Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10719
2 house batteries

Hello, I have a 2013 Thor Chateau with a 30amp Solarforce solar controller. I would like to replace my group 27 Harris house battery with a couple of group 31 deep cycle batteries. Does anyone know if 2 group 31s will fit? TIA, Ed

Old 02-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTierney View Post
Hello, I have a 2013 Thor Chateau with a 30amp Solarforce solar controller. I would like to replace my group 27 Harris house battery with a couple of group 31 deep cycle batteries. Does anyone know if 2 group 31s will fit? TIA, Ed

If you are doubling up on batteries I would suggest going to two 6 volt golf cart batteries. You will get better results.

Here is a good article about the differences in the batteries.
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/best-r...osing-reviews/
Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Two 6v batteries is the way to go. They are true deeeeeep cycle batteries and will take abuse such as discharging them to oblivion and bouncing back. Check out Trojan T 105's or T 135's. Check the height/width/depth of the batteries. Go to the Trojan web site for sizes. Height may be an issue. The group 31's will not be true deep cycle batteries no mater what the label says.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Six Volt

AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery Made In USA - Lifeline Batteries As I posted on the other discussion, we opted for two of these six volt AGM batteries for the Axis. They are taller so we had to turn them on their sides to fit under the step.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery Made In USA - Lifeline Batteries As I posted on the other discussion, we opted for two of these six volt AGM batteries for the Axis. They are taller so we had to turn them on their sides to fit under the step.
Which ones did you buy? Did they fit right in on their sides? How do you handle the coach batteries being AGM and the chassis battery regular lead acid in terms of your converter charger and alternator charging both at the same time? Don’t they have to be charged differently? AGM’s are great. I had them on my sailboat for many years because I routinely put them on their sides while tacking.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We replaced our Group 27 Harris batteries with Group 31 Interstate AGM batteries. Slightly wider footprint, just a bit taller.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Get the out side case measurements for the batteries you are thinking of.
With true deep cycle batteries going with 6 or 12 volt is a personnel choice.
There is no major difference in performance of batteries with the same 20 hour aH ratings.
The difference in Ah ratings between Trojan 105's, 225 aH, and Exide Stowaways, a pair 210 aH, is only 15 aH. The Trojans have a higher cost.
With 6 volt all the charge current flows through both batteries while half, if the 12 volt are wired right, of the available charge current flows through each.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #8

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Which ones did you buy? Did they fit right in on their sides? How do you handle the coach batteries being AGM and the chassis battery regular lead acid in terms of your converter charger and alternator charging both at the same time? Don’t they have to be charged differently? AGM’s are great. I had them on my sailboat for many years because I routinely put them on their sides while tacking.
Hello ONeil,
Checked my records on the batteries. I did have to replace my dead original chassis battery before dealing with the house batteries. The chassis battery is a AGM Grp 65 775 CCA. The house batteries are LifeLine GPL-4CT AGM 6 Volt. They were installed on their sides with a bit of a modification to the base plate and addition of some painted sheet metal to protect the terminals that are now horizontal. Longer tie down straps too. Not cheap, but I was told that the six volt batteries will last twice as long as the 12 volt. So far so good.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Hello ONeil,
Checked my records on the batteries. I did have to replace my dead original chassis battery before dealing with the house batteries. The chassis battery is a AGM Grp 65 775 CCA. The house batteries are LifeLine GPL-4CT AGM 6 Volt. They were installed on their sides with a bit of a modification to the base plate and addition of some painted sheet metal to protect the terminals that are now horizontal. Longer tie down straps too. Not cheap, but I was told that the six volt batteries will last twice as long as the 12 volt. So far so good.
Thank for the info. I will put it in my file for when I have to replace my current batteries. AGMs certainly should last a lot longer than lead acid, especially because they take the shake, rattle and role of RVs much better. I found that in my boat. The only thing that has me a little worried are the recharging parameters. AGM battery manufactures want you to have a converter/charger with am AGM mode since the charging parameters are a little different. It’s good you have all AGMs but that WFO converter is probably not doing them justice. My PD4655 says it will charge AGMs but dies not have a switch to change to an AGM mode. If I decide to switch, I will have to check with Progressive Dynamics and see if the PD4655 will charge AGMs effectively. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #10

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Thank for the info. I will put it in my file for when I have to replace my current batteries. AGMs certainly should last a lot longer than lead acid, especially because they take the shake, rattle and role of RVs much better. I found that in my boat. The only thing that has me a little worried are the recharging parameters. AGM battery manufactures want you to have a converter/charger with am AGM mode since the charging parameters are a little different. It’s good you have all AGMs but that WFO converter is probably not doing them justice. My PD4655 says it will charge AGMs but dies not have a switch to change to an AGM mode. If I decide to switch, I will have to check with Progressive Dynamics and see if the PD4655 will charge AGMs effectively. Thanks again.
No problem sir. I have had this set up for a few months now so I'll let you know if any issues come up. I admit that I had this done with the recommendation of my service adviser at Redlands Truck and RV. This is a family owned business that so far I have been extremely pleased with and put the service department at the dealership in Colton to shame. Like I said, a bit spendy but if they last longer, it is worth it to me.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #11

THOR #10719
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
If you are doubling up on batteries I would suggest going to two 6 volt golf cart batteries. You will get better results.

Here is a good article about the differences in the batteries.
Choosing the Best RV Battery: Which is Right for You?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Two 6v batteries is the way to go. They are true deeeeeep cycle batteries and will take abuse such as discharging them to oblivion and bouncing back. Check out Trojan T 105's or T 135's. Check the height/width/depth of the batteries. Go to the Trojan web site for sizes. Height may be an issue. The group 31's will not be true deep cycle batteries no mater what the label says.
I don't think there is enough height in the battery compartment for the golf cart batteries.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Vegas 24.1
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3973
Quote:
Do you have any pictures of the batteries installed?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #13

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd View Post
In progress. Will post when done.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #14

THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolandd View Post
Sorry, posted on the other thread the pictures of the AGM 6 volt batteries. "Picture of Axis/Vegas House Batteries"
Old 02-19-2018, 11:32 PM   #15

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I just wanted to say that Costco (Sunnyvale CA) has Interstate Group 27 Deep Cycle batteries for $79.79 each.