Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2022, 01:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
Rear view camera suggestions

I'm finding my list of maintenence, updates, repairs and nice to haves almost complete after four months of getting to know our 05 Chateau. Most were just small time cosuming tasks but labor intensive and not very expensive. Cleanig sealing testing etc.
The last item just before adding a spare tire and hitch wiring is a rear camera. I think I am looking towards owners with older rigs that added a rear camera or maybe exchanged their stock radio/cd player for an updated system. Lots of China systems on the market pretty cheap and I'm concerned as to quality and would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has some experience with them. Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2022, 02:38 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
There are many wireless camera options out there that are easy to install and don't cost a boat load of cash. My brother has an older class A that he added a bluetooth camera too when he started towing a car. I think he got it off Amazoom for around $200
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:55 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Try a search here, it's been well discussed. Skip the idea of using your radio unit for a screen,. Every moment when you look down at it, your eyes are off the road. At 55 mph, 5 seconds distracted will take you the length of a football field!

A small monitor, maybe 7 to 10 inches can be mounted on the dash with a wireless camera. Should be much cheaper than $200.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:13 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If your inside rear view mirror is useless (most are), consider attaching a small monitor there. It's the "natural" place to look for a rear view! That's where I installed mine, and it's perfect.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:48 AM   #5

THOR #25443
I like using the rearview mirror for a mount. Can i ask type size you installed?
Old 03-23-2022, 05:48 AM   #6

THOR #16721
Not sure the exact size, but it's slightly wider than the actual mirror. I ran the connector wire into the dash just under the radio... wired the power in there. The RCA video plugs into the video out on the back of the Axxera head unit, which acts as a pass through.

Mine was a fairly cheap ($40?) backup camera kit from Amazon. I only needed the monitor, since the backup camera was already on the motorhome. Excellent video quality though!
Old 03-24-2022, 12:34 AM   #7

THOR #25443
I get it. You added on to the Axxera system. I'm starting with old tech here and have to build from scratch. No Axxera just a Pioneer cd/radio combo. I'll keep your setup in mind as I think the rear view mirror spot would be ideal. I want a little more than just a backup camera more like a constant rear video. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-24-2022, 12:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Not $40 but this is the 12 VDC, RCA input auxiliary monitor I use on my dash for constant rear view of my TOAD and traffic. It really helps in judging traffic clearance behind you prior to changing lanes bot with and without a TOAD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N2YGXN

You may be able to engineer a mount to hang it at the rear view mirror location.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:09 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Here's a little cheaper monitor that will work on 12 VDC plus it has a standard VESA 75mm mount pattern on the back:

https://www.amazon.com/Topiacam-Ultr.../dp/B09BMP3NPS
Old 03-24-2022, 03:31 AM   #10

THOR #16721
I actually use my camera as an "always on" monitor. The monitor is zip tied to the mirror - using a small monitor mounting bracket. The zip ties are completely hidden from view, attached at the back.

Some things to consider. Wireless cameras generally transmit on 2.5 GHz (WiFi spectrum) which is becoming a very crowded radio spectrum - which means more prone to interference in certain situations. Granted, some work better than others, but be prepared to pay MUCH more for the "better" systems.

The only way to avoid interference is to install a wired closed circuit system. These systems are considerably cheaper, but the trade-off is potential difficulty of installation.

When I had our trailer, I started with a wireless. That lasted exactly ONE trip... the static and interference were incredibly distracting. I got creative. I had recently stripped all the cable companies coax from our house... a few hundred feet's worth! I repurposed about 50 feet of it as video cable running from the back of my trailer, underneath to the dash on my truck. I bought (really cheap) connectors and adapters off Amazon, placing a waterproof connection at the hitch. I'm actually now using the same monitor I had from that setup.

The obvious problem on your class C is you'll either have to drill and fish cable from the rear/top to the front dash area (no easy task), OR run cable underneath, zip ties to the frame/chassis... much easier. BUT, you may be stuck with routing the cable outside on the back - from the camera over to the ladder, then underneath.

If you can get it fished down through the back wall, possibly find a way to get it out the bottom, then continue underneath?

Just food for thought. The wireless might work excellent... something you'll just have to try. I just wanted to give you possible draw backs. Although the wired version with shielded coax cable nearly guarantees a clear interference free picture, installation is NOT an easy task!
Old 03-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #11

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
If you are also looking a a nice GPS, then most have a rear camera wireless option.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #24187
I’m looking to add a backup camera also to our Chateau 22E. At 1st was just going to do the backup but after coming to a 45 degree stop and turn, Ive realized I have a huge blind spot in that situation so thinking to add a 3 camera system so I can see on the sides too and might just add a 4th to record what’s happening up front. Monitoring this thread to see what you do. ��
2002 Lance Lite 835EC TC - Sold July 2015
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #13

THOR #16721
Trust your side mirrors. With a good rear view "always on" monitor and properly adjusted side mirrors, you can entirely eliminate blind spots. Truckers have done that for years. But I know the situation you're describing... in which case a right seat passenger makes for a good spotter!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:33 PM   #14

THOR #25443
The choices are in the dozens so far but I agree about the wireless spectrum getting crowded. I've been giving some thought to fishing a cable to the rear camera and I think I can make it happen without too much difficulty. I worked a few years with electricians just before I retired and still have all the "fishing gear" so maybe. I can buy a really complete wired system very reasonable. Other features like night vision and mirror image seem pretty handy as well. Still narrowing my search but leaning towards wired so far. Anyone have any experience with Tadi Brothers systems?
Old 03-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #15

Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
Check out REAR VEIW SAFETY, they have a lot of options, I tried a wireless system an put it in the trash after one year, I upgraded the camera and bought a 17 inch 12 volt monitor and mounted it on a hinge down mount above the steering wheel, also added a side camera for the right side to cover a blind spot, I now have it on a toggle switch to go from back camera to side camera and can leave the rear camera on at all times, the mirror cameras are still wired into the stereo display, most wired units I have seen are either 4 or 5 wire system with the upgraded camera having a microphone built in
Old 04-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #16

THOR #25443
Thanks for all for tips and suggestions. A bad knee prompted me to take the easy install choice so I ordered the wireless system. My daughter has this model on her RV and has nothing but praise for it. Price was around $150 with tax and delivery from Amazon. Install was very simple and I elected to sacrifice one top tail marker light for the mount position of the camera.

The 7" monitor came with three different methods for mounting none of which I used. I temporarily used velcro to mount it on the existing rear view mirror which is perfect for my needs. Clarity and color are outstanding and signal strength is maxed out so I feel pretty confident this will work out for us. I plan to make a simple mounting bracket for a permanent way to attach it to the Ford rear view mirror. I'll post some pictures in the next few days once I finalize the details. Here's the link

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-DoHo...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I liked the option to add up to 3 additional cameras if needed. It has a built in dvr with SD card storage, night vision and split screen choices so a nice package for the price and it fit our budget.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:55 PM   #17

THOR #25443
Here's some pics of the rear view camera system installed. I made a mess of the sealing job on the camera bracket using silicon but it's not gonna leak!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_130248.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	36793   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_130307.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	36794  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_130450.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	36795  
Old 04-05-2022, 12:53 AM   #18
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
Here's some pics of the rear view camera system installed. I made a mess of the sealing job on the camera bracket using silicon but it's not gonna leak!
Just playing devil's advocate: but doesn't California have vehicle inspections? If so, not having all clearance lights installed/working may be grounds for failure.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:00 AM   #19

THOR #25443
Don't temp me to get started on California rules and laws. What you've heard about being the land of fruits and nuts doesn't do California justice. Lived here since my folks relocated in '53 and the changes are remarkable and not in a good way. There's probably a law about driving on California highways with the bed unmade or a sink full of dirty dishes so a missing marker would be pretty low on the inspection list but no inspections I'm aware of. If you license an out of state vehicle in Ca I remember they did a walk around to make sure it's a real car or truck but that's it.
Worse case if a bored CHP gives me sh## I'll glue a red led above the camera.Problem solved.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:40 AM   #20

THOR #25443
You got me thinking about the marker lights so according to my research DOT does in fact require three marker rethe the outsided lights 12" apart top middle on RVs. Thanks for the tip. I realky hate to add new holes but in this case unavoidable so I get to redo. Better to stay legal than to poke the bear right?