Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
Here is how to do it.

https://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-thermo...focuspro-5000/

I did the same thing. You just have to replace the batteries every year or two
Put that same thermostat in my ACE as well. Works great.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
That linked thermostat is NOT RV compatible. Requires 240 VAC input so won't work when boondocking or in a 30 AMP RV at all.
Yup you're right..hmm missed that.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2018 Vegas 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #13980
Dometic has a Bluetooth thermostat, wish I could find the same font the Coleman!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #24

Model: Magellan
THOR #6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
RVupgrades or Amazon.
I bought ours from rv upgrades as well. One of the better upgrades i have done. Got a tan one for the bedroom without the heat option and in black just like Beau388 pictured above for the front with heat that matches what was there before. Easy swap out taking only a few minutes. I did have to make a minor adjustment to the BR slide trim as the thermostat had a slightly different thickness in one spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	14679  
bruce1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Temp swings

The furnace heats up the bulk of the coach well the back bedroom and bath are cold. We have solved that by using an electric heater.
The bigger problem is the temp swings, it will get hot then before it kicks back in to cycle the heat it's so cold you can almost see your breath.I wonder if that's a thermostat or the furnace temp sensor. I know they have high temp sensor, what about a low temp sensor?
The other symptom is you need to bump the thermostat up quite aa bit to get it to start the cycle like almost 80º then drop it to the desired temp.
TIA
Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHook View Post
The furnace heats up the bulk of the coach well the back bedroom and bath are cold. We have solved that by using an electric heater.
The bigger problem is the temp swings, it will get hot then before it kicks back in to cycle the heat it's so cold you can almost see your breath.I wonder if that's a thermostat or the furnace temp sensor. I know they have high temp sensor, what about a low temp sensor?
The other symptom is you need to bump the thermostat up quite aa bit to get it to start the cycle like almost 80º then drop it to the desired temp.
TIA
I had the same problems with the OEM analog thermostat.

The new Coleman Mach Digital took care of the large temp swings on my Axis. Now its more like a 2 deg swing (not 7 or 10 like my orginal one was).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #27

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

The new Coleman Mach Digital took care of the large temp swings on my Axis. Now its more like a 2 deg swing (not 7 or 10 like my orginal one was).
I think ours is more like 20 degree swings we could hang meat in there or cook it depending.
Thanks I figured that was the problem.
I was surprised how loud it was compared to our old MH...then it dawned on me the old furnace didn't have a blower or if it did it was very low speed.
Since this is a 2 speed should we run in on low for heat? High for A/C?
Old 12-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #28

Model: Outlaw 29H Class C
State: California
THOR #7010
Quote:
I think ours is more like 20 degree swings we could hang meat in there or cook it depending.

Thanks I figured that was the problem.

I was surprised how loud it was compared to our old MH...then it dawned on me the old furnace didn't have a blower or if it did it was very low speed.

Since this is a 2 speed should we run in on low for heat? High for A/C?

I have the Coleman Mach roof a/c and a Suburban propane furnace. The Coleman contains the fan that is run by the thermostat. You can set high or low fan speeds, and you can run the fan independently with the a/c off if you just want to move air. The furnace controls its own internal blower- and that fan is not controlled in any way by the thermostat. It blows at the speed it wants to keep the unit functioning, and the thermostat only controls the whole thing on/off.

“They” say that running the a/c blower at lower speeds during high humidity gives the air more time to be dehumidified while it’s cooled. High temp and low humidity run fan high. So Florida swamp=low fan and Arizona desert=High fan.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #29

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I think it's great you folks are finding solutions that work for you
....but honestly I don't understand the interest in digital. Too easy to get caught up in the places after the decimal.... I mean really, I could care less if it's 68 degrees or 69 degrees.

I do understand though some of the interest in automation. Something I've wanted a long time in the RV is a remote AC control on the dash. I added a genny switch a long time ago so I can start and shut down the genny from behind the wheel, but I have no way of controlling the AC (or for that matter the fridge, furnace, water heater,...) and I sure would like to.
Not long ago I switched out my house thermostats to ecobee thermostats, to work with Alexa. I like them. Nice features, work well, good app on the phone. I do kinda wish I'd have gone with nest though, mainly because nest has better sister components such as video doorbells, smoke detectors, cameras...and the google home system, as far as I can tell, is far better than Alexa.
Just too much money though for me, just to get remote control capability...especially since I may not always be running my hotspot for wifi...or have usable bandwidth to the net.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I think it's great you folks are finding solutions that work for you
....but honestly I don't understand the interest in digital. Too easy to get caught up in the places after the decimal.... I mean really, I could care less if it's 68 degrees or 69 degrees.

I do understand though some of the interest in automation. Something I've wanted a long time in the RV is a remote AC control on the dash. I added a genny switch a long time ago so I can start and shut down the genny from behind the wheel, but I have no way of controlling the AC (or for that matter the fridge, furnace, water heater,...) and I sure would like to.
Not long ago I switched out my house thermostats to ecobee thermostats, to work with Alexa. I like them. Nice features, work well, good app on the phone. I do kinda wish I'd have gone with nest though, mainly because nest has better sister components such as video doorbells, smoke detectors, cameras...and the google home system, as far as I can tell, is far better than Alexa.
Just too much money though for me, just to get remote control capability...especially since I may not always be running my hotspot for wifi...or have usable bandwidth to the net.
I believe the interest in the digital thermostat isn't the precise readout, its the tighter band on the temperature control (less of a cold-hot-cold swing). The digital readout just comes with as a happy bonus.

I just swapped in the Coleman Mach digital myself--easy peasy just connect up the same color wires you're disconnecting (since its the same brand thermostat).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I believe the interest in the digital thermostat isn't the precise readout, its the tighter band on the temperature control (less of a cold-hot-cold swing). The digital readout just comes with as a happy bonus.

I just swapped in the Coleman Mach digital myself--easy peasy just connect up the same color wires you're disconnecting (since its the same brand thermostat).
This is correct. It's all about the 'swing'.I had a T-stat that would let you adjust the 'swing' back in the 90's. Haven't seen one that will allow that since then.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #32

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

There are seven TS out there, what is a 2 stage vs single? Do I need 2 stage. This TS controls the A/C and furnace ( Atwood 34K BTU)
Existing is an analog Coleman Mach
Old 12-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
The Kono Smart is on sale for $99. <https://shop.luxproducts.com/collections/frontpage/products/kono-smart?variant=51142739605>
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #34

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The Kono Smart is on sale for $99. <https://shop.luxproducts.com/collections/frontpage/products/kono-smart?variant=51142739605>

The Kono doesn’t have battery or USB power options to power the tstat itself. The Geo is the one you want for RV. It has everything I needed for a/c, fan, and propane furnace. (It also has swing temp settings and minimum run time, which helps fine tune the steady temp vs rapid cycling.)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #35

THOR #7010
Quote:
There are seven TS out there, what is a 2 stage vs single? Do I need 2 stage. This TS controls the A/C and furnace ( Atwood 34K BTU)

Existing is an analog Coleman Mach

2 stage means there’s a low and high heat setting. If you have a two stage, it would have two BTU specs (like 23k low/34k high) and when you ran it, you’d notice two speeds (high when it comes on initially and then low to maintain.) You probably have single stage, one speed, on/off.
Virtually any thermostat that can be powered by battery and is for “low voltage” 24v systems will work, and probably much better than even the Coleman digital, and for less money or equal $ with more features. It won’t say 12v, because most home systems are 24v, but it works fine with our 12v as long as it says 24v or “low voltage.” If it’s 110/240 or “high voltage” its a no-go.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #36

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
2 stage means there’s a low and high heat setting. If you have a two stage, it would have two BTU specs (like 23k low/34k high) and when you ran it, you’d notice two speeds (high when it comes on initially and then low to maintain.) You probably have single stage, one speed, on/off.
Virtually any thermostat that can be powered by battery and is for “low voltage” 24v systems will work, and probably much better than even the Coleman digital, and for less money or equal $ with more features. It won’t say 12v, because most home systems are 24v, but it works fine with our 12v as long as it says 24v or “low voltage.” If it’s 110/240 or “high voltage” its a no-go.
Thanks for coming to the party. Can you kick it up a notch and provide a link to the Geo you mentioned? Might as well go with something that's 'road tested and battle proven'

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #37

THOR #7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
This is correct. It's all about the 'swing'.I had a T-stat that would let you adjust the 'swing' back in the 90's. Haven't seen one that will allow that since then.

As Austin Powers might say “90’s swing is back, baby!”
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	14704
Old 12-21-2018, 11:19 PM   #38

THOR #7010
Quote:
Thanks for coming to the party. Can you kick it up a notch and provide a link to the Geo you mentioned? Might as well go with something that's 'road tested and battle proven'

Thanks.

I got it off Amazon. $100. If you don’t need the WiFi and smart bells and whistles, the $24 Honeywell will work
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH...=fsclp_pl_dp_6
Old 12-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #39

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
I got it off Amazon. $100. If you don’t need the WiFi and smart bells and whistles, the $24 Honeywell will work
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RTH...=fsclp_pl_dp_6

Thank you. I believe you have to give up the 2-speed A/C fan for this Tstat?
Just FYI, Walmart has it too: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell...ostat/22002684
Old 12-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #40
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you. I believe you have to give up the 2-speed A/C fan for this Tstat?
Just FYI, Walmart has it too: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell...ostat/22002684
Nope, just need to add a SPDT switch to control the fan speed externally.

I used this Honeywell thermostat (just digital, non-programmable):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And something I just discovered last night when I was furnace lighting issues: With these thermostats you can run the furnace and the fan in the AC at the same time for better air circulation. WIN-WIN!
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote