Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The only trigger wire I have hooked up is reverse, it brings up the distance grid for backing up.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #22

THOR #5196
If your leads match these colors you’re in business. This is courtesy of Dino!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC576004-7B75-4900-BE4A-39F71D60E446.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	8322
Old 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.4
State: West Virginia
THOR #8716
Not on my ACE. I printed those instructions and used them for the install. Got all of the cameras in the correct quadrants but the trigger wires on mine don’t completely match what is on the list. The color combination that the Thor CSR gave me didn’t work either.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #24

THOR #5196
I would say hook up the cameras, attach the power leads, and call it done. You can still view all 3 cameras if you want or just the rear (my preference). Everything will work just no changing when putting the turn signals on.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'll put my two cents worth in for anybody following along.

I picked up this 10" monitor on Amazon for under $100:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Added this RCA "Y" connector (you get 2 but you only need 1):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Connect the piggyback "Y" connector between the cable from the switchbox and the radio video-in. Connect the other end to the new monitor's RCA video in and mount the new monitor where you prefer. I put mine to the left side of the steering wheel on the dash. Run 12 volt power to the new monitor or use the included cigarette light plug to provide power.

Now you can always see the backup camera on the new monitor.
The radio display works just as before.
And when you trigger the side cameras with the turn signals they display on the new monitor.

Way cheaper than the Rearviewsafety stuff and you don't have to mess with triggers, the switchbox, or funky connectors.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:58 AM   #26

THOR #8716
Super D, I think that’s what I’ll will do. All of the cameras work and gives me what is necessary. Thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 AM   #27

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post
Super D, I think that’s what I’ll will do. All of the cameras work and gives me what is necessary. Thanks
You are very welcome! I think you’ll find that after using a couple of times you won’t miss having the trigger wires hooked up, especially since you can view all three cameras at the same time!
Old 12-21-2017, 03:41 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
The reason I like the multiview is it acts like a blind spot mirror, so you don't have to turn the turn signal on to get a good view of the whole side of the coach. Number one camera input is not used because that way the left camera shows on the left side and the right,, etc.

It is very handy for when you are in heavy freeway traffic.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #29
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
The reason I like the multiview is it acts like a blind spot mirror, so you don't have to turn the turn signal on to get a good view of the whole side of the coach. Number one camera input is not used because that way the left camera shows on the left side and the right,, etc.

It is very handy for when you are in heavy freeway traffic.
Maybe a larger view would be different - but personally feel I don't see any more in the side cameras than I do by looking in the mirrors...
(I have a Hurricane that doesn't 'narrow' up front like Axis/Vegas which may make a difference too..)

Rear view of course is zero without the camera - which is what my radio display is normally showing...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #30

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
Kabutl asked that I post this info:

I installed a 10 Inch Quad view monitor in our Vegas as the dash mount is pretty much worthless when driving. It just can't be viewed safely. We are very happy with it. It was really easy to install, mostly plug and play into the existing connections under the dash panel. The trigger connections are easily traced using a volt meter and turning them on one by one. The cameras just plug in. The monitor shows 4 screens, one of course is blank cause there are only three cameras. When a turn signal is used or put in reverse, the screen goes full screen to that camera. You can configure to three screens but I didn't like the layout.
It is convenient and faces the driver. When preparing to turn in heavy traffic it is intuitive to check the screen you want as they are layed out as they look. if all is clear you then turn on the turn signal and get full screen.

The only thing that is flaky is the monitor seems to refresh itself every couple of minutes. Haven't figured out why, but will mess with it in warmer weather. I got the monitor from Rear View Safety.
Be prepared the documentation is almost worthless.
I assume you had to buy either a new switch box or conversion cables to go from RCA at the new monitor to the aviation/cannon connectors from the cameras. Do you know what you used and maybe a part number? The switch box that is in there now looks to only display one camera at a time so I assume that needs to be replaced?
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #31

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
I added this rear view monitor to my 25.3 last year. I disliked both the location and the operation of the factory system. This system allows me to see behind my coach 100% of the time, not just when in reverse. I mount it on top of my dash with a suction cup...right beside my GPS. I can see both while still keeping an eye on the road ahead. Unfortunately, the price has gone up almost $100 since I bought mine...shop around.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #32

THOR #6934
The monitor comes with aviation cables already installed, so the cameras are plug and play. The switch box is not used, it is all internal in the monitor. The power and triggers just need to be wired individually.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 PM   #33

THOR #6934
The monitor comes with aviation cables already installed, so the cameras are plug and play. The switch box is not used, it is all internal in the monitor. The power and triggers just need to be wired individually.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #34

THOR #8716
I changed out the switch box in preparation for the quad monitor. Now I’m not getting power in the line. Does anyone know if there is an “in-line” fuse somewhere in the dash for the switch box?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #35

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Changed out the non-working, problematic Jensen radio/monitor. (Actually the second one) with the 9" Quad and new radio. Took some carving... got it to fit. Better than expected. Never posted a pic, here goes.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #36

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Texas
THOR #1406
Pic as promised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180208_165303.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	9010