Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 02:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: New Mexico
THOR #5342
New radio mounting in 2014 ACE

What is the best way to mount a non-Jensen radio in a 2014 ACE? The old Jensen JVR212T used a mounting sleeve attached to the thin dashboard and had holes in the radio bezel to insert the two wire removal keys to release the radio. Most new radios do not use that system. There is nothing to screw the ears of a typical sleeve to in the RV. How do others solve this problem?

Old 07-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #2

THOR #5342
My Solution

Several people viewed my question, but no one posted an answer. I probably reinvented the wheel but here is what I found.

1. The Pioneer ADT-VA133 Installation Kit sleeve and brackets fit my thin dashboard and most Pioneer receivers. I had to slightly enlarge the cutout in the dash. I also made a small adapter so that the back support engaged the existing motorhome bracket.

2. I bought the Pioneer AVH-210EX head unit which is an entry level receiver with one camera input. The unit sounds good and has more features than I need.

3. Next I installed a Voyager CSW3014 Multi Camera Controller so that I could also use the side cameras.

4. The Metra 70-9401 Radio Wiring Harness for Mercedes-Benz matched the connector on the motorhome. Pin locations and wire colors matched the wiring harness that came with the Pioneer radio. For the 3 camera trigger inputs to the Multi Camera Controller, I used the connector cut from the Jensen radio for the wiring harness.

5. Sound from the backup camera uses a RCA output and the Pioneer uses a Mini-jack AV input so an adapter is needed if sound is desired.

6. Finally, hooking the parking brake video lockout looked like too much of a challenge for me to crawl under the dash. I bought a Pioneer Radio Parking Brake Bypass. (I have no plans to watch video while driving.)

As several people have noted, the Store/Use switch must be in the Use position to power the radio. The motorhome is apparently wired so that the memory hold is connected to the chassis battery and the switched input is wired to the coach battery Store/Use switch rather than the ignition switch.

Everything seems to be working well except the backup camera voice. The RCA to Mini adapter has not arrived yet.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Good to know!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #4

THOR #5342
Update Sound from Backup Camera

My RCA to Mini-jack adapter came in and I now have picture and sound from my backup camera.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #22733
I have a 2013 ACE and trying to put in a new radio, with the camera control box you mentioned, where did you find the audio connection coming from the rear camera?
Old 05-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #6

THOR #5342
Audio cable

I don't remember exactly, but the cable plugged into the old Jenson radio so I took it loose from there.