Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
New tires - same all the way around?

Hello!
We drove our new rig home and that thing has a definite lean towards the passenger side. I could see it while following and my husband felt it while driving. We want to order new tires today and my husband is thinking about ordering the RV Goodyears for the front and what he calls "drive" tires in the back. They are heavier load. Anyone have an opinion about this? Also an ideas on why the rig leans? He says you can fell every little bump, any suggestions on softening the ride? 2013 THOR ACE 30.1. Thanks for any input!

Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did he check the tire pressures, to make sure that they were the same from side to side?
(Sorry: I had to ask! )

I'd prefer having the same tires on all corners of the rig: it makes buying simpler.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

THOR #14952
Yes, we did. Actually bought another pressure gauge because ours didn't go past 60. So he made sure all had 82# before we drove it home. Good question.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

In that case: there'is either a side to side load imbalance (doubtful: since the rig is new...), or there's a suspension issue.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
I’m not sure what you will accomplish.

Higher load rated tires normally require higher tire pressure (assuming same size), which will make the ride even stiffer, and that’s already a problem. And if you don’t use higher pressure, the load capacity will be wasted.

Besides, if your recommended tire pressure is only 82 PSI, it means you already have excess load capacity since those tires can be inflated to higher pressure, but would also make ride harsher.

Regarding the lean, your motorhome has a slide in rear of passenger side (I think), so it’s very possible it has a bit more weight on that side. I recommend you get the motorhome weighed on all four corners before starting to make “upgrades”.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

THOR #14952
Very good suggestions, thank you for the input, it is much appreciated.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
New tires - same all the way around?

When I had my Freedom Elite 26 HE there was a very noticeable lean to the curbside. Even more noticeable when the one slide (which was on that side) was extended. I never checked but I suspect it was worse still when we were in bed (it was a bed slide). Aside from leaving us sleeping a bit head down it was not a problem. I asked my trusted truck suspension guy about it and he said it’s caused by having more weight on the left side (duh!) and that obviously was true since most everything in the coach was on that side (slide, generator, water tank, water heater, kitchen, propane tank). He assured me it isn’t actually a problem beyond looking a bit odd. He offered to fix it for about $100 by adding a small helper spring on the left but, of course it wouldn’t change anything on the chassis only how the box sat on the chassis. I did sometimes put an extra leveling block on the left side when setting up so we wouldn’t be sleeping in a trendeleburg position. BTW after all this I started noticing that lots of RVs list a bit. I just hadn’t noticed until it was mine.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #8

THOR #14952
True there is the bedroom slide on that side, but the other side has the living room slide. I would think they would offset each other. Sounds as though it isn't a big deal, just looks odd. Maybe we could put a plate on the back of the rig and call ourselves "The Right Leaners". (See if people get it) Hehe
Old 04-16-2019, 01:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

In that case: there'is either a side to side load imbalance (doubtful: since the rig is new...), or there's a suspension issue.
But it's not new: 2013
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:50 AM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
But it's not new: 2013
Even if it were new, a 2019 model, what makes anyone think that most manufacturers would go to extra trouble of balancing any coach side-to-side?

Slides add so much weight that it would be difficult to balance anyway unless they are on opposing sides, and across from each other. The 2013 coach in question has a right rear slide, and a left front slide which probably only balances out a little.

Tags
tires