Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Allegro Breeze
State: Massachusetts
THOR #18816
Newbie question: quality of workmanship?

I'm new to RVing, having rented a few times and now getting ready to make a purchase. This will be a 2016+/- Siesta, most likely, but I've read a number of articles and reviews that suggest the overall build and parts quality of these isn't that great. As I'll be buying used, there won't be any warranty service, so I'll pretty much be on my own post-purchase. I'm reasonably handy and don't mind getting my fingernails dirty, but I want to understand what I'm getting myself into. So a few questions:

What are the most common shortcomings of these units? Are there any repairs or parts updates I'd want to do preemptively, to avoid problems on the road?

Are problems generally the sort of that can be reasonably dealt with? As an example, a broken electrical switch can be easily replaced, but a sagging floor, not so much.

Assuming the unit is in decent shape when I purchase it, what's a reasonable amount to budget per year for maintenance? Like I said, I don't mind doing the simple stuff myself.

Part of what attracts me to the Siesta is the bulletproof Mercedes Diesel, but if the rest of the unit is plagued with issues, that motor's not going to be doing much for me.

Thoughts?

Old 05-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah typically the chassis are rock solid as they are built by an OEM.

The rest of the coach, meh. Think about rolling your house down a potholed street all summer long and what kind of repairs that will take (things coming loose, some water leakage perhaps, a drawer or door breaks, caulk wearing out, etc.).

Typically on used coaches the prior owner has taken care of any glaring issues (unless you get a coach that is 1-2 years old--it could be that they dumped it). A good inspection should reveal anything of that sort.

Around that vintage (4-5 years old) look at the tires: If they haven't been replaced, plan on doing so--RV tires usually don't go much past 5 years (its the age and UV rays, not the mileage).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:56 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree with JamieGeek....

I dont have your model but for the most part they are all the same.

Plan to spend about 2 hours looking it over inside and out (During the Day time so you can see everything). Look for roof leaks, Delamination of the side walls, Windows, other water leaks inside RV and Make sure Every single thing works (frig, Heater, Genny, Roof AC, MB Dash AC, Elec outlets, lights, Tires... ETC).

Take it for a drive and makes sure it feels Okay to you. THen offer them about 5K + LESS than the asking price. Most will take it or neg. with you. Walk away if they dont.... lots of New and Used RV's on the market IMO.

Lots of little things all the time. If you read this forum regularly you will learn a ton like I did. Im still having fun so its been worth it to me.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the Forum!
Buying a used RV is probably less risky than you think.
The previous owner got to take care of the build quality issues!
Happy shopping
Old 06-06-2020, 01:14 AM   #5

Model: Forest River 2400R MBS
State: Missouri
THOR #13744
Most RV manufacturers use the same brand of appliances so the quality is pretty much the same across the board. Where you will see differences is in the cabinets and upholstery, so mostly cosmetic stuff. Most important thing is NO water damage.

Besides that if you buy an RV you should be mechanically savvy or have deep pockets. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. A used motor home should/typically have most of the issues worked out by the first or second year. I have a 2018 Thor Siesta 24ss and had very minor issues when I bought it in March 2018(brand new) as compared to when I had bought my first 2016 Winnebago ERA Class B back in Aug. 2015 (brand new). With that unit I had many issues and it spent more time at the dealership the first 8 months I owned it than with me. There were issues beyond my skill set of repairs plus the dealership gave me very bad customer service. You will find things that may work for you or that need to be modified or improved to suit your style. Look at every system on board and try everything out. It is an adventure and learning time.

Remember that this forum has a wealth of knowledge and everyone is willing to share it, just ask.

Congrats again and enjoy the open road.

Paul
Old 06-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I would also sugguest when you find some time after you purchase any RV (new or used) to check every single connection for water pipes, drain pipe, electial connection, fuse box connections etc.

I found so many loose things that within a year or so of going down the road would have cause a water leak under my sinks/Under the bed or sorted out electial connections at the fuse box or elsewhere.

I also found the gas lines (underside and inside the RV) and used many zip ties (under RV) along with some sort of wire loom to protect from metal rubbing a hole into the line plus cushioned some sharp bends under the cabinets where they touched wood etc.

It will take a while to sort out many small thing but if your handy and read/search on this forum you will be fine.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote