Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2023, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Ant help while camping $13

I hate bugs.
Tested this product at camp site and house front yard.
We do not like ants crawling on the dogs, us etc while camping.

We placed these in the ant path.
It attracted hundreds and hundreds of ants.
Do not DO ANYTHING. Just leave it alone.
In 12 to 24 hours ALL ants gone!

Lovely camping.
Will never camp without have these

Good luck my friends..happy camping from Scuba

TERRO T300B Liquid Ant Killer, 12 Bait Stations https://a.co/d/h1HjMSd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230620_124359_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	42458  

Old 06-20-2023, 06:59 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
The key is look at the active ingredients.

Us old fashioned gardeners use cheap Sevin dust, which is basically Carbaryl. It's being banned in California, so you know it's good stuff.

I use it around trees and along the outside house walls as needed. It's also great in the eves of the garage for carpenter ants.

DO NOT use it where pets frequent... also rain will wash it away.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:50 PM   #3

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
The key is look at the active ingredients.

Us old fashioned gardeners use cheap Sevin dust, which is basically Carbaryl. It's being banned in California, so you know it's good stuff.

I use it around trees and along the outside house walls as needed. It's also great in the eves of the garage for carpenter ants.

DO NOT use it where pets frequent... also rain will wash it away.
Great. Our new stuff is contained in plastic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20230620_134938_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	42460  
Old 06-20-2023, 09:41 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Have you ever tried Amdro?

just sprinkle a little and walk away. It kills the entire mound and queen, no contact needed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:50 PM   #5

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Have you ever tried Amdro?

just sprinkle a little and walk away. It kills the entire mound and queen, no contact needed.
Looks promising. I added to cart. May use around house garage.
Must watch dogs
Old 06-20-2023, 10:10 PM   #6

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Looks promising. I added to cart. May use around house garage.
Must watch dogs
On Amdro, only apply around a mound or where you see ant traffic. They will eat and take the bait to feed the colony.

If you want a barrier some other spray or granules may be more effective as they not cross. i.e. using a spreader and putting granules on a 3 foot perimeter of your house helps to keep ants out, but it only last a month or two
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-20-2023, 10:47 PM   #7

THOR #20220
Quote:
On Amdro, only apply around a mound or where you see ant traffic. They will eat and take the bait to feed the colony.

If you want a barrier some other spray or granules may be more effective as they not cross. i.e. using a spreader and putting granules on a 3 foot perimeter of your house helps to keep ants out, but it only last a month or two
Got it
Old 06-20-2023, 11:29 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If I'm on a site with a lot of grass I sprinkle this stuff lightly everywhere then pull in on top of especially if in Florida or near the coastal southeast. It kills them on contact.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectrac...41-5/100023081
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:10 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If I'm on a site with a lot of grass I sprinkle this stuff lightly everywhere then pull in on top of especially if in Florida or near the coastal southeast. It kills them on contact.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectrac...41-5/100023081
That is what I use to treat my entire lawn and to construct a border perimeter around the house. But it is not effective for killing a mound. It is mainly for killing on contact as you say and as deterrent as it goes into soil. It can kill mounds but you have pour on top of the mound and pour water hoping not to disturb too much. But it may not run through the entire colony and get the queen so they keep coming back. Amdro will destroy a mound, that is all I use it for. sprinkle a little and they take it all and every ants eats, must be like donuts for them and the queen.

We use to have ants all the time when camping in tents, I have not noticed any Ants while camping with the RV? In tents we had the 1 gal spray jugs to kill on contact and to protect the entry doors to tent.
Old 06-21-2023, 01:16 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Have had good results with Terro liquid and Andro. But if you are concerned about exposure to pets or kids, try diatomaceous earth. Deadly to bugs.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:56 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
For the treatment of mounds I use acephate. A teaspoon will kill a mound in less than an hour. For broadcast purposes triazicide works good. For spraying around the RV I use Home Defense with it's built in battery operated sprayer.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 02:18 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
That is what I use to treat my entire lawn and to construct a border perimeter around the house. But it is not effective for killing a mound. It is mainly for killing on contact as you say and as deterrent as it goes into soil. It can kill mounds but you have pour on top of the mound and pour water hoping not to disturb too much. But it may not run through the entire colony and get the queen so they keep coming back. Amdro will destroy a mound, that is all I use it for. sprinkle a little and they take it all and every ants eats, must be like donuts for them and the queen.

We use to have ants all the time when camping in tents, I have not noticed any Ants while camping with the RV? In tents we had the 1 gal spray jugs to kill on contact and to protect the entry doors to tent.
If I see mounds I will leave. That's a sign of infestation. Campgrounds should treat their properties with some type of maintenance materials. Ants are everywhere in constant search for food and survival. Surface treating will kill any activity but not full-on mounds.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:22 PM   #13

Model: Rize 18M
State: California
THOR #28965
I like ants.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If I see mounds I will leave. That's a sign of infestation. Campgrounds should treat their properties with some type of maintenance materials. Ants are everywhere in constant search for food and survival. Surface treating will kill any activity but not full-on mounds.
The mounds I refer to are at my home. Fire Ants come and go. The mounds do show up and I usually see fairly quickly because I mow my own lawn. I also treat with my broadcast spreader the spectracide grandules 2 or times a year. I don't view as a Ant problem, but I do have to kill Ants if that makes sense.

With that said, looks like most are talking campgrounds? Thus far with RV, I have yet to camp or stay anywhere where I saw Ants to be a problem. But at Tent Campsites they were everywhere. I use the Ortho Home Defense Sprayer back then for immediate kill and protection of tent entrances.

Out of all of the above Amdro is my favorite, one bottle of granules may last me 3 years. When I see an Ant Mound, I lightly sprinkle, they immediately start taking it inside the mound. I don't know exactly how long it takes, but next day it is 100% gone.

On occasion, I have used the Spectracide to kill mounds. It is a lot cheaper but to do so you have to use more of the Spectracide granules and carefully pour water. It kills the entire mound about 70% of the time so a 2nd application is often needed.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:26 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by RizeMaster View Post
I like ants.
I like my A(u)nts too
Old 06-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #16

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Have had good results with Terro liquid and Andro. But if you are concerned about exposure to pets or kids, try diatomaceous earth. Deadly to bugs.
I wondered about using diatomaceous earth. I have used it around my outside patio, at the house's walk out basement, and it seemed to keep all the bugs away I had seen walking across it, (at least till the rains washed it away). I thought about bringing some in the RV in a small, enclosed bucket of some sort.

The caveats are: It needs to be dry to work. It gets tracked around very easily, especially by ball chasing doggies, that love to chase balls because they are still in their youth quite much.

The good thing is: it is chemical free and will not harm humans, nor your pets. I believe it is recommended to use a dust mask if it is a bit windy or drafty.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:00 PM   #17

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
I hate bugs.

Lovely camping.

I’ve used Terro stuff around the house for years. Good stuff.
Old 06-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #18

THOR #20220
We will ALWAYS bring these for future 🏕.
Couple of black ant hills near campsite.
Sprayed and helped very little.
Needed something to feed them and kill the queen 👸.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20230628_084459_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	42587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230628_084445_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	42588  

Old 06-28-2023, 04:08 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
I wondered about using diatomaceous earth. I have used it around my outside patio, at the house's walk out basement, and it seemed to keep all the bugs away I had seen walking across it, (at least till the rains washed it away). I thought about bringing some in the RV in a small, enclosed bucket of some sort.

The caveats are: It needs to be dry to work. It gets tracked around very easily, especially by ball chasing doggies, that love to chase balls because they are still in their youth quite much.

The good thing is: it is chemical free and will not harm humans, nor your pets. I believe it is recommended to use a dust mask if it is a bit windy or drafty.
One more vote for Amdro for fire ants, but we use Diatomaceous earth for sugar ants. Our cats rid us of other pest except scorpions.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 06:24 PM   #20

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
I hate bugs.

Lovely camping.

These are absolutely the best, the only problem people don’t give it enough time to do it’s job.