Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 03:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
No Sumo Springs for Rear

While doing my research on a set of front and rear springs, Sumo told me I cannot install the normal set of springs on my rear axle because of an "obstruction." They make a suspension "Enhancement" which looks like a upgrade to the OEM bump stop. The part # is SSR-186-54 and my rig is a 2018 Windsport 31s. Has anyone had the same problem and/or has anyone installed this part and was it worth it?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2020, 03:29 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The general, but maybe not your specific obstruction is:
The distance needed between the frame and the wheel is nine inches.
Duallies don't have that nine inches.

Sumo, as used by most folks here are just a bump stop, nothing more.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #3

THOR #18965
Picture

Here is the picture they sent me. I didn't see this obstruction on my rig but I sent them a picture of that area on my rig and they said it was there. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis%20(rear).jpg
Views:	223
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	25821  
Old 08-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Sumos are more of an airless airbag than a bump stop.

Bump stops are fairly solid and hard pieces of rubber with very little ability to absorb sudden compressive shocks to the suspension. They are typically small with a significant air space between the axle housing and the bump stop so when you hit a large bump, bridge transition, pot hole, etc. you feel a very abrupt and jarring jolt when the bump stop slams against the axle housing.

Sumo springs are larger and designed to be more like an airbag. They are made of a material that can compress and absorb bumps. Depending on which capacity option you select, it will hit that weight at 50% compression. Most Sumo's can also be installed with or without a spacer (installer's choice).

Without the spacer installed, there is a small gap between the Sumo and the suspension housing. It takes more suspension travel until they begin providing any benefit.

With the spacer, there is no gap between the Sumo and the axle housing. In this configuration the Sumo is immediately providing some additional support to the suspension and will begin to absorb impact to bumps in the road.

I have installed Sumo's on an E-450 and an F-550 suspension. I personally could tell a noticeable difference in ride quality on both chassis. I also installed them on all four corners. In both cases I installed the Sumo's with the spacer installed because of the weight a motorhome chassis carries.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #5

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Here is the picture they sent me. I didn't see this obstruction on my rig but I sent them a picture of that area on my rig and they said it was there. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm not familiar with the Windsport but I think it is on an F-series chassis.

That picture they sent you is a bit puzzling.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have installed Sumo Spings on an E-450 and the F-550 chassis (last month). In both cases the Sumo's were installed directly over the axle housing and on the side of the leaf springs opposite to the inside tire (so they were directly under the frame and directly over the axle housing).

Maybe the angle of the picture is misleading..... but the obstruction they are circling appears to be in front of the tire and the sway bar link and nowhere near where the Sumo Spring would be installed.

Now they do make Super Springs (helper springs), which do get installed on the leaf springs. I could see that metal bar they circled interfering with a Super Spring installation.

I attached that picture with an arrow showing where I think the Sumo Springs would be installed based on the two installations I have done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chassis (rear).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	25823  
Old 08-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I agree with Judge's interpretation of the picture. In addition, I've never seen leaf springs sprung like that - they look upside down. I'll have to go look at mine now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
While doing my research on a set of front and rear springs, Sumo told me I cannot install the normal set of springs on my rear axle because of an "obstruction." They make a suspension "Enhancement" which looks like a upgrade to the OEM bump stop. The part # is SSR-186-54 and my rig is a 2018 Windsport 31s. Has anyone had the same problem and/or has anyone installed this part and was it worth it?
Thanks!
Interesting. I had no trouble installing the Sumo Maxims on my coach. Rear PN SSR 184-40-1 were on Amazon for $450. They have been on the coach for 4 years and still look good. I believe your PN is for the heavier coaches not the 18,000 lb chassis. <https://www.supersprings.com/application-guide/>
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #8

THOR #18965
This is why I am confused

Yes, my Windsport is on a Ford F53 chassis. The picture they sent me perplexed me as well. I have attached a picture of 1. What they are saying I can install and 2. The regular set.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	25824  
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Could it be that the mounting hardware gets fouled up by that "obstruction"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #10

THOR #6411
Quote:
Yes, my Windsport is on a Ford F53 chassis. The picture they sent me perplexed me as well. I have attached a picture of 1. What they are saying I can install and 2. The regular set.
You and I have the same house built on the same chassis. Yours has newer electronics. Other than that, they are the same Thor MC model 31s built in plant 750. Windsports and Hurricanes are the same coach made in the same factory with only exterior changes to the front and rear cap. This is for marketing as dealers located in the same geographic areas can legally compete. Other coaches made in the same plant ACE and Freedom Traveler made on the same chassis have different house designations than the Hurricane/Windsport. Note that the SSR-184-40-1 Sumo Maxims have no restrictions for the 18,000 lb chassis. Many coaches with the Thor MC 29M house have also installed the Sumo Maxim on the rear.

There are three types of Sumo springs that fit the generic 18,000 lb Ford F-53 chassis. MorRyde modifies the F-53 chassis to meet plant 750 specifications. That is why some Sumo Springs made for the generic Ford F-53 chassis do not fit the MorRide modified chassis. All I am saying is the Sumo Maxim fit my chassis without a problem following the instructions provided in the package.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #11

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
ACE 2016 29.3 -Rear Sumo Springs

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a 2016 ACE 29.3 and installed my sumo springs front and rear. I do recall having to drill out a hole on each side but install was fairly straight forward. I do feel a difference when driving over a dip or bump if low or high enough that the old bump stop would have made contact. I don’t fell the impact anymore.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #12

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Could you tell me if Sumo Springs will help stop the harsh banging in the rear of my Thor super c on the f550 chassis going down the highway? Hitting a transition from the highway to a bridge or any other type of slight bump will make things on the cabinets or things in the refrigerator bounce up and down.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #13

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
Could you tell me if Sumo Springs will help stop the harsh banging in the rear of my Thor super c on the f550 chassis going down the highway? Hitting a transition from the highway to a bridge or any other type of slight bump will make things on the cabinets or things in the refrigerator bounce up and down.
Probably not. The Sumo Maxims increase the stiffness of the springs preventing much of the body lean going over uneven pavement like driveways. If your coach is hitting the bump stops, the springs will help with pot holes but thumps caused by pavement blocks will still be there.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post

I installed them on my Magnitude SV34 and after 1500 miles I will say they do help.

It’s not going to ride like a Cadillac.... it’s still a truck with a lot of weight on the back half of the chassis.... but the Sumos allow the suspension to float more.

The factory bump stops are small and hard. There are several inches of clearance between the bump stop and the axle so when you hit a large enough bump you get a harsh impact.

There is only one version available for the F-550 rear and it is rated at 2800lbs and I also went with the 1000lb option for the front.

I installed the rears with the optional spacer. The spacer allows the Sumo Spring to rest on the axle when the suspension is at rest. This now provides some additional suspension support and it does not allow the Sumo to slam into the axle. It absorbs some of the impact when hitting bumps and helps keep the suspension from full compression when hitting big bumps.

I feel it was worth the investment and they do help. Like I said it won’t ride like a Caddy but it’s better.

You can’t beat the price for the improvement as you would spend a lot more money on signification suspension improvements (air bags, better shocks, heavier springs, etc.).
Old 09-05-2020, 11:48 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Virginia
THOR #4468
Loved our '18 31S. Did Sumos, rear track bar, alignment and replaced oem shocks with Bilstein "RV" shocks. Handled very well with the improvements. Not much more you could to improve, given the short wheelbase.

2018 Hurricane 31S (sold)
mpinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #16

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpinva View Post
Loved our '18 31S. Did Sumos, rear track bar, alignment and replaced oem shocks with Bilstein "RV" shocks. Handled very well with the improvements. Not much more you could to improve, given the short wheelbase.
There is always "Liquid Springs"
Old 09-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Freedom elite 23h
State: California
THOR #14090
Hello Rey and Reina, I had the same issue. I ended up cutting the piece of metal with a hacksaw and sprayed painted that area to avoid any rust. The bracket is really thin and easy to cut, I used a small grinder to take off the spot welds on the frame. TBH though, the sumo springs have not help much in ride comfort or smoothing out the suspension. ( it may be due to that I order the heavy duty ones) I can still feel my axle hop when going thru potholes. As you can see in the pic my leaves springs are still flexing way too much. I did however upgraded to Bilstien shocks and that help quite a bit. Also upgraded to beefier sway bar front and rear. Hope this heps you any way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200908_105111.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	26015