Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 44
THOR #17050
Radiator bug screen

Hi
We have a 2018 Thor Axis 25.3 we purchased in the Fall. Thinking about planning a trip soon as the country is opening back up.
We live in Florida along with the pesky LOVEBUGS.

Any recommendations on how to protect the radiator?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 323
THOR #12698
I had the same issue last year with those love bugs while down in Florida. I just had to rinse out the front of my coach every time I washed it. Luckily I found a coin operated rv wash bay at a gas station when I went into Kentucky after leaving Florida. The wash station had an option of a bug removal chemical spray which washed away all of them from my front end.

Paul
__________________

__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
Posts: 1,318
THOR #3483
Axis Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hi
We have a 2018 Thor Axis 25.3 we purchased in the Fall. Thinking about planning a trip soon as the country is opening back up.
We live in Florida along with the pesky LOVEBUGS.

Any recommendations on how to protect the radiator?

Thanks
Do a search in this forum on the subject and also look at Ed Felker's manual on this subject. Your biggest problem with the Axis/Vegas is the large opening which is great for air flow but makes a great target for not only bugs but rocks. A rock hitting your radiator will definitely put a large kink in your trip.

I personally purchased a large piece of expanded aluminum and cut it to size. There were two already tapped holes at the top of the radiator frame that I secured the expanded aluminum with after I painted it black. I did go through a swarm of grasshoppers around Fallon, NV and they didn't make it to the radiator either.
__________________
axis earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
Posts: 972
THOR #1249
You can check here
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...tion-2179.html
post # 7 for what I did to keep bugs and FOD out of grill.
Also lots of posts of other ideas on mods for that area. May save you some search time.
__________________
MR 2015 Thor Vegas 24.1 in Ocala
mcr1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:31 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #14300
Bug screen

I just added a custom bug screen to my 2019 Hurricane 29M. Looked at a bunch of different options and went with a custom made grill cover that snaps on. I made a template out of a plastic sheet by tracing the outline of the grille and cutting it out. Itís the same thing youíll see on many tractor trailer rigs.

I had it made by A&F Truck Art in El Paso Texas. 915 588 3960. I sent them the template and had my screen in a week. Really good service

I had it done in Black and had a felt material on the backing where itís against the front of the coach. I installed the supplied hardware myself in order to get a tight fit. Installed with button snaps that I painted black to blend in. Cost was $60. Kim
Blakey is the owner and did a great job. Iíll try get a photo and post tomorrow
__________________
2019 Thor Hurricane 29M
Road Master Stabilizers
Safety Plus
Sumo Springs
Road Master Spare Tire / Hitch
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 858
THOR #11781
Has anyone actually experienced radiator damage? I have read a lot about screens and stuff but don't recall reading someone actually having their motorhomes radiator damaged.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 31
THOR #18144
To remove the LOVE BUGS from any vehicle like the hood and glass just get some BOUNTY FABRIC SOFTENER SHEETS and wet them. The bugs literally melt away. Then rinse with water.


I have many helpful hints-this is one
__________________
LAEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #14300
Bug screen

Here is the bug screen I had made for my 29M Hurricane. Took it out this past week and it worked great. All engine temps were in the same range as before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F9A5A177-3038-41F1-9BA0-82221A98F380.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	23897  
__________________
2019 Thor Hurricane 29M
Road Master Stabilizers
Safety Plus
Sumo Springs
Road Master Spare Tire / Hitch
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:06 AM   #9
Member
 
Rysiek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
Posts: 79
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
I just added a custom bug screen to my 2019 Hurricane 29M. Looked at a bunch of different options and went with a custom made grill cover that snaps on. I made a template out of a plastic sheet by tracing the outline of the grille and cutting it out. Itís the same thing youíll see on many tractor trailer rigs.

I had it made by A&F Truck Art in El Paso Texas. 915 588 3960. I sent them the template and had my screen in a week. Really good service

I had it done in Black and had a felt material on the backing where itís against the front of the coach. I installed the supplied hardware myself in order to get a tight fit. Installed with button snaps that I painted black to blend in. Cost was $60. Kim
Blakey is the owner and did a great job. Iíll try get a photo and post tomorrow
Hello Pilobob,
Would you please, attach the photos of your project. I am really interested in your idea. Thank you very much.
__________________
Rysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #14300
Bug screen

Hi Ryseik,
I posted a picture of the screen yesterday on my coach. Look back on the thread and all the info on how I measured and where I had it made is there. Was pretty simple and came out really well.
Take care,
Bob
__________________
2019 Thor Hurricane 29M
Road Master Stabilizers
Safety Plus
Sumo Springs
Road Master Spare Tire / Hitch
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 460
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
Here is the bug screen I had made for my 29M Hurricane. Took it out this past week and it worked great. All engine temps were in the same range as before.

Hi Bob. That looks great. I have a 31z and the front is the same. Do you think if I call the guy that did yours he would be able to do another one?
Not sure how you attached it but it may be easy once I see it. Thanks Jeff.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29 M Hurricane
State: Florida
Posts: 29
THOR #14300
Bug screen

Hi Jeff, I know Kim can make one for you, Iím not sure the measurements would be the same as my 29m. I took a plastic sheet and taped it tightly to the front of the coach. I then outlined the shape I wanted with a magic marker and cut it out to come up with the template. I went out about an inch all around. I attached it with snap buttons that I painted black. The male part of the snap is drilled into the front of the coach. I installed the snaps and hardware myself as I wanted to a tight fit. Kim did a great job, I paid around $60 for the whole job, he also included the hardware, and put a felt backing on it to protect the gel coat.Iím glad I did as the front grille on my coach is wide open. Radiator and transmission coolers are all exposed to debris.
__________________
2019 Thor Hurricane 29M
Road Master Stabilizers
Safety Plus
Sumo Springs
Road Master Spare Tire / Hitch
Pilobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #13
Member
 
Rysiek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
Posts: 79
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilobob View Post
Hi Jeff, I know Kim can make one for you, Iím not sure the measurements would be the same as my 29m. I took a plastic sheet and taped it tightly to the front of the coach. I then outlined the shape I wanted with a magic marker and cut it out to come up with the template. I went out about an inch all around. I attached it with snap buttons that I painted black. The male part of the snap is drilled into the front of the coach. I installed the snaps and hardware myself as I wanted to a tight fit. Kim did a great job, I paid around $60 for the whole job, he also included the hardware, and put a felt backing on it to protect the gel coat.Iím glad I did as the front grille on my coach is wide open. Radiator and transmission coolers are all exposed to debris.
Hello Pilobob,
I got it. Saw the picture and the description of your project. You did really good job. Thank you. Happy Memorial Day!
__________________
Rysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:42 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
Posts: 2
THOR #11731
Amazon Has them for about 30 bucks. Thatís where we bought ours. We love it
__________________
Cathyroark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:17 AM   #15
vkb
Senior Member
 
vkb's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
Posts: 2,097
THOR #3510
Our documentation regarding the radiator protector is in the link to the old discussion on same.
Briefly, … we went to Lowes and bought a screen door protector which Ron installed in front of the radiator. Allows plenty of air circulation and stops the bugs as well.
On a side note...last May, when visiting family in FL...we encountered the love bugs...at the RV park in Lakeland, we used wet dryer sheets to remove most of them...and then after we escaped to north FL, we washed off the remainder of those pests !!
__________________
Ron & Kay n KC too !
2016 Axis 24.1 E-450 6 spd.
'KC's Big Box'
Jeep Wrangler TJ
or 6x10 enclosed motorcycle trailer
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:09 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta 24SS
State: California
Posts: 323
THOR #12698
Those Love Bugs were terrible last year when we were in Florida.
__________________
paulwadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
Member
 
Big-Foot's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
Posts: 77
THOR #14921
1/4Ē mesh Hardware Cloth (metal screen) from Menards, Lowes, etc... Put it on my 2017 Vegas and tow a 6,000# Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in 100+ degree heat. No problems and it stops all the bugs youíre really concerned about without adding too much restriction to air flow...
(Will upload more photos when this bloody iPad lets me - right now it will only load one)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6E5F71CE-B015-4444-A9B7-CF244639C674.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	24025  
__________________
Regards - Randy
2017 Thor Vegas 25.5
Randyís Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
Member
 
Big-Foot's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
Posts: 77
THOR #14921
Another pic - I cut the metal fabric to shape and size with tin snips and then zip tied to the back of the grilles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3F0AFE43-F840-4AC9-8498-3725DE990A0A.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	24035  
__________________
Regards - Randy
2017 Thor Vegas 25.5
Randyís Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
jannnda's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 31Z Hurricane
State: Texas
Posts: 460
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Another pic - I cut the metal fabric to shape and size with tin snips and then zip tied to the back of the grilles.

That looks like something even I could do!! I am not the handiest person.
__________________
jannnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #20
Member
 
Big-Foot's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Arizona
Posts: 77
THOR #14921
And after install...
I donít think it took me more than 45 minutes including cleanup. There were some holes I had to drill for the zip ties, but theyíre barely noticeable...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11332416-39F1-4B17-8218-77B7CBB0A5D9.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	24036  
__________________

__________________
Regards - Randy
2017 Thor Vegas 25.5
Randyís Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×