Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
KFF

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #23985
Leveling Jacks

Hi,
I have a 2022 axis.
What are the best leveling jacks?
Thanks

Old 09-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I have HWH Straight acting Jacks with joystick controller. They’ve been excellent.

Lots of info when you SEARCH…

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...egas-5602.html

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...oot-24053.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FA7F4B84-0272-40C1-B5C8-1B83F66C14E9.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	33531  
Old 09-11-2021, 04:22 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
There are basically 3 system available. The HWH System, The Big Foot System and The Equalizer System. Each has their own way of operating. Operating systems are either manual or automatic. You can have one or both of them. They are also offering a blue tooth phone app to operate the systems. They all run about the same in price depending on the options and where you have it installed. I had The Equalizer System installed on my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS which is built on a Mercedes Benz chassis. It has the blue tooth app so I can be outside to operate it and watch the rams work up and down.

Paul
Old 09-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Just how are the Bigfoot and Equalizer systems different? They both have a central pump, control panel and four 13" stroke hydraulic frame mounted jacks.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:55 PM   #5

THOR #12698
They are a different manufacturer. I am not sure if they are all that different. All three are hydraulic. The HWH use heavy duty return springs to push the rams back into the up position. I believe The Equalizers are made in Canada and The Big Foot are made in the USA. I think The Big Foot offer a "kick down" version of their hydraulic levelers to reduce the space of the rams sticking down below the frame when traveling.

Paul
Old 09-12-2021, 12:03 AM   #6
KFF

State: Massachusetts
THOR #23985
Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
We had HWH kick down leveling jacks on our Vegas. They had the automatic feature and worked great.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:28 AM   #8

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
They are a different manufacturer. I am not sure if they are all that different. All three are hydraulic. The HWH use heavy duty return springs to push the rams back into the up position. I believe The Equalizers are made in Canada and The Big Foot are made in the USA. I think The Big Foot offer a "kick down" version of their hydraulic levelers to reduce the space of the rams sticking down below the frame when traveling.

Paul
HWH has the “Kick Down” jacks
When included with the one-touch controller it is the most expensive of the bunch.
Camping World promotes these for all Vegas/Axis models
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9C5E1D1-E982-450B-9781-4C54EBF7ABAB.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	33544  
Old 09-12-2021, 11:49 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #14579
I was advised to get the HWH flip down. Great advise. I read here about levelers being stuck down. I had mine installed at the factory in Iowa. "If they get stuck down, notice these springs? just roll forward slowly and the levelers will flip up (not retracted) so you can proceed and not be stuck."

I had them stuck once after a heavy rain and they sunk into the ground.

2019 Vegas 27.7
Old 09-13-2021, 12:34 AM   #10

THOR #13362
Then as you are aware…
The foot is very small, no more than a 3”x3” square
So one needs nearly always to lay down a pad or block to sit on

But they are a very cool design at an expensive price
Old 09-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Cautionary Note

Do NOT get the Lippert Ultra Level. Nothing "ultra" about them and they are violent in movement and poorly designed. I had the HWH in a previous DP motorhome and liked them. When I sold the coach at 13YO still functioning well provided I cleaned them periodically.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #12

Model: 2021 Freedom Elite 24FE
THOR #21070
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
There are basically 3 system available. The HWH System, The Big Foot System and The Equalizer System. Each has their own way of operating. Operating systems are either manual or automatic. You can have one or both of them. They are also offering a blue tooth phone app to operate the systems. They all run about the same in price depending on the options and where you have it installed. I had The Equalizer System installed on my 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS which is built on a Mercedes Benz chassis. It has the blue tooth app so I can be outside to operate it and watch the rams work up and down.

Paul
I see that you are in California and had the Equalizers installed on your Mercedes chassis. I have a Freedom Elite, also on Mercedes chassis. May I ask where you had them installed?
Old 09-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #13

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I bought the HWH fully automatic system for my 2017 Thor Axis and did the install, the kit from Amazon was about $3,600.00, had a few minor problems with the rear install but HWH has an excellent customer support, I did the install early part of 2017 and they have been trouble free, I had asked the dealer about getting a system installed and they wanted about $7K, not sure what brand they were going to do, it was not a big deal for me to do the install
Old 09-18-2021, 10:48 PM   #14

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
I bought the HWH fully automatic system for my 2017 Thor Axis and did the install, the kit from Amazon was about $3,600.00, had a few minor problems with the rear install but HWH has an excellent customer support, I did the install early part of 2017 and they have been trouble free, I had asked the dealer about getting a system installed and they wanted about $7K, not sure what brand they were going to do, it was not a big deal for me to do the install
Did you get straight acting jacks or kick-down jacks?

If you got straight acting jacks…how’s your clearance, how many inches from ground?

If you got kick-down jacks…how do you like the small foot?
Old 09-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #15

THOR #12698
Hi Wyz3rd

I used a family owned and operated shop in Fontana. The name is J&L RV Repair. Their number is 909 429- 2194. They are a very honest family run shop. They are located at 8364 Sultana Ave Fontana. I had them installed back in Dec 2018 for around $6100(parts and labor). This last December I thought the right rear ram had become bent since it was coming down at an angle. I took it to a shop near my house and they wanted $2800 to repair it. I took it back to J&L and they repaired it for $300. The ram wasn't bent. The rear brackets that hold it to the frame had become loose. I was charged 2 1/2 hrs labor to remove and reinstall the rear brackets. All is great now. I am very happy with that shop. They can also do Thor authorized warranty work when approved.

Paul
Old 09-18-2021, 11:00 PM   #16

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
taylorbob1, I got the kick down set, you can do the auto or let the auto get them close and then use the buttons to fine tune it, I do not recall the clearance but they did have some specifics in the install instructions on what you had to have, they provide some spacer blocks to mount the jacks to get them in spec, the small foot has never been a problem for me an I can see it being a problem if you are setting up on some soft or wet ground, I alway carry some small wood blocks and some small pieces of plywood just incase but have never had to use them, there is no such thing as one size fits all, I do know this from experience, always put chock blocks on front and rear tires, if you over extend your rear jacks wile on a slope your rig will roll, as soon as those rear tires get a little space from the ground you will have a surprise, even with chock blocks it can still roll so you always want to make sure your rear tires are firmly planted on the ground
Old 09-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #21919
I called Bigfoot, they offer a manual leveling system and an automatic system. The auto system is ~$1000 more expensive. Installation labor is $800 for either system. Time to install is about 2 hours for either system. They are booked into November as of last week.

I called Equalizer next. They only offer an automatic system (which can be operated manually if desired). The price is slightly cheaper then the Bigfoot auto system. Installation labor is $500. Time to install is 4-6 hours. They had an appointment the next day when I called last week.

Replacement parts, Bigfoot is slightly cheaper for pump and jacks. The replacement Equalizer parts are 10% more expensive on average.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:47 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
If I remember right, the Equalizer jacks, when being operated manually, only allow operation in pairs, not individually.

For BigFoot, they usually have half off on installation during the winter (first there months-ish of the year).
Old 09-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #19

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I will never understand why Thor builds any coach without levelers and why anyone would buy a coach without levelers. It’s like buying a $60,000 sedan with no air conditioning.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #20

State: Alabama
THOR #24890
We have a 21017 Windsport and the slide goes out but won’t come in. We have to push the button several times to get the side out and in and it finally comes in.