Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
Over the cab bunk mattress replacement

Hello everyone. I'm seeking for recommendations to replace the stock mattress on the over-the-cab bunk in our Miramar.

I have a 2017 Miramar 34.4 and it came with an over the cab bunk that accommodates a full size mattress dimensions. One strict limitation is that the depth of the bunk tray is precisely 4". This bunk when stored away fits snugly against the ceiling of the coach. When retracted, it is supported by two slide motors and two high tension cables rated at 500 lbs.

The mattress that comes with the coach is pretty thin and uncomfortable mat of sorts. While I suppose it could constitute as a mattress, we have been using it as a topper for the sofa.

In the interim, we put a 5" Twin Ikea spring mattress that can can close OK. However, we have noticed, that the bunk does come ajar slightly and is held in by the pins.

I'm curious, what have you all replaced this mattress with? We are a full time family and my daughter sleeps up in the bunk on extended stays.

I'm considering getting a 4.5" gel foam mattress from Mattress Insider or Amazon. Mattress Insider can also custom build the thickness to precisely 4.0 as well.

Thank you!

RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Illinois
THOR #7157
We added egg crate foam pad. Helps but .........
Old 11-28-2017, 12:10 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
In regards to your overhead bunk lowering, I believe that is normal our perhaps common.Ours drifts downwards on our Windsport and rests on the pins as well. The tech at CW says we should lower it to sit on the pins.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:24 AM   #4

THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
In regards to your overhead bunk lowering, I believe that is normal our perhaps common.Ours drifts downwards on our Windsport and rests on the pins as well. The tech at CW says we should lower it to sit on the pins.
That is good to know. Before sticking that Ikea mattress up there, it was snug against the ceiling. Either way, that should accommodate a 4.5" mattress pretty well.
RV Travel Bug
Old 11-28-2017, 03:16 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647

We made extension safety cables that allowed us to put a 6” (or whatever size you want) and the ladder up there. Did this on our Hurricane
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	8001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	8002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	8003  
Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I have noticed on our 34.4 that there is not much wiggle room with the thickness of that mattress. Any thicker and the bed will not go up all the way in order to put the pins in. We have a mattress topper and take it off when we raise the bunk.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 AM   #7

THOR #9721
Great feedback. I like that extension cable idea.
RV Travel Bug
Old 11-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #8

State: California
THOR #8228
We got one of those 3" memory foam Costco queen bed toppers for our Miramar 34.2 and it works great, but it must be tucked in all sides or it wants to push down from the ceiling.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #9

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
We made extension safety cables that allowed us to put a 6” (or whatever size you want) and the ladder up there. Did this on our Hurricane
Traveler,
Great Idea, hope you don't mind if I steal the design.

As for the mattress, I don't know about the Miramar, but in my Hurricane the mattress is about 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick and queensize. I slept on it with an 1 1/2 thick topper and found it comfortable enough for a few nights.
Wife and I don't plan on using the bed much, but may use the space for storage of some things, not sure what. May get to hot to store wine, but that was a thought for a little bit.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrpt58 View Post
Traveler,

Great Idea, hope you don't mind if I steal the design.

As for the mattress, I don't know about the Miramar, but in my Hurricane the mattress is about 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick and queensize. I slept on it with an 1 1/2 thick topper and found it comfortable enough for a few nights.

Wife and I don't plan on using the bed much, but may use the space for storage of some things, not sure what. May get to hot to store wine, but that was a thought for a little bit.

Feel free, I imagine you can improve on the cables design. I’d like to see your end solution. We don’t use it much either, but with a real 6” mattress it makes a nice bed should we need it. Our son sleeps in the bunk area. We’ve taken the top bunk out and stacked it on top of the bottom one, laid a solid platform with an 8” mattress that goes wall to wall in the bunk space. That way he has his own little bedroom sorta, and his own tv. It’s a little cramped for me, but it works very well for him.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #11

Model: Challenger LX
State: Texas
THOR #6185
We have a Challenger 37LX and my two year old daughter sleeps on that drop down bunk. For her that stock pad (I hate to call that a mattress) would be fine, but since she s two quite often her mother or I have to get up there and “snuggle” with her to get her to sleep. Neither one of us could stand that pad for more than a couple of minutes. First we put some of those dense foam exercise mats, that are two foot by two foot square, under the pad. That helped a little, but still not close to what we needed. Then we put a two inch memory foam mattress topper on top of the pad, which helped a little more but not enough. Then we got one of those two inch trifold futons and put that under the mattress topper. Now with all that it is bearable for a few hours. We do have to take off the futon and memory foam when we put away the bed for driving though. Since my daughter is two we made a fold down plywood wall with two windows and a door so that she wouldn’t fall or get out, and so she could have her own room as she gets older. The fold down wall stays up there under the original pad when we store the bed for traveling.