Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Painted Steel Wheels and remove the simulators?

Thinking of removing the chrome wheel simulators and painting the wheels. I'm tired of not being able to reach through to air up or to attach the pressure transmitters and dust caps.
Dealing with valve extensions have been a pain in the neck...

DW wants black, but I have reservations that it mike look too "pimp my ride"

Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Have you looked into aluminum rims? Cost may be high but look nice without going over the top.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you looked into aluminum rims? Cost may be high but look nice without going over the top.
no I haven't, but I can't imagine I would want to pay anywhere near it. I'm trying to avoid the cost and hassle for a $100 set of duallyvalves.

If I were going a big money route (and had time and didn't feel like I needed tires over the weekend), I would have looked closer to the 17.5 inch wheel "upgrade"... in fact I really wish that i had thought of it. It has been a long while since I looked at that and so it didn't even come to mind till after I was finished. I could have been fine to get home on the spare most likely, and could have ordered them....but as I recall it would be quite a lot more money and since i had the need and the time to get it over with, I went with replacement tires....
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing
Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
no I haven't, but I can't imagine I would want to pay anywhere near it. I'm trying to avoid the cost and hassle for a $100 set of duallyvalves.

....cut...
I understand duallies can be a hassle, which is why I prefer singles, everything else being equal. My van's 4 larger tires have been much easier to maintain than my Class C's 6 smaller tires.

On the other hand if you blow a rear tire like you did, duallies may come in handy for about 60 seconds.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I had the same frustration. My solution was to have extra long valve stems installed. Inner wheel stem is right out in the open and put a 135degree stem on the outer wheel so it's easy as well. Cost $110 from "Your Tire Store" in California. Local tire dealer charged $100 to replace all four stems. Not cheap but I think it's a pretty sound solution. Added a Tire Minder TPMS and started carrying a spare. I think I'm as covered as I can get from a tire perspective!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 AM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #6342
Alternative...

Sprayed my hub caps with black plastic/rubber coating. Gives the look I want and if I ever decide it looks too pimped out, I can just peel it off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_D2CF901E-D7FB-46FF-9F4C-C7D5A7216AD4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	4652  
Old 04-21-2017, 02:08 AM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
On th front wheel simulators I used a breaker bar and a block of wood to roll back the edge where the valve stim is, plenty of room now.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
And I have the Cross Fire system installed in the rear. No more problems there for me