Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #8876
Question for those who have added a monitor in place of the stereo camera display

I’ve got the controller pulled out and intended on using the existing power connections. I’ve discovered that there’s only 9v going to the plug.

Is this normal? Where did you pull power from?

Old 07-08-2018, 09:59 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I got the power and ground from the mirror heater circuit. I I never plan on using mirror heat.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #3

THOR #8876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I got the power and ground from the mirror heater circuit. I I never plan on using mirror heat.

Not a bad idea. Thanks!

Next question. I believe these are the adapter cables I need to buy. Does the red connector go to 12v for all cameras? And is the white connector unused?

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/rca-a...SABEgKFFPD_BwE
Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Depends on what you want. I have the old style black video switch box (Oct 2015 build) with the micro four pin inputs and the output is a single yellow RCA plug. I just removed the RCA plug from the Axxera and plugged it into the 9" monitor's input cable (video #1). The Axxera still works and blanks when I select the turn signals, but soon returns to the radio screen. The default from the video switch box is the rear camera which is fine with me. It the video switch box does switch to the mirror camera when the turn signal is activated. I am still working on how to wire the dash cam into the system. I looks like another front mounted camera would be easiest.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #5

THOR #8876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Depends on what you want. I have the old style black video switch box (Oct 2015 build) with the micro four pin inputs and the output is a single yellow RCA plug. I just removed the RCA plug from the Axxera and plugged it into the 9" monitor's input cable (video #1). The Axxera still works and blanks when I select the turn signals, but soon returns to the radio screen. The default from the video switch box is the rear camera which is fine with me. It the video switch box does switch to the mirror camera when the turn signal is activated. I am still working on how to wire the dash cam into the system. I looks like another front mounted camera would be easiest.
Thanks Beau. The more I think about it I think keeping the switch box isn't horrible. I have been averse to the idea because it was the first thing to fall off when I bought the RV, and it's unnecessary. I had planned to use the side cameras as a bit of a security feature but I can do that later if I like the setup.