Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: West Virginia
THOR #2027
Outdoor speakers/indoor radio

Our Thor Ace has two radio speakers mounted on the outside of the Rv, which is a nice feature. But, what's no so nice is that the radio that connects to the speakers is all the way in the back bedroom. If outside, it's an inconvenience to change the station /volume.

My thought is to relocate the stereo unit, either inside the Rv and close to the door/entry way or outside of Rv and in a storage bay.

Has anyone done this? If so, could you tell me how you did it and where you put your unit?

Thanks.
Neil

Old 09-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Florida
THOR #2770
Check the manufacture for an APP for your smart phone. I have the same set up of speakers and radio control. Radio is Jensen. I control it from outside, via bluetooth app jControl. I can change the radio and volume. Hope it helps.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
thanks tony!! gonna try it-found the app now gonna go play with it to get it working!!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Same for me. Got an app that controls volume and menu.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

THOR #4425
tony and dw---i downloaded the app, put the radio in synch mode-phone found it (i phone 6)....see phone name on screen-launch app- gets stuck at "waiting for final connection"...what is the step i am missing??
Old 09-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Loaded Jcontrol app on my andriod phone and will try it out when I get home. Thanks for the tip.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

THOR #4425
great tip-great app--had not even really examined the radio in the bedroom---very powerful little unit! once I rebooted my phone the app works like a champ-also found the manual online for our model since it was not in our "packet"- when your phone connects via bluetooth, it it the model number--there are many variations out there- especially for marine! Thanks again for the heads up on that overlooked little gizmo!!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
Be careful not to have the outside speakers going late at night when you think only the inside ones are on LOL. Been there done that..
Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 PM   #9

THOR #2770
Did you select the the jensen in your phone blue tooth option? mine worked after that was selected on my phone. may have to re-sync if it timed out.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

THOR #4425
oH YES! WORKS LIKE A CHAMP- BETTER THAN THE tv REMOTE--NOW i'LL WORK ON ALARM AND OTHER IPOD STUFF TOO FOR NON RADIO MUSIC!!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
i have a Jensen AWM914 radio. I have BT connection with my iPhone6. I just downloaded the jControl app. I can BT music from my phone via iPhone music app but cannot connect to the jControl. I open the app and all I get is a flashing message stating that it's waiting for final connection, even though phone is connected via BT.

I've closed/opened app.
I have rebooted phone.
I have re-sync'd to radio.

Any suggestions?

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #12

THOR #4425
G-
That is what happened to me...so I turned off the radio.....turned off my phone.....went inside and turned the phone on first----it saw the radio--I launched the app and bingo....there it was controlling the radio!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:40 AM   #13

THOR #4425
You could google your model and then you tube....i saw many but not sure which one represents your radio!
Old 09-30-2016, 01:22 AM   #14

THOR #2770
additional mod to the bedroom stereo

so it always bothered me that i couldn't use the exterior speakers with the exterior tv...So after hours of trying to figure out how to rewire and run an amp and toggle switches to make it work, i wondered if there was a wireless way. Sure enough... picked up a bluetooth 4.1 transmitter, hooked to tv audio out and paired with bluetooth Jensen radio in the bedroom...

WAHOOO! speakers now work with the tv. Simple solution. I am sure i am not the first to think of it but thought i would share!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:08 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg30 View Post
so it always bothered me that i couldn't use the exterior speakers with the exterior tv...So after hours of trying to figure out how to rewire and run an amp and toggle switches to make it work, i wondered if there was a wireless way. Sure enough... picked up a bluetooth 4.1 transmitter, hooked to tv audio out and paired with bluetooth Jensen radio in the bedroom...

WAHOOO! speakers now work with the tv. Simple solution. I am sure i am not the first to think of it but thought i would share!

WAHOO indeed! Ed, this needs to go in the next manual revision. .
Old 09-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #16
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Bluetooth

Quote:

What a great idea. Could you share where you picked up the Bluetooth transmitter and the brand.
Thanks,
Kev
Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #17

THOR #2770
sure, i ended up with the Taotronics Bluetooth 4.1 Transmitter. Picked it up off Amazon. i originally tried the white one from best buy but couldn't get a consistent audio signal.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 35SB
State: Kentucky
THOR #5426
Send a message via Skype™ to nite71
Great info everyone! I've been wondering about these same issues.

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
nite71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:24 PM   #19
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
sure, i ended up with the Taotronics Bluetooth 4.1 Transmitter. Picked it up off Amazon. i originally tried the white one from best buy but couldn't get a consistent audio signal.
Thanks for the info. I will order one today.

Kev
Old 10-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

State: Alaska
THOR #3993
Quote:

Wow! I wonder if that would work with tv up front and the set of 4 speakers in the cab and dining area. The main front radio has bluetooth. Wow that would be a simple quick fix. Going to have to try that! Thanks for the post!