Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Cold water zap in shower fix when resuming to lather

Can someone recommend some single lever shower faucets for a shower RV?

My goal is to get equalized pressure so when I stop the water and resume it later it does not send a burst of cold water

I will also be interested in kits that may faucet, shower hose and even a bath sink fixture.

All suggestions appreciated.

Below are a few options I am looking at ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WVP7QBZ3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4EPM2APX&psc=1

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:16 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There was a thread on this issue about 6 Months ago.
There was a YouTube video in it, and the guy figured out that it was happening due to the differences in the pressure in the hot and cold lines.
He figured out where to put a shut-off valve that didn't all the cold water to get pushed back,down the hot water line.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:12 AM   #3

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
There was a thread on this issue about 6 Months ago.
There was a YouTube video in it, and the guy figured out that it was happening due to the differences in the pressure in the hot and cold lines.
He figured out where to put a shut-off valve that didn't all the cold water to get pushed back,down the hot water line.

I remember that, but now 15 cold zaps later this is now a priority for me

I wish to replace the existing 2 handle fixture so getting a valve to fix that status quo is not in the plan. I believe the Single Lever faucets will give me multiple benefits. It is likely only a matter of time before a cartridge in the existing faucets starts to leak anyway.

I want a faucet where we can adjust the pressure between hot and cold with the lever and also turn the water on / off without having to reach to the shower handle.

I am hoping someone can tell me what they may have purchased before I buy. I provided links to what I am currently looking at.

btw, this thread should be all you want to know why I will never get the bidet, I surely can't handle a cold water zap in the butt!!!
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 04-18-2021, 12:24 AM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Well... you could hook the bidet up to a hot water line...

But then you never leave the bathroom!
Old 04-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I don't have the brand name but the single lever shower valve in the Tuscany has the hot adjustment screw and seems to work very well. I do keep the hot water temperature at around 112 as well to minimize scale build up and danger of burns.

After 5 years going on 6 it is holding up well so apparently a decent quality level.

I would try the large RV part houses to get their input and models available
Old 04-24-2021, 01:46 AM   #6

THOR #13058
I installed https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4EPM2APX&psc=1 today.

It solved 3 problems

1. Replaced the leaking cartridges in OEM unit
2. Eliminate need to turn two knobs
3. Stopped the cold water zapping

Added benefits

* You can stop the water flow using the single lever or with hand sprayer
* Nickel satin finish (looks more elegant)
* Easier to install and remove than the OEM
Old 04-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Old 04-24-2021, 02:05 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Congratulations!
Someone told me to buy an RV and then may it mine. I am just about getting there. This only cost me $45 bucks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210423_205741 rotate.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	29969  
Old 04-24-2021, 11:32 AM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
I installed a diverter between the shower head and controls in my Class B for my shower. It routes all shower water back to the fresh tank for a few seconds till the temp stabilized from my water heater, then I switch it to shower mode. Never a cold burst of water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	29970  
Old 04-24-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Someone told me to buy an RV and then may it mine. I am just about getting there. This only cost me $45 bucks
When you get done with yours: I could always use a second wallet in my corner...
Old 04-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Cold water zap in shower fix when resuming to lather

I’m actually replacing my single control with a dual control. A dual control is much better for the tankless water heater since you dont mix cold water with the hot.

The other advantage of the dual controls over the single is you won’t bump the lever when moving around in a tight shower space and cause cold water to overtake the hot. [emoji106]
Old 04-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Judge,
How large is the shower in your RV? Ours is just 24" x 32": so we've got some experience with learning how to keep our feet in one place...
Old 04-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I installed a diverter between the shower head and controls in my Class B for my shower. It routes all shower water back to the fresh tank for a few seconds till the temp stabilized from my water heater, then I switch it to shower mode. Never a cold burst of water.
Wow, I love engineering. Options are endless.

In my case; my do something moment came because one of the cartridges inside the 2 knob faucet sprung a leak and was annoying to see when using.

So versus simply replacing the cartridge I bought a single lever unit. This single-handle lever unit I found controls temperature and water pressure with an easy-turn motion. So the temperature stays constant until released. I got it for $41 off Amazon + tax. It works great!!! Better look and no more cold water zapping are collateral benefits in addition to fixing the cartridge leak
Old 04-24-2021, 01:25 PM   #14

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I’m actually replacing my single control with a dual control. A dual control is much better for the tankless water heater since you dont mix cold water with the hot.

The other advantage of the dual controls over the single is you won’t bump the lever when moving around in a tight shower space and cause cold water to overtake the hot. [emoji106]
Wow this means a lot coming from you; so I have to respectfully proceed with caution

Here are my material facts.
1. We don't have tankless water heater (We have Suburban Gas only water heater)
2. Our OEM dual controls knobs were zapping us with cold water every time we tried to stop the water flow to conserve water
3. The new installed single lever does not zap with cold water and it has two ways to stop the water flow and resume at same temperature handheld sprayer & single lever.
4. The new unit controls temperature and water pressure with an easy-turn motion. So it is easy to see which position you like, and easy to set that way without trying to adjust two knobs
5. The single level extends out 2" further than our OEM dual knobs. Our shower is 24" x 36" x 75". We have plenty room in the shower before / after, I can't see this being a problem in our case at it is still underneath the shower head and we typically are at the back. If we were to bump it, it would most likely already be off and seems like you would know you hit it before turning it back on?
Old 04-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
When you get done with yours: I could always use a second wallet in my corner...
You know technically speaking... this could qualify as a warranty repair as a faucet cartridge was leaking? Does any know or care to play this out if I went through a 3rd party warranty company to file a claim to get this fixed?

i.e.
-Deductible?
-Having to involve a authorized service center of ESP?
-Maybe they fix cartridge's only, and not allow replacement fixture? If they did maybe limited choices of replacement?

Since I am self insured I am out $45 and the entire process from start to finish 1 week.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #16

Model: 2019 Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oregon
THOR #15824
We love this European mixing valve. It allows you to set the water temp at desired level, mixing hot and cold water in the device such that when you turn it off and back on the water temp is unchanged.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on the current handle spacing you may need adapter swing arms like those below (we did).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1497.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	30119  
Old 04-28-2021, 09:23 PM   #17

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Do you have a Girard tankless hot water heater? When you use the shower delay to temporarily stop flow of water, the Girard turns off. And when you resume your shower, you will get a blast of cold water. This irritated me so much that I took it out and replaced it with a Truma Aqua Flow in our last motorhome. Worked perfectly and the Admiral was happy. Far superior tankless water heater (check it out on Google). I took it out when trading RVs and plan to list it for sale soon.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Ontario
THOR #18007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow, I love engineering. Options are endless.

In my case; my do something moment came because one of the cartridges inside the 2 knob faucet sprung a leak and was annoying to see when using.

So versus simply replacing the cartridge I bought a single lever unit. This single-handle lever unit I found controls temperature and water pressure with an easy-turn motion. So the temperature stays constant until released. I got it for $41 off Amazon + tax. It works great!!! Better look and no more cold water zapping are collateral benefits in addition to fixing the cartridge leak
Hello everyone, I'm knew to this forum, I have a 2015 four winds 31L.
I am very interested in this topic on shower valves, I tried the links provided and got "page not found"
Can you provide make,model, etc. so I can research it?
Old 04-29-2021, 04:56 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTROCKY View Post
Hello everyone, I'm knew to this forum, I have a 2015 four winds 31L.
I am very interested in this topic on shower valves, I tried the links provided and got "page not found"
Can you provide make,model, etc. so I can research it?
There are no links in the post you quoted. Which link(s) are you having trouble with?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Ontario
THOR #18007
Btrocky

The links on Frankomd and ckoldman responses are the ones I am having trouble with.
Thanks for the response