Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #25390
Is Palazzo All Season?

About to buy Palazzo 36.1 and it doesn’t look like it is all weather/all season. Do I need to have the heat blankets installed if I’ll be using it all Winter? The aft bath black tank looks exposed.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #2

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avi8rMD View Post
About to buy Palazzo 36.1 and it doesn’t look like it is all weather/all season. Do I need to have the heat blankets installed if I’ll be using it all Winter? The aft bath black tank looks exposed.
Do some extensive reading about the palazzo and it's quality before buying. If you want an entry level RV and understand the quality you are getting go ahead. But don't come back in a couple months with tales of woe that you din't know something obvious and much discussed here. I looked at a palazzo a few years ago and quickly discounted it. Went to AK and one of the participants in the group had one with continuous issues.

Quick answer NO the palazzo, or any other RV of this branding is 4 season unless you change locations with each season. So summer in the north and winter the deep south and you have your "4 season RV".
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #3

THOR #25390
In response to “all season,” thank you.
For the rest, I have already read a good number of posts on a variety of topics. That’s the reason I signed up with this forum, to do my homework. I have also read other reviews from other sources. I understand the Palazzo is an entry level DP and I have owned another gas motorhome in the past, so I’m not totally green.
I agree with another reply to a different post that the Palazzo is about the best bang for the buck. With the travel I have in mind I definitely want a DP, don’t want a 15 year old coach, am doing an extensive repurchase inspection on the coach, chassis and engine and am buying an extensive ESP.
Homework…homework…homework!
And, yes, after all my homework, I WILL post about my experience, good or bad.
That said, thank you for your reply.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #4

THOR #25390
And now on the lighter side…
I’ve been a fixed wing pilot for 48 years and know what to expect from helicopter pilots.
I look forward to some good hearted light humor with you.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

THOR #22586
Quote:
And now on the lighter side…
I’ve been a fixed wing pilot for 48 years and know what to expect from helicopter pilots.
I look forward to some good hearted light humor with you.
I got my FW ratings also and used to right seat in the WV state's King Air on occasion. Frankly I got bored sitting there. Couple times the states FW drivers rode along with me on legs and couldn't believe how "busy" I was flying. That's actual flying, not engaging "Fred". 206BIII When I would go into various airports to fuel I would see corporate pilots in the lounge waiting on their pax to get back. At least with me, we would land in the boonies and I could fish or something.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #6

THOR #25390
Lol, good point! I fly the king Air 350. Spent a good part of my career at Beechcraft. I hate the long trips just sitting there. Much happier on shorter legs. Which has me deciding I want to limit my DP legs to anything less than 10 hour days! Probably plan 6 hours then stop for the night. My old Holiday Rambler was used mostly within 3-5 hours from home.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #7

THOR #22586
Quote:
In response to “all season,” thank you.
For the rest, I have already read a good number of posts on a variety of topics. That’s the reason I signed up with this forum, to do my homework. I have also read other reviews from other sources. I understand the Palazzo is an entry level DP and I have owned another gas motorhome in the past, so I’m not totally green.
I agree with another reply to a different post that the Palazzo is about the best bang for the buck. With the travel I have in mind I definitely want a DP, don’t want a 15 year old coach, am doing an extensive repurchase inspection on the coach, chassis and engine and am buying an extensive ESP.
Homework…homework…homework!
And, yes, after all my homework, I WILL post about my experience, good or bad.
That said, thank you for your reply.
If I were looking at a smaller DP A I would investigate a Winnebago or Tiffin product. Yes I know Tiffin is now a thor property but maybe they haven't infected the Tiffin quality yet. Maybe a Winnebago Forza or shorter Journey, Tiffin Breeze or Open Road RED. Some will point out there are issues with every RV but I feel they start with better "bones". Friends have a RED and have been to AK several times with it. Issues?? a few but nothing like the Palazzo owner did.

But as you said, you are going in eyes wide open so good luck.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-17-2021, 03:52 PM   #8

THOR #25390
Thanks. I looked at a couple of Forza. Really liked it but I’m only semi-retiring and can’t justify that price range for another year or 2. Getting a good price on this Palazzo.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
There are virtually no true 4 season motor homes

They all have to have heaters running and heat tapes or supplemental heat on some plumbing

With careful planning you can survive some cold with most Motor Homes however it cost significantly to heat them

Propane use is extremely high and you will need extra tanks or a place to refuel

Diesel burners give you quite a bit more leeway

It really comes down to how cold you're going to try to stay in

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 11-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #10

THOR #25390
Thank you.
I don’t plan on any trips to cold Winter environments. Will stay S in the Winter but am more worried about nights that may reach into the mid 20’s.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #11

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Thank you.

I don’t plan on any trips to cold Winter environments. Will stay S in the Winter but am more worried about nights that may reach into the mid 20’s.
Low 20's is doable for almost every unit out there

In all my years the water hose left out and on has been the most common water item frozen

Keeping heat on and making sure it is either open or on in storage and water bay will get you by

Old 11-17-2021, 07:33 PM   #12

THOR #25390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Low 20's is doable for almost every unit out there

In all my years the water hose left out and on has been the most common water item frozen

Keeping heat on and making sure it is either open or on in storage and water bay will get you by

Thanks for the words