Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Protecting the radtor in VEGAS\AXIS

We were surprised to see no protection in front of the radiator which is open to the grill.

How have some of you VEGAS\AXIS owners addressed this issue. I was thinking of putting some wire in front of the radiator to deflect rocks and other dangers, but not sure where to attach and anchor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 07-13-2016, 03:10 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Radiator Protection

This is also addressed in Ed Felker's manual! Being so paranoid about an easy fix issue, I went to my local metal supply business and bought some expanded aluminum which I cut to fit and used existing welded nuts in place to secure it in front of the radiator. Also painted it black so it doesn't even show from the front. I don't like the screen door protector approach that some people are using because I don't think it is strong enough. I know that on our trip to Yellowstone NP it killed quite a few grasshoppers which was much easier to clean than if they had gone into the radiator.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Mo Mike,

I went with the screen door protector available from Lowes and Home Depo for $20+.

We went to the NC Mountains (Catawba Falls, exit 72 Old Fort NC) two weeks ago, after the set up for the weekend I was doing a walk around checking everything and I found some "Stuff" on the chromed section grill and major parts of a small bird wedged in the screen protector and chromed grill. Nothing broken, but a messy clean up to do without drawing attention to the DW (quite the animal lover, no sense starting camping weekend on a bummer note).

The last 15 minutes of the drive was at less than 35mph on a very narrow twisting mountain road so I am guessing that is where I picked up the bird as the first hour speeds were up to 65mph and I think I would have heard or felt something at that speed.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3306
Many have modified a screen door pet protector from Lowes, Menards, Home Depot... You can find details in this thread...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...tion-2179.html