Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2022, 03:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds
State: Florida
THOR #25115
Propane Tank Replacement

I was loosing propane and found out my tanks leaking. Can I replace it myself or have it done.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:36 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Have you looked to see if it fits your skill level?
It truly is very easy
But:
I can't think of an instance where I've ever found, nor heard of, the tank itself leaking.

Tell us what you know, what you think you know and what has lead you to this knowing.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:03 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by burch View Post
I was loosing propane and found out my tanks leaking. Can I replace it myself or have it done.
With all due respect. The fact that you asked the question, I would say emphatically No to your question

But my advice, is to find a good Propane repair shop you can trust, spend your effort finding a very reputable business with tenure let them check it out, let them tell you what is wrong, and take their advice. Live longer
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #4

THOR #25115
I took it to Camping World and that was their diagnosis. After dealing with them a few times I can say they aren’t very hospitable and their customer service is lousy. I feel like I can change out the tank and pressure gauge myself. The problem is: I have no knowledge of pressure testing it.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:50 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Replace it. Fill it with air pressure. Put soapy water on joints. No bubbles, no leaks. I’d be comfortable with it. But I also would not trust a CW diagnosis.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As noted above, I really, really don't think that the tank itself is leaking unless it is covered with rust and if so, it is a time bomb. Much more likely that a fitting is leaking.

Sounds to me that neither you nor Camping World has the skills to find the problem and fix it. Call a local propane distributer. They have people or can refer you to people who can fix it.

David
Old 01-11-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
As noted above, I really, really don't think that the tank itself is leaking unless it is covered with rust and if so, it is a time bomb. Much more likely that a fitting is leaking.

Sounds to me that neither you nor Camping World has the skills to find the problem and fix it. Call a local propane distributer. They have people or can refer you to people who can fix it.

David
That is my point but perhaps you stated better.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #8

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Agreed with the other replies. A quick look shows a lot of propane service companies around Orlando. Let your fingers do the walking, you will find one you can drive to for diagnosis and repair. A tank leak is very rare. I didn't see how old your coach is but Thor customer service might be some help. They can at least send you the construction diagrams for the lpg lines but ask for water, sewer, electrical (etc) also.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:26 PM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnach View Post
Agreed with the other replies. A quick look shows a lot of propane service companies around Orlando. Let your fingers do the walking, you will find one you can drive to for diagnosis and repair. A tank leak is very rare. I didn't see how old your coach is but Thor customer service might be some help. They can at least send you the construction diagrams for the lpg lines but ask for water, sewer, electrical (etc) also.
But if he does decide to do it himself, I hope he & RV is not too close to Magic Kingdom

OP may also wish to call Manchester directly assuming they made the tank for additional guidance (they made mine). If the tanks has a leak, I guarantee they will want to know. They will access to all of the Mfg records based on date code and serial number.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #10

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
I would really like to tell you the leak detect method my father (butane delivery man) thought me but don't think I could stand the responses from the forum

So here's the method I was thought at work, we had a company provided leak detector
It consisted of a 1qt can, a soft bristled brush and leak detector soap.
Brush the solution on/around all connections on the tank while carefully looking for bubbles to appear a bigger high pressure leak is harder to detect than a slow leak. Lots of little bubbles from a slow leak.

Don't get excited if you don't find a leak, time to move under the mh.

You can buy leak detector from, Granger, Amazon etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-10324-L...66&sr=8-2&th=1

Most leaks can be stopped by tightening the leaking fitting.

As usual YouTube is your friend.
Start watching at the 2:50 mark.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:55 AM   #11

THOR #25115
I’m going to fill up my tank a quarter of the way full and check all connections and the tank it self and go from there. If the tank is leaking I’ll contact the manufacturer. Looks like Dawn & water will work.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:20 AM   #12

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I wouldn’t trust what CW said. We had a leak brought it to them and they supposedly checked it. I mean I paid for it but they didn’t check anything because they said our tank wasn’t leaking. Of course that wasn’t the case and using the soapy water trick I finally found it. Fixed the problem myself. Even if you can’t find the leak go get a second option. Unless you tank is super old or has been damaged I would highly doubt the tank would need to be replaced.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:14 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 38RSB3
State: Wisconsin
THOR #13106
Quote:
I took it to Camping World and that was their diagnosis. After dealing with them a few times I can say they aren’t very hospitable and their customer service is lousy. I feel like I can change out the tank and pressure gauge myself. The problem is: I have no knowledge of pressure testing it.
I agree with your assessment of Camping world. Since moving from the west coast to the mid-west we've had nothing but problems with CW. In Oregon they were great, and used them frequently. No longer use them out here in Wisconsin. I also think it could have started when the merger of CW and Gander took place. Both things happened about the same time.

Jack
Old 01-15-2022, 09:27 PM   #14

THOR #25115
After starting all this with CW I finally got a date to take it for my LP. I’ve been dealing with this since December and my parts have been in for 3 weeks. It’s only a two day jog. I swear my time with their service has ended forever. They’re just a retail store and shouldn’t be in the service dept.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:54 PM   #15

Model: Sprinter four winds
State: Georgia
THOR #14780
Quote:
We had a leak problem with a strong oder of propane in and about the RV . . We determined that it was the pressure gauge. it wasn’t hard to replace. It cost less then $50.00.
We have a 2017 fourwinds
Old 01-16-2022, 10:46 PM   #16
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Two and a half years ago our local group was camping and one had a gas leak. I smelt it. Another guy had a leak detector and could not find the leak. I really smelt the propane. So I got my propane detector. I have to wave its sensor around to get it down to be very sensitive without sounding an alarm. Boy did it go off. Got it down to almost no sensitivity and found the leak at the back mounting weld for the tank. This is the second tank he had to replace. The OEM lasted fourteen years. He opted to save eight hundred dollars and got a cheep tank. It lasted him two years. He replaced it with an OEM. On my old fifth wheel, I had a leak I could not find, dealer could not find, and an independent RV repair facility could not find. The leak detector I purchased did. So sensitive it got down to the exact spot on the fitting. It is a cheep one I got on Amazon. Propane use was cut to less than half over a four weeks. The leak was at the water heater.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #17

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
I’m going to fill up my tank a quarter of the way full and check all connections and the tank itself and go from there. If the tank is leaking, I’ll contact the manufacturer. Looks like Dawn & water will work.
This sounds like a good plan.

I have to ask, are you sure it is the tank, have you isolated it by turning off the valve?
Also, what alerts you, odor, or loss of pressure as noted by the gauge?

I might start with the tank shut, check around valve, and look if it's rusted. like someone else had mentioned.
If no leak found on the tank, then open valve and move down line from there.

Of course, this could be intimidating depending on your skills and desire to DIY, professional help could be sought out in that case.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2022, 01:52 PM   #18

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
About leaks

A propane system can have such a small leak that you can detect the smell but the soapy method may not find. That's my situation with my GFs SOB 5th wheel. Somewhere in the connections between the lefty side 7g tank and the switching regulator on the right side, there is a smell detectable leak/seep. I have used the soapy method a couple time with no results. I plan to get one of the leak detectors but haven't yet. For the time being I just keep the left tank closed and swap positions when necessary. Trailer is more "cabin" that traveling RV.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote