Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2020, 03:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
Question: 2021 ACE 33.1 Seat Bolt Removal - Sound Dampening

I have couple of questions to ACE owners who have done Sound Dampening mod on their coach. I have seen someone's mod where they installed outdoor patio floor mat from Lowes on the front cabin floor, and added Sound Dampeners under the doghouse.

1. Those bolts that hold the frame for the seats, how are they attached to the floor? Are they bolted "directly" to the floor? Or is there a locking bolt "underneath" the floor that "may" fall under once I remove the threaded portion of the bolt? I just want to make sure nothing FALLS underneath once I remove the top bolt.

2. That "black strip of metal" that keeps the carpet in place, how do you remove that? I looked from end to end, and did NOT find any screw that holds it in place.

I want to do this modification this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.2
State: California
THOR #18232
Did you proceed with the mod? What did you find out?
Roadmaster Front/Rear Anti-Sway
Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer
Renato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #3

THOR #21278
I have not done the mod yet. But I have the parts I need. This is what I found out....

For #1 (Bolts for the Seat), there are accessible from underneath the coach. When you look from outside (underneath the seats), behind the tires, the 4 "nuts" holding the bolts are there.

For #2, I did not get a response on how to remove the black strip that holds the carpet. I will just do what the other fellow did (just put the rubber mat on tap of the black strip) and use a pan head screw to hold it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato View Post
Did you proceed with the mod? What did you find out?
Old 05-02-2021, 02:21 AM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19041
I know there has been some time since you originally posted, but did you ever end up removing the doghouse? I have a 2020 30.2 and looking to dynamat the doghouse. But curious if it really is as easy as removing the 4 (maybe it was 6) screws, doing the job, then putting it back together.

Wondering if there was nuts under that may fall.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #5

THOR #21278
I was able to remove the bolts of the seat. For the doghouse, I tried to remove it by unscrewing the 4 bolts that was holding it. I was able to back them out. However, the house seems like it was seated from the factory with some type of adhesive. I will have to pry it off. I have decided not to apply force to remove the dog house. When I went under the RV to remove the seat bolts, I noticed that the dog house is lined with some sort of dynamat material already. I already have the materials needed to add insulation. I will probably add that modification if ever I need to remove the dog house down the road.

(At the suggestion of another member here, I did add a stack for washers, about 8, to the FRONT of the seats to tilt them back a bit as I feel like I am sliding off the seats when driving. The seat felt much better now).

I did however did the flooring modification. Haven't driven the RV yet since installation. Here are some pics.

ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 02:55 AM   #6

State: North Carolina
THOR #19041
Thanks for the reply. thats what i was wondering about with some sort of factory adhesion. I wonder how thick that factory 'dynamat' like material is.

Trying to cut down on some of that road noise. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear an update after you take it out. IF you don't mind me asking, what was the total cost for adding the mat?
Old 05-02-2021, 04:19 AM   #7

THOR #21278
The mat cost me about $45 from Lowes. I hope it will reduce some of the noise and heat from the floor. I will post back here once I am able to take the RV out.
ador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Nice job on the mat! I used stall mat from Tractor supply - not screwed to the floor (it doesn't move and mine just goes from seat side to seat side.

The doghouse is not intentionally sealed/glued but they are sloppy with carpet glue and that's what generally holds it after removing the screws. Start at the rear lifting with putty knives and flat pry bars to work it out.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote