Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 08:13 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum WS31
State: New Mexico
THOR #22669
Poor Quality Rear View Camera Video

We just purchased a new 2021 Thor Quantum WS31. Love it so far, except for the quality of the rearview camera video. I've searched the forums but can't determine if the poor image is a result of the backup camera, or the Axerra radio/monitor, or both, so not sure which component(s) to upgrade.

Here are our current device details:
Rear View Camera: Rear View Safety model RVS - 921, TV Lines 540
Axerra Radio/Monitor model AVM 2207S

We’re not happy that the camera/monitor doesn’t have grid lines to assist in backing up, so does that mean we need to upgrade the monitor to obtain grid lines? Will a better monitor cure the poor quality image or would we also need to upgrade the camera? I noticed that Rear View Safety has model RVS-917 with 700 TV Lines.

I’m a novice when it comes to this type of technology, so your advice is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I did check both the monitor screen and the camera and neither had plastic covering over them.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #2

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a 2018 Chateau, and I find that the rear view camera video is okay at medium light levels. In bright light it is totally washed out, and at night it is useless even with the backup lights on.
I replaced the stock Axxera with a good Pioneer stereo, but the video quality is about the same, so I assume the camera itself is to blame.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #3

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEX View Post
We just purchased a new 2021 Thor Quantum WS31. Love it so far, except for the quality of the rearview camera video. I've searched the forums but can't determine if the poor image is a result of the backup camera, or the Axerra radio/monitor, or both, so not sure which component(s) to upgrade.

Here are our current device details:
Rear View Camera: Rear View Safety model RVS - 921, TV Lines 540
Axerra Radio/Monitor model AVM 2207S

We’re not happy that the camera/monitor doesn’t have grid lines to assist in backing up, so does that mean we need to upgrade the monitor to obtain grid lines? Will a better monitor cure the poor quality image or would we also need to upgrade the camera? I noticed that Rear View Safety has model RVS-917 with 700 TV Lines.

I’m a novice when it comes to this type of technology, so your advice is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I did check both the monitor screen and the camera and neither had plastic covering over them.

Hello,& Congrats
My new 2021 compass had a clear plastic cover on the camera lens peeled it off now much better picture.
enjoy
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #4

Model: Quantum WS31
State: New Mexico
THOR #22669
Thanks, but as mentioned in my (edited) post, I checked and there is no plastic coating or wrapping over the lens or monitor.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:38 PM   #5

State: Michigan
THOR #22481
I realize this question is a year old, but we had a similar problem and figured it out. We have a 28Z with single backup camera and an axerra radio/monitor for the camera. From the very beginning the picture quality was bad--a double image that made everything look terrible. The dealer replaced the camera under warranty with no better results. So we thought we just had to live with it. This winter we figured we would replace the axerra to fix it, but wanted to make sure that was the source of the bad picture. So we started digging:
1. by hooking up our video camera output to the axerra video RCA input we could see that it had a clear picture. so not the axerra's fault.
2. took apart the rear camera/light assembly and that all looked good,
3. Discovered that there is a standard 5 prong connector behind the outlet inside the back cabinet which hooks the camera to a 65 foot cable to the front. So was the camera or the cable to the front or the connections the problem?
4. We bought another inexpensive back-up camera and appropriate connectors. same picture, BUT...
5. When we were messing with connecting and disconnecting, with one person watching the front monitor and the other making the connection changes, we found a clear picture would flicker past every once in a while.
So to make a very long story short...we discovered the if we pulled the 5 prong 65' cable connector apart just a bit it made a very clear picture. (with either the original or the replacement camera) This was the connector we found when we pulled out the outlet in the back cabinet over the bed.
I hope this helps others who may have the same thing--or at least give something else to try before spending big bucks to replace the radio and not have it work!
Now to get the dash all put back together!
Old 02-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #6

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #26005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggyb View Post
I realize this question is a year old, but we had a similar problem and figured it out. We have a 28Z with single backup camera and an axerra radio/monitor for the camera. From the very beginning the picture quality was bad--a double image that made everything look terrible. The dealer replaced the camera under warranty with no better results. So we thought we just had to live with it. This winter we figured we would replace the axerra to fix it, but wanted to make sure that was the source of the bad picture. So we started digging:
1. by hooking up our video camera output to the axerra video RCA input we could see that it had a clear picture. so not the axerra's fault.
2. took apart the rear camera/light assembly and that all looked good,
3. Discovered that there is a standard 5 prong connector behind the outlet inside the back cabinet which hooks the camera to a 65 foot cable to the front. So was the camera or the cable to the front or the connections the problem?
4. We bought another inexpensive back-up camera and appropriate connectors. same picture, BUT...
5. When we were messing with connecting and disconnecting, with one person watching the front monitor and the other making the connection changes, we found a clear picture would flicker past every once in a while.
So to make a very long story short...we discovered the if we pulled the 5 prong 65' cable connector apart just a bit it made a very clear picture. (with either the original or the replacement camera) This was the connector we found when we pulled out the outlet in the back cabinet over the bed.
I hope this helps others who may have the same thing--or at least give something else to try before spending big bucks to replace the radio and not have it work!
Now to get the dash all put back together!
Thanks for this. I had that same problem with the camera. I think im going to add auxilary light in the rear anyways so when I do back up i can see more clearly or if I ever have to do something to the rear in the rig at night I can see as well.

You didnt happen to take any pictures did you?

Tags
axerra, backup camera, camera monitor