Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The view to the right...

On my Hurricane, one issue I find when driving alone (no co-pilot) is the view off to the right at an intersection - especially if not a 90 degree intersection (RV angled to the left)... Not being able to see if traffic is coming from the right before crossing or turning left in front of them...

What have people done with mirrors, cameras, or other ideas to help this??
Figured there should be some good ideas out there for mods.

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:17 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Even worse on the class c I had.
Good question. I hope someone has a solution. I try to remember to stop a bit short in order to not lose the right side view. Not perfect but it has worked for the most part.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:23 AM   #3

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
As done when driving a Semi/big rig, you need to turn to the right to "square-up" at the stop sign or whatever.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
When backing my Vegas out of my driveway I can't see if anyone is coming from the right. Totally blind.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:32 AM   #5
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
On my Hurricane, one issue I find when driving alone (no co-pilot) is the view off to the right at an intersection - especially if not a 90 degree intersection (RV angled to the left)... Not being able to see if traffic is coming from the right before crossing or turning left in front of them...

What have people done with mirrors, cameras, or other ideas to help this??
Figured there should be some good ideas out there for mods.
If I am at a stop sign with no co- pilot I put it in park get up look out passengers window until clear and return to drivers seat.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Isn't the bottom half of your mirror convex? On my ACE I can see all the way down the road to the right as I am backing out of the driveway with that mirror.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When pulling up to angled intersections it's best to pull to the far left side of the lane then turn sharply to the right as you come to a stop, in most cases this will give you a good view to the right.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #8

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
I agree. Be proactive and eyeball intersection as u come into it. Like some said, I turn front to right even if I take my lane if a steep intersection.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #9

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I'm a new MH owner and I've learned to do as suggested above. I move far left then turn hard to right before stopping!
Old 07-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
gmc

THOR #2829
I had one case where I couldn't/didn't square up enough... but will make sure I do next time... (DW doesn't like when I use 'extra' lane space - but be doing it because she wasn't with me... lol) I did put it in park that time and go look - but thought there had to be a better way with cameras/mirrors to have a clear view... Someone could always come flying around as I get back in my seat.

I've never even tried backing out of my driveway... I've always backed IN if I didn't have the ability to turn around on property... Backing in I can see all traffic - and to me its easier to maneuver... then pulling out forward the view is fine... Also had me nose down instead of tail down in case I needed to level for fridge which I prefer.
Current location is a busier road - but have more than enough room to turn around on property - was a consideration in getting this house.

Still interested if somebody has a better 'mousetrap'....
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #11

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post

Still interested if somebody has a better 'mousetrap'....
Agree GMC! Sort of assumed you were probably already doing all of the elementary things mentioned. Just last week near Spokane I suddenly found myself merging onto the freeway from the left side and had a yield sign. VERY precarious situation that required an immediate decision. Even my right side camera didn't pick up much because of the angle but luckily I was able to merge. There are going to be "those times", no matter what, unless of course, somebody does have a better mousetrap.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Winnebago Navion
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2698
I've had this happen a couple of times while driving without a copilot. Both times it was at a 45 degree intersection bordered by an island which left no room to maneuver for a better view. I said a prayer to the "man upstairs" as I proceeded. Very scary indeed. One possible solution I've thought about if you find yourself having to drive w/o a copilot is getting a small wireless vehicle camera and corresponding monitor.
2022 Winnebago Navion
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:14 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
When pulling up to angled intersections it's best to pull to the far left side of the lane then turn sharply to the right as you come to a stop, in most cases this will give you a good view to the right.
I do this and I keep the shades open over the dinette. That gives me a like but of a view.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:47 PM   #14

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
This is going to sound a little crazy but I learned it from my milk truck driving uncle. Sometimes even at a right angle, sight distance to the right could be very limited due to a curve or hill. When turning left onto a two lane, two way road with no passing zone lane markings and no oncoming traffic and adequate sight distance to the left, my uncle would drive down the oncoming lane for a short distance, then pull into the right lane when he could see it was clear to do so. He said he started using this method after a coworker pulled into the path of a speeding police car on the way to an emergency with lights and siren.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
one of my earliest projects was to replace the opaque door window with a transparent tinted piece of glass. Looking at your floorplan, it looks like your door is a bit further back and maybe a bit higher too...so it's probably of no use.

I have thought a few times though that if I hadn't had that option I might have explored those mirrors like school buses and semi's use mounted way out front on the fender or bumper.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #16

State: North Carolina
THOR #15887
I have seen a few places where the view to the left can be just as bad if not at a good angle. Has anyone with a class c looked at adding some kind of mirror at the front left edge of the cab overhang ? Could you gain an advantage ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merge1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	19325   Click image for larger version

Name:	addmirror.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	19326  

Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I like Woody's advice about a small wireless camera and monitor setup.
Something that can be mounted temporarily, for when you're going to be driving solo.

Let's face it: the "Braille Driving Method"; is the best way to meet new people, and get to know the local Police...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #18

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
I have seen a few places where the view to the left can be just as bad if not at a good angle. Has anyone with a class c looked at adding some kind of mirror at the front left edge of the cab overhang ? Could you gain an advantage ?
I added some cameras for that scenario. Installed in the side mirrors. They have a super wide view. I don't 100% rely on them but it's nice to have the extra views. The monitor has a tiny remote that I keep next to me. Just in case I need to switch to a single view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 1.13.29 PM.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	19428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 1.13.52 PM.png
Views:	56
Size:	871.8 KB
ID:	19429  

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #19
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
Not sure you can get a mirror there angled to both show traffic to side and be visible to driver... but a camera there would work...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #20
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2018 View Post
I added some cameras for that scenario. Installed in the side mirrors. They have a super wide view. I don't 100% rely on them but it's nice to have the extra views. The monitor has a tiny remote that I keep next to me. Just in case I need to switch to a single view.
Thanks for pics! Can you share details on cameras/monitors used?
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)