left of it). We plan to go again when the weather warms in the Spring, following the Lincoln Highway on that trip.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Looks like the only thing you didn't do was install a panhard rod. Sounds like you don't need to at this point... that's great!

Based on the research I've done it seems like this the solution that points most directly to the minor issues I see on my E-450. I don't see that many folks install them though. I have a feeling that all of these solutions (sway bars, centering devices, etc...), while best at solving one handling issue, also overlap and address other issues as well.

Here's an interesting write up I found a while back on it for others reading this thread.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Sounds like a great adventure! We did a similar trip in a car years ago at about the same time of year. Keep an eye on the weather on your road. Winter can be nasty in the Rockies! We made it through that area fine, then hit white out conditions further west. Hope you have dry roads and clear skies!
Old 12-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Looks like the only thing you didn't do was install a panhard rod. Sounds like you don't need to at this point... that's great!

Based on the research I've done it seems like this the solution that points most directly to the minor issues I see on my E-450. I don't see that many folks install them though. I have a feeling that all of these solutions (sway bars, centering devices, etc...), while best at solving one handling issue, also overlap and address other issues as well.

Here's an interesting write up I found a while back on it for others reading this thread.
looks like my link didn't make it through

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_..._%20Primer.pdf
Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
Thanks for the post on this. I have the safety plus but still feel the wind gusts too much. I'll do the front and rear sway bars next and was planning on Hellwig. To get the caster to plus 5 did they have to add a bushing kit to make the adjustment?
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote