Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 12:56 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Adding LED Strip under awning - Challenger

I ordered RecPro LED light strip to place under my awning so I can have lights without my awning being out. I searched the forums but didn't see any specifics about who has done this and what they did as far as wiring.
I am thinking about wiring it to the same 12V wire the awning lights are on and place a rocker switch so I can go back and forth between the lights if I want to. but... before I reinvent the wheel, I would love to hear what others have done. I can also connect to the entry door light switch since that light is essentially useless anyway. Your thoughts and ideas? TIA

Old 02-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
[QUOTE=Techn0;108672]I ordered RecPro LED light strip to place under my awning so I can have lights without my awning being out. I searched the forums but didn't see any specifics about who has done this and what they did as far as wiring.
I am thinking about wiring it to the same 12V wire the awning lights are on and place a rocker switch so I can go back and forth between the lights if I want to. but... before I reinvent the wheel, I would love to hear what others have done. I can also connect to the entry door light switch since that light is essentially useless anyway

I am doing the same but removing light strip from awning and using that wiring

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I ordered RecPro LED light strip to place under my awning so I can have lights without my awning being out. I searched the forums but didn't see any specifics about who has done this and what they did as far as wiring.
I am thinking about wiring it to the same 12V wire the awning lights are on and place a rocker switch so I can go back and forth between the lights if I want to. but... before I reinvent the wheel, I would love to hear what others have done. I can also connect to the entry door light switch since that light is essentially useless anyway. Your thoughts and ideas? TIA
If your Challenger is like ours, you'd probably end up using or tapping into the switch leg for the outside door light to power your new lighting, since Thor used SPDT switches for both the awning and outside the door lights..

Thor used SPDT switches on our Challenger which means you have power to the empty terminal on the switch. These switches are commonly used for "3 way" lighting. (Turning a light on in one location and turning it off in another.)

If you connected to the blank terminal on the switch, you'll end up with an "either or" lighting situation. No way to turn off both lights since the switch position would dictate which circuit was powered. Thor sure has some wacky ways to do things.. I guess if they use the same switch everywhere, ( instead of a SPST where needed) it minimizes the chance of installing the wrong switch in the wrong location at the factory. Read idiot proof...well idiot resistant anyway.

Great idea about adding LED lights though. Please let us know how it turns out. Hope this helps. [emoji88]

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Virginia
THOR #10622
This is on my mod list as well. Seems that most new models have the LED under the awning so it can be used without rolling it out.

I'm leaning towards adding an new switch so that both can be operated independently or together but I really haven't put much thought in to it beyond that.

-norm
Old 02-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #5

THOR #4160
Okay, after all said and done, I wired it directly to the step light. It was the easiest to wire. Now I don't have to run any extra wire or worry about adding a SPDT rocker switch. it looks just the new 2018 lighting. Check box, mod complete.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 AM   #6

THOR #4160
Picture of the final product. Very bright!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180218_184311.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	9085  
Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 AM   #7

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Looks great.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:18 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Nicely done!
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
Very nice! Might have to add this to the "Honey Do" list.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Thanks Erich, gotta get this done.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #11

State: California
THOR #10616
Quote:
What year daybreak?
Old 02-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #12

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by High plains thor View Post
What year daybreak?
2017 Challenger
Old 02-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Very nice, wish I was handy enough to do this to our Challenger!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #14

State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
Okay, after all said and done, I wired it directly to the step light. It was the easiest to wire. Now I don't have to run any extra wire or worry about adding a SPDT rocker switch. it looks just the new 2018 lighting. Check box, mod complete.
I was thinking about doing this to my Challenger as well. I haven't looked yet, but where did you run the wire? I assume there is a hole somewhere on the awning track to go through.
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I thought about doing this with my Miramar. However, I decided to leave it the way it came. The light reflects well under the awning and doesn't shine so bright into my neighbor's windows. I don't often sit outside without the awning out anyway. I have rope light that I put around my mat which I leave on to easily find my way when returning to the RV in the dark, without lighting up the neighborhood.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #16

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCampingNut View Post
I was thinking about doing this to my Challenger as well. I haven't looked yet, but where did you run the wire? I assume there is a hole somewhere on the awning track to go through.
I followed the awning LED light wiring down the awning arm, which routes to inside the coach and then down behind the wall where the cushion for the drop down bed is or whatever that is officially called. It routes right down underneath the stairs and was easy to connect directly to the step light. I did have to loosen the awning arm so you might want to have someone with you or use all your legs and arms like I did. ;-)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1521239721
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gunny 01.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	9343  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:10 PM   #18

State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Quote:
I followed the awning LED light wiring down the awning arm, which routes to inside the coach and then down behind the wall where the cushion for the drop down bed is or whatever that is officially called. It routes right down underneath the stairs and was easy to connect directly to the step light. I did have to loosen the awning arm so you might want to have someone with you or use all your legs and arms like I did. ;-)

Thank you. I may give this a shot when it gets warmer
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #19

State: Arizona
THOR #6100
I'm not very handy but I'm going to give this a shot on my 2017 Challenger. I can see where the existing wire enters behind the awning track. If I understand your post correctly, you fished the new wire through that hole and down the inside of the wall so that it's not visible from inside the coach. Is that correct? If so, was that easy to do? Any tips?? Thank you!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #20

THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMonica View Post
I'm not very handy but I'm going to give this a shot on my 2017 Challenger. I can see where the existing wire enters behind the awning track. If I understand your post correctly, you fished the new wire through that hole and down the inside of the wall so that it's not visible from inside the coach. Is that correct? If so, was that easy to do? Any tips?? Thank you!
That's correct. Take the padding cover off of the inside support beam and you'll see where the wires run from the top and down through the bottom of the coach. Hope that helps.