Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2021, 01:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Oklahoma
THOR #24537
Rapid Camp+

Would it be possible to add the RapidCamp+ interface to 2016 Palazzo 36.1?

Old 08-25-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Why add something to go wrong? KISS.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #3

THOR #24537
Main reason would be to have a central user interface for all devices and controls. Just how I roll, KISS with a twist
Old 08-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Call bmpro they are good
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #5

THOR #24537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Call bmpro they are good
I'm on it, thanks Scubawise!
Old 08-25-2021, 01:17 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have the BMPro (the vendor name for Thor's Rapid Camp) on my 2021 Thor Axis. If I did not have it and had conventional switches for lights, slide in and out, a thermostat for the furnace and A/C, etc. I would be much, much happier. It is a PITA to always have to go to the BMPro display when I want to turn something on or off or adjust the temperature, etc.

But if you really want it installed, it will be a nightmare. The BMPro has a display and a control node. The control node has internal electronic relays that turn all of the devices on or off, adjust temperature and light brightness, etc. You would have to wire all of those devices throughout the coach to that control node. It would require lots and lots of new wire pulled through impossible to get to walls and panels.

So, enjoy what you have and forget the BMPro (Rapid Camp).

David
Old 08-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #7

THOR #24537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have the BMPro (the vendor name for Thor's Rapid Camp) on my 2021 Thor Axis. If I did not have it and had conventional switches for lights, slide in and out, a thermostat for the furnace and A/C, etc. I would be much, much happier. It is a PITA to always have to go to the BMPro display when I want to turn something on or off or adjust the temperature, etc.

But if you really want it installed, it will be a nightmare. The BMPro has a display and a control node. The control node has internal electronic relays that turn all of the devices on or off, adjust temperature and light brightness, etc. You would have to wire all of those devices throughout the coach to that control node. It would require lots and lots of new wire pulled through impossible to get to walls and panels.

So, enjoy what you have and forget the BMPro (Rapid Camp).

David
Thanks David for your input. Sounds like it would be more trouble than its worth.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfknut View Post
Would it be possible to add the RapidCamp+ interface to 2016 Palazzo 36.1?
Yes it is possible, but it will require a new wiring harness in the coach and the caps, plus the displays. Parts will be in the $13,000 range and figure 200 hours of labor to remove the old harness and pull the new one. Current labor for knowledgeable electrician would be $135 to $150 per hour. I suspect it would considerably cheaper to buy a slightly used 2020 Palazzo 36.1.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:37 PM   #9

THOR #24537
Ok, Ok, Ok, I get it! dumb idea
Appreciate all the input
Old 08-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #10

THOR #20220
We love our bmpro! My wife uses from bed
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 08-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Here's my "blog" take on "motorhome automation"...

If you're really into gadgets and automation, you can "roll your own". You can install your own CHEAP WiFi/Bluetooth ESP32 modules. They can be found for less than $10 each... and wired so a single board controls several "systems". You can have a self-designed app on your smartphone to control everything... just like the commercial systems. I am using one for my garage doors so I can open/close them from anywhere I have internet. This setup cost me around $15 in parts.

I COULD design/install a complete system to control just about everything on our MH. The bonus is, I would know exactly how it's put together, and if something were to "break", I could track down the problem easily. Working with 12volt systems is a piece of cake... buck converters are dirt cheap (as are most system components) so stepping 12volts down to 3.5 or 5 volts useable is simple.

However... the question is WHY would I want to do that? Other than proof of concept, very few automated "systems" in my MH would make my life any easier. I COULD program a complete system so I could sit in the driver's seat using my smartphone to do everything from starting the generator to flushing the toilet with a servo motor!

I'm retired, and have the time... but I weigh the effort vs benefit before doing even proof of concept "cool" electronics projects.

Analog switches are VERY reliable... and VERY easy to fix/cheap to replace... usually a broken internal spring, loose wire or oxidized contacts. And taking a few steps to get to a switch keeps me active and not getting fat & lazy.

I pity the owners of the slew of proprietary control systems that have recently become all the rage. Wired in the factory, they generally have a single 12volt harness running directly to the control module. From there, a maze of low voltage wiring snakes around to each component (awning, lights, slide controls). Many of these won't have ANY manual old-school switches for backup. If (when) this proprietary box fails, can you even get a replacement? 8 - 10 years down the road? Most of the "pain" will be felt by buyers of these used motorhomes years from now. And the MOST painful part... installing/rewiring analog switch based controls... a project akin to gutting a house interior down to the studs and completely rewiring.

The caveats of rolling your own?

You need to have a hobbyist mindset, or it can be frustrating... LOTS of trial/error scenarios.

Some experience with low voltage circuits and how they work/soldering etc.

Having some programming experience under your belt is very helpful... and having a basic understanding of how your internet browser works.

So... there you have MY opinion. I know from experience how INCREDIBLY cheap these components really are, especially the touch screen displays. If you understand how they work (the "magic"), you understand the fail points - and why. Those panels are NOT designed in Apple factories... they are generally cheap knock-offs of open source Android tablet designs.

Good luck!!
Old 08-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
CN:

I have thought about much of what you say previously. I am not a gadget freak, and I prefer the simple reliability and fixability of switches placed near the device you want to control.

I hadn't considered what might happen in ten years when a new BMPro isn't available to replace if/when it fails. That is scary.

I am hoping that only one or two devices might fail to be controlled by the BMPro system during my ownership. In that case I can just wire around it directly through a switch. I may do that now for the slide and the awning, two things that you simply can't move the coach until they are retracted. Also maybe the water pump.

It should be fairly straightforward to do. Disconnect the device from the BMPro node, wire a circuit through an added switch and back to where the disconnect was made from the BMPro. I think I can put all three switches on the inside wall between the stove and the fridge and I have decent access from there back to the converter fuse and BMPro node.

Something to think about.

David
Old 08-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #13

THOR #16721
Finding/tracing the wiring could be simple... or it could be a nightmare. Pulling the box off the wall and examining the incoming harness will give you a clue. Are the inputs clearly labeled, or are you forced to decipher a proprietary color coding scheme? Lots of circuit continuity testing is most likely needed to trace wires.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:42 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
From a different take, we love our firefly system. It's wonderful to do everything from my phone.

Sitting outside enjoying the family and want to open the awning, no worries, pull out the phone.

However, if it didn't come with it, I wouldn't install it as it would be a nightmare.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Finding/tracing the wiring could be simple... or it could be a nightmare. Pulling the box off the wall and examining the incoming harness will give you a clue. Are the inputs clearly labeled, or are you forced to decipher a proprietary color coding scheme? Lots of circuit continuity testing is most likely needed to trace wires.
Aren't most coaches 'set up' for it and then you pay extra for the 'goodie'?

I can't imagine different wiring harnesses? From the looks of mine, it's a one-size-fits-all approach and the wiring in mine could clearly be used in a longer coach. Not to mention all the terminated wires that go nowhere (accessories not installed?).

I don't know any of that to be fact. Simply and observation that made me go hmmm, wonder why?
Old 08-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post

I can't imagine different wiring harnesses? From the looks of mine, it's a one-size-fits-all approach and the wiring in mine could clearly be used in a longer coach. Not to mention all the terminated wires that go nowhere (accessories not installed?).

I don't know any of that to be fact. Simply and observation that made me go hmmm, wonder why?
Thor likely uses a common harness/wiring schematic. If the head unit isn't factory installed you'd need analog switches anyway. Question is... how many coaches since 2020 have factory installed automation systems WITHOUT analog switches as a backup? Redundancy can get labor intensive and expensive. Knowing the industry as a whole, do you think they're going to have that redundancy? Not a great confidence builder either for an automated system when you have analog backups...

I'm sure most of the factory systems work great. They're a great convenience (and conversation piece) when they work as intended. Just remember... these devices aren't manufactured by Honda or Toyota, and are not tested as thoroughly either. They are built with expediency and cost savings in mind (cheap)... If a unit comes off the line that actually works... "we've got a keeper!"
Old 08-25-2021, 09:33 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Hopefully in 10 years ours work but no dimming lights wife controlling temp awning in and out ..she and we ate thrilled!
Old 09-04-2021, 03:23 PM   #18

THOR #2228
I have rapid camp on my 2015 Four Winds the first 4 years I never used it and forgot the code. Since I found the code I have used it maybe three times to retrieve the awning during a storm. Something else to break.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:35 PM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Amazon echo/Alexa.
I have $11 switches controlling my mighty mule gate and garage doors...from anywhere in the world.
'Echo, open our gate'
Ok
'Echo show me camera three'
Ok
'Echo, open south garage door'
Ok
'Echo, turn on all rv fan's
Ok

Alexa runs my electric blankets and fans and will soon run the locks on my bins in the RV. Tells me the weather, tells me who alice b toklus was and why an elemetary school we passed in oklahoma is named after her....
Phone, tablet, computer or voice control. Everything I have has a physical button as back-up.

It could run my awning or tv or ac or anything I wanted for somewhere between $8 and $25 per switch.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post

Thor MC plant 750 coaches use three different harnesses for each coach. There are front cap, body and rear cap. Each model of each line has a separate body harness as the bath, slides and appliance locations differ. Generally all models of the same line use the same front and rear cap harnesses and some may be shared between lines. You are correct that all coaches are wired for all the options available for that line and model. The exception is for a model that has a standard 30 amp service and an optional 50 amp service.
Plant 750 wiring department is located on the second floor on the north wall of the factory. It usually has 30 people assigned than have to learn some 40+ wiring boards and continuity check stations. As you might imagine, the Hurricane/Windsport 35M is the most complicated taking so 24 man hours to complete. Of course this was in 2016 when my coach was built, so with all the new electrical stuff, I suspect things have changed, considerably.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote