Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #10608
Windshield Cover

Hi all. I have a 2018 ACE 27.2. I need to find a windshield cover for heat issues and privacy. I have looked at some videos about making your own out of reflective material bought commercially. While this seems a good budget option, just wanted to get opinions as to any other custom covers that are worth the money and easy to install. Spend a lot of time camping at beaches in Florida so the sun and heat are a major issue. Any help / opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!!!!!

Old 05-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Get one of these guys:
https://www.magneshade.com/

They go up super easy, block light and heat (in the day--its a which side is brighter kind of thing).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
When I had my 29.3 ACE my wife did make reflective curtains. She went to big box fabric store and found a great type of fabric. It was a almost see through black back with small reflective squares on the other side. The fabric was very easy to work with and did an excellent job of keeping the heat out. In fact she made a reflective coat for the dog to keep him cool in the summer.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:23 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’d recommend Magnashade but the are very expensive. I bought a roll of refletex at Lowe’s for a out $40. It is 48 inches by like 10 feet. I cut pieces to fit the windshield and both front side windows. I mostly use them for storage but have used them when camping for heat control. They are not terribly pretty but they work well.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:50 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #15745
I purchased this fro Amazon for our 2019 Hurricane34j:
Expedition Class A RV Windshield Sun Reflector by Eevelle - Privacy Sun Shade - Blocks Harmful UV Rays
FMCA Member
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:51 AM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Here’s what a Magnashade looks like on a Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AB58B7C-908C-4EF3-A06B-767DDD970DD5.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	23784  
Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #7

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I bought the Magnashade system for my 2017 Thor Axis, I got the windshield and side window covers, $1,000.00 for all three, you do not need to carry a ladder to install, they go up and down fast but are a bit of a pain to store as the magnets are very strong and they will grab each other, its a good system just a little pricey
Old 05-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
I bought the Magnashade system for my 2017 Thor Axis, I got the windshield and side window covers, $1,000.00 for all three, you do not need to carry a ladder to install, they go up and down fast but are a bit of a pain to store as the magnets are very strong and they will grab each other, its a good system just a little pricey

Magnashades and Snap Pads are upgrades I’d really like to have but both seem especially spendy. The other one was a dashboard cover but I finally got that. Probably Snap Pads will be the next ridiculousness. Does it EVER stop?!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Magnashades and Snap Pads are upgrades I’d really like to have but both seem especially spendy. The other one was a dashboard cover but I finally got that. Probably Snap Pads will be the next ridiculousness. Does it EVER stop?!
I echo Bassman's comments. Yes, the Magneshades are pricey but you won't regret them once you see how well it fits and how much heat it actually blocks BEFORE it gets through the glass. You don't have to get the shades for the side glass at the same time so you can save your $ and buy them later if you want. They are also nice because you can see through them to the outside during the day.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #10

Model: VEGAS 27.7
THOR #14226
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm8687 View Post
Hi all. I have a 2018 ACE 27.2. I need to find a windshield cover for heat issues and privacy. I have looked at some videos about making your own out of reflective material bought commercially. While this seems a good budget option, just wanted to get opinions as to any other custom covers that are worth the money and easy to install. Spend a lot of time camping at beaches in Florida so the sun and heat are a major issue. Any help / opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!!!!!
Read all you want, but Magna Shade is the only true answer. All of the items placed inside is attempting to block or hold the heat after it has already entered the coach.
I will tell you the difference is awesome.
You do not need a ladder to install. I am 5'8" tall and with the optional rod you can order I install in just seconds. I pray I never have to live without this product.
If you want spend the money then you will always have heat problems.
My wife and I installed the product in about 45min. That is the front and two side and a rear one.
Best thing you can do for yourself.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #11

Model: HURRICANE 35C
THOR #16807
Windshield Cover

I have purchased SunGuard Window Covers for my old RV and also for my 2016 Hurricane.
I bought them from RV Toy Store.com and we are very happy with them for the privacy and help keeping the RV cool.
We bought the windshield and front side windows first, and then we got the covers for all of driver side windows which faces east when parked in our yard.(also in Florida)
For our first RV, we had the 100% UV protection, you can't see out or in.
For the Hurricane, we got the ones you can see out, but can't see in.
We got the snaps to mount them but they also have twist locks.
Some people like the magnet shades also.
Type RV windshield covers in your search bar!
Good luck and stay cool!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #20138
We are making a windshield insulated shade. A person at our campground said it causes the windows to sweat and gain moisture inside them. Has anyone found that to be an issue?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:32 PM   #13

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
My front cover is now complete
About $40. Screen material from Harbor Freight (2 layers) + flexible plastic coated bars from a Garden Shop
Also a little bit of sewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67152E57-7CD6-409E-8A90-0350D3F1651A.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	26033   Click image for larger version

Name:	A010D886-4FFE-47D4-8CE4-A451AFC4931F.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	26034