Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
THOR #14450
Propane Stay A While Info Needed

I know I have seen a thread or two talking about installing the Stay a While valve on the propane tank. They listed all the parts needed but I cant find it anywhere. I want to extend the 1x20 outlet (Port) from the driver side to the passenger side 5-10 ft from the coach. Looking for the best way to accomplish this.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The "Extend-A-Stay" is a pre-configured valve assembly you can buy online or any camp supply store. Make sure you do the soap test...they are very sensitive to leaks. It's mostly for using a portable bottle to supply the camper.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect.../dp/B0014JG7RQ
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
The Extend-A-Stay and Stay-Awhile (sp?) install before the regulator and are, therefore, HIGH pressure. After the regulator, everything else, propane, is Low pressure. Which is why you can't hook up your bottled BBQ to the quick connect port, that'd be 2 regulators and not enough pressure.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
The Extend-A-Stay and Stay-Awhile (sp?) install before the regulator and are, therefore, HIGH pressure. After the regulator, everything else, propane, is Low pressure. Which is why you can't hook up your bottled BBQ to the quick connect port, that'd be 2 regulators and not enough pressure.

The threads on this subject are second in length only to the Library of Congress. You can hook up most anything to the LP supply of your RV. You just have to remove the regulator that came with your "other device", as your "new supply" of LP Gas has now already been run through the regulator of the RV. This will require some new plumbing in the supply lines. It's best to just post the specific device you wish to use and someone with the exact setup you wish will tell you how they did theirs. The raw gas supply from any LP tank or Bottle is considered "high pressure". Any device that uses LP Gas (other than a space rocket or gigantic commercial cooker) is designed to run on "low pressure". This includes nearly all outside consumer grills, etc.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The threads on this subject are second in length only to the Library of Congress. You can hook up most anything to the LP supply of your RV. You just have to remove the regulator that came with your "other device", as your "new supply" of LP Gas has now already been run through the regulator of the RV. This will require some new plumbing in the supply lines. It's best to just post the specific device you wish to use and someone with the exact setup you wish will tell you how they did theirs. The raw gas supply from any LP tank or Bottle is considered "high pressure". Any device that uses LP Gas (other than a space rocket or gigantic commercial cooker) is designed to run on "low pressure". This includes nearly all outside consumer grills, etc.
Well said!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

THOR #11130
There's probably some poor guy still flying over the desert on fire as a result of advice he followed on a forum or YouTube Video regarding LP Gas and grill hookups to RV's.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 AM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I just installed the Camco Extend a Stay my ACE 30.1. Took about 30 minutes. Attached is a link to one of the many YouTube videos on the topic.

You basically have two connections. The small one is used to connect a 20 pound propane tank (or 30, or 100 - any tank will work). The larger one is used to allow you route high pressure propane direct off the tank to other propane appliances. You get two hoses. One for connecting the high pressure tank and the other to connect to an appliance.

The appliance, such as a something like a Weber Q barbecue that uses the one pound disposable bottles can be used directly. The Extend a Stay hose has a connector that screws into the disposable bottle connector.

Appliances that connect to 20 pound (or similar tanks) with a POL connector requires an adapter fitting. However, all appliances connected to the Extend a Stay require their own regulators.

I have a Overland gas fire pit that has the standard POL tank connector and found I can use the Extend a Stay hose with an adapter fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If an appliance doesn’t have its own high pressure to low pressure regulator, then you can’t tie into the Extend a Stay without adding a regulator.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:43 AM   #8

THOR #11130
BOOM...now, there you have it!! Exactly correct assessment!!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:13 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Insatllation

If correctly installed, the extend-a-stay adapter will be forward of the regulator, using the existing regulator to govern the pressure entering the coach.

I can grab a pic if you need it but I think you get it.

Been using it since I started full-timing- 3m now. I use the onboard for the fridge while traveling and a 20lb extend-a-stay for everything else. You'll like it that way Works for me and could for you.

Take care and safe travels.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #10

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTransplant View Post
I just installed the Camco Extend a Stay my ACE 30.1. Took about 30 minutes. Attached is a link to one of the many YouTube videos on the topic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If an appliance doesn’t have its own high pressure to low pressure regulator, then you can’t tie into the Extend a Stay without adding a regulator.
I installed one similar, or the same as one of these, and ran into a problem.
In my bright mind, I wanted to run the RV house, and a Weber grill + a Coleman burner fold out from a separate 20 lb tank utilizing the 2 connections provided.

Since the Weber & Coleman have a regulator, I ran a flexible gas line (on the ground) to the other side of the RV, where a fold up table under the awning we set up.

The problem is when connecting to the 1"-20 tpi POL (Prest-O-Lite) fitting.
When attaching to it, the Shrader valve inside it closes off the other, smaller one, that is 90 degrees out from it where manufactured, but still allowed flow through to the RV's regulator and on.
It essentially let me only choose one to hook up to.

For savings sake, I did shut off on board supply, hooked up my portable tank, before doing this set up, discovering the dilemma at the camp site.
Never was a plan to have both on simultaneously, I wanted to reserve on board supply, the whole idea!

Since I had a tee for the Weber, and a Coleman portable burner set up on my table, so I could completely have an outside cook area (both cookers with a built in regulator) supplied with unregulated gas pressure, I ended up choosing only one cooker, and had to use the tee & two short hose lines, at the propane supply hook up.

It all worked, just not the way I planned.
I have enough short and long hoses to eventually complete my set up, I just need another tee connection to do so.

It's always something!
Old 03-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #11

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
There are 2 versions of the extend a stay - a 3 port and a 4 port. The 3 port does not have the auxiliary 20# port. I installed the 3 port and run the coach and my Blackstone grill from the onboard tank.

I also continue to carry 2 of the one pound tanks for the grill in the event that I need to grill away from the coach.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
THOR #14450
Thanks Guys for all the wisdom. Much appreciated.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Now, go catch up with that guy flying over the desert!!