Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
THOR #3433
Propane odor during frigid temperatures

On a couple of occasions I've noticed a propane odor in the coach when the temperatures dipped below 10°F. The rig is parked and I do have shore power connected to keep the battery charged. I did have the main tank valve open but no appliances were in use, and I did close the tank valve when I noticed the odor. Could gaskets/seals have shrunk enough in those low temperatures to cause a leak? I'll try to check all the connections I can get to but this only happens when it gets really cold; too cold for me to go out and troubleshoot.

Thanks,

KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #2

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
did the propane alarm go off???
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

THOR #3433
No, no alarm
Old 02-04-2018, 11:50 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
It might be a pain but for the piece of mind I would check every fitting. I found the fitting coming off my propane tank to be barely finger tight!. While you are at it check all your fittings for water while at it, at the sinks and water heater. They are often bordering loose. Just an FYI from experience
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:59 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
I had a similar issue but at the tank itself. During a cold snap I was working on my MH and cracked open the propane for heat. I immediately smelled a leak which emminated from the connections. Confirmed with a little soapy water. Guess the change in temp. caused the leak on one of the connections that may have been less than tight. Just took some snugging up to stop the leak. Now I wait a few moments after opening the tank valve to check for leaks.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
ALERT!!!
If you have odor, you have a leak. Our Vegas had a leak in the hose from the tank, that was hard to find. No alarm went off. It turned out to be a bad hose end in the hose from the LP tank. Out of warranty, I found a place that could make the hose to replace it.

A spray bottle with a soapy mix is the best way to find the source of a gas leak. Start at the LP tank, and with the valve open check every connection from there on. If the soapy solution bubbles up, there's your leak!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #7

THOR #3433
Thanks to all for the suggestions and the warnings. Once the weather improves I'll ckeck all of the connections and fix whatever is wrong. I'm just thankful we weren't already travelling. You don't have to leave home to go on an adventure with an RV, regardless of the manufacturer!
Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
In my case it was the connection to the stovetop.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #9

THOR #3433
Propane odor mystery solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8RXQ View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions and the warnings. Once the weather improves I'll ckeck all of the connections and fix whatever is wrong. I'm just thankful we weren't already travelling. You don't have to leave home to go on an adventure with an RV, regardless of the manufacturer!
I think we found the answer to the propane leak.

I had a local mobile RV repair service come out to troubleshoot what I thought was a propane leak. He took out his "sniffer" and went all over the lines/fittings and the appliances and couldn't find anything. It wasn't until I started describing the problem that it dawned on us both; the blowing rain forced its way into the furnace compartment, and found its way under the circuut board - shorting out some of the "runs". The clicking I was describing was either the furnace trying to light, or the solenoid cycling, and in doing so was allowing the gas valve to open (or cycle open and close) and was leaking propane into the rig. I am so thankful that nothing ignited and torched the motorhome.

The technician removed the furnace cover and found water puddled under the board again as well as under the blower wheel but the gasket appeared to be sealing the cover like it should. He did find where Thor didn't seal behind the furnace mounting flange and he proceeded to clean/mask the area and then applied a bead of clear exterior caulk. We'll see if that helps. Also, he contacted Atwood and explained what he found, and made it a point to say we knew the motorhome was out of warranty and that we only wanted advice on how to make an effective and lasting repair. The Atwood tech got snotty with the guy thinking we were blaming Atwood but he repeadtedly told her we weren't trying to lay blame on anyone. Finally she got the hint and then said Atwood would send a board modification kit (including a new board) as a good will gesture; all I pay for is the labor which I would have done anyway but I'm thankful for the help.

I believe this will be the end of the tale for this problem but you sure learn a lot when it comes to troubleshooting these things. Hopefully once the repair is completed I will feel more comfortable about taking it down to the Alexandria, LA area in March.

Thank you all for your advice and your support, and maybe this will be of some help to someone else.