Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Disable retractable steps?

I was surprised not to find anything on this when I did a search here - maybe that should tell me something...

Anyway - I *really* want some way to disable the steps underneath the coach door at times - specifically, when we get home and have to park next to the curb, instead of the driveway. The steps almost always hit the curb or sidewalk, and stop - but I am afraid they still get hung up, and not retract later... I realize Thor would consider the current design to be a feature, not a bug - and would warn me that I am going to step out, forget there is no step extended, and do a face plant. But I like to live dangerously...

This seems pretty simple - find the wire that drives the motor, splice in a manual switch, and live happily ever after. Anything wrong with this?

To be clear - there appears to be NO WAY to make this happen currently, except disconnecting the battery cables. The switch on the control panel keeps them from retracting, but not from extending (as designed, I believe). The STOR/USE switch, in STOR mode, does not prevent the extension (or other operation) of the steps.

Has anyone done this? Any details on best way to implement it? I can do some basic electrical work, but have no experience running wires in an rv - so keeping the switch and the splice close together would be nice.

BTW - We have a 2016 Thor Siesta 24SA.

Thanks!
Dan

Old 10-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
In this day and age someone would switch the steps to "off" open the door and walk out thinking the steps were out. Fall brake something and sue Thor for their problem.

With that said if you place a small sheet magnet between the sensor and the door that should work to keep the steps in.
Or get under the steps find the 12v wire splice into it and run it up and into the coach for your switch.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
just tell the 'door' that it's not really open.... therefore, no steps... as above. The magnet at the bottom of the screen door is what triggers the steps.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #4

Model: Siesta
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
I was surprised not to find anything on this when I did a search here - maybe that should tell me something...

Anyway - I *really* want some way to disable the steps underneath the coach door at times - specifically, when we get home and have to park next to the curb, instead of the driveway. The steps almost always hit the curb or sidewalk, and stop - but I am afraid they still get hung up, and not retract later... I realize Thor would consider the current design to be a feature, not a bug - and would warn me that I am going to step out, forget there is no step extended, and do a face plant. But I like to live dangerously...

This seems pretty simple - find the wire that drives the motor, splice in a manual switch, and live happily ever after. Anything wrong with this?

To be clear - there appears to be NO WAY to make this happen currently, except disconnecting the battery cables. The switch on the control panel keeps them from retracting, but not from extending (as designed, I believe). The STOR/USE switch, in STOR mode, does not prevent the extension (or other operation) of the steps.

Has anyone done this? Any details on best way to implement it? I can do some basic electrical work, but have no experience running wires in an rv - so keeping the switch and the splice close together would be nice.

Thanks!
Dan
I like the magnet solution - I'll give that a try. Thanks to both of you :-)

Dan
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
Are you sure there isn't a switch already? The Hurricane has a switch on the switch panel by the door, but I am not sure it is labeled. There are two rows of switches but the top row is not labeled.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #6

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
I’ve had the same problem. I finally just stopped parking too close to the curb. Problem solved.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Are you sure there isn't a switch already? The Hurricane has a switch on the switch panel by the door, but I am not sure it is labeled. There are two rows of switches but the top row is not labeled.
That switch disables retraction when the coach is not running. Not what the OP is looking to do.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I think a sensor would be better to stop the steps from opening if there is anything close enough for them to hit. There could even be a light warning if the steps are not extended intigrated right into the door. This would take a bit of engineering but all the parts are readily available. I would be very surprised if this hasn't been done. Kinda reminds me of a curb feeler of the 50's.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 AM   #9

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post

Thanks!
Dan
Yeah, the dealer unhooked the steps and used the power to run the Burr Handi lift instead. Yes, it has power but the handi lift is slow to operate. Isn't really a good design at all.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:20 AM   #10

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Mine has a step rocker switch mounted on the left hand side
as we enter the door. You can disconnect the step in the up or down position.
This switch is located next to the step light switch.

The step light switch does not effect the outside light that activates when
you open the door. At least on mine. Regardless, hope this helps.