Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
As long as you have some type of updraft...it will work. Updraft is a must...test it with a little piece of toilet paper.

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Our Axis has gen on passenger side but Thor put an exhaust pipe on it that runs underneath and across so it vents on drivers side, to avoid problem you’re having.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM   #23

Model: ACE 30.4
THOR #11670
I'd like to see the pics of the downspout. You have to reply to a post and at the bottom of the reply window you will see 'Go Advanced' next to 'Post Reply'. Click on the 'Advanced' and you will have the option to attach photos. Obvious from my photos I must learn how to size the pics.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpott81 View Post
Recently purchased a 2016 Thor Siesta and want to change the direction of the exhaust pipe for the generator. For some reason they designed it to vent out on the "party side" of the vehicle (where the awning, TV, etc are). With the awning extended on a hot day, the exhaust adds to the heat (not to mention fumes). Has anyone redirected it out the back or other side? Looks relatively easy, but would require longer pipe and not sure if that would affect anything. Any help is appreciated.
That’s crazy. My genny is near my drivers door under jack knife sofa and it’s exhaust out drivers side with no interference of slide.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 PM   #25

THOR #11670
Another goof from Thor. Our ACE gen is under the bed on the driver side. Sounds like I'm laying on a tractor when it runs. Not a comfortable night's sleep. The 2005 Four Winds we sold had the gen right behind the driver's side cab. Could hardly hear it from the bedroom.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #26

Model: 24HL
State: Colorado
THOR #11254
We have a Sprinter 24 H/L with the generator exhaust originally going out the passengers side. Took it the a well qualified muffler shop and they ported it out the drivers side.

Our engine exhaust went out the rear and it would drag on the driveway, that was changed to port out the drivers side as well.

Some of the Thor Sprinter models do port out the drivers side and served as a model for what the muffler shop did.

Good luck.

Rick
Old 05-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Idaho
THOR #8472
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephC View Post
$177.79 Reg price
Camping World $109.97 Sale price

You save 38% over the regular price. SAVE $67.82 (38%)

Plus free shipping!
Does anyone have any experience in using this item?
I have used the Gen-Turi for years and love it. Prior to using the Gen-Turi I had multiple times when the CO2 detector would alarm(we do use the generator a lot). Since using the Gen-Turi we have not had a single CO2 alarm.

On our previous Forest River George Town and I did have to make a slight mod using a 90 pipe, due to the exhaust coming out directly under the main slide.

Our current 2017 Thor Hurricane 35M the gen exhaust is just behind the main slide, on the drivers side, it works without any mods. I did buy an extension tube(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to get above the roof line and use these(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) suction cups to hold the strap.

If you use your generator a lot, well worth it!
Old 05-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by philpott81 View Post
Recently purchased a 2016 Thor Siesta and want to change the direction of the exhaust pipe for the generator. For some reason they designed it to vent out on the "party side" of the vehicle (where the awning, TV, etc are). With the awning extended on a hot day, the exhaust adds to the heat (not to mention fumes). Has anyone redirected it out the back or other side? Looks relatively easy, but would require longer pipe and not sure if that would affect anything. Any help is appreciated.
I think you just have your negative backwards. It looks just fine.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:40 AM   #29

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Oak1 View Post
Another goof from Thor. Our ACE gen is under the bed on the driver side. Sounds like I'm laying on a tractor when it runs. Not a comfortable night's sleep. The 2005 Four Winds we sold had the gen right behind the driver's side cab. Could hardly hear it from the bedroom.
That’s for sure. Thor and probably most other companies don’t have smart enough folks that know how to build a RV correctly. My cousin has a 1988 35’ Avion galvanized body trailer that he has only replaced a water pump and a water heater in all these years. He said they built RVs better in 1988. I agree.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #30

THOR #11445
I would be worried about the back pressure of the exhaust on the generator. I would take it to a dealer get their take on it. Then, if you are comfortable make the repairs. It does not have to be a RV dealer, any dealer that works with exhaust can answer your questions. I do know that back pressure on the generator can cause damage to the generator
Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #31

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I would think that as long as the extended exhaust pipe was at least 1” in diameter, and as few bends/turns as possible that back pressure wouldn’t become an issue. The extended pipe should be less than 8’ long to run across the width of the coach. That’s what ours is on our Axis 25.5.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #32

THOR #11670
The straight scoop on exhaust back pressure.

https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ex...essure.168578/
Old 06-02-2018, 01:59 AM   #33

Model: class c 25ft
THOR #6873
If you go up to the roof wouldn't the fumes get sucker in by the ac?
Old 06-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Idaho
THOR #8472
Quote:
Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
The exhaust is about a foot above the roof line. Your AC unit does NOT bring in air from the roof, it circulates the air that is already inside your RV.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #35

THOR #11670
Gen-turi

My AC unit is far enough away that I don’t think there is an AC issue. I ordered the gen-turi today on Amazon. I measured from the gen pipe upward and the gen-turi should extend about 10” above the roof. Also ordered to suction cup brackets. Should arrive Monday but we’ll be using the motor home mid week so I’ll try it next weekend.
Also I think Mike is correct, the interior air recirculates inside the coach.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #36
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
A/C shouldn't be using outside air. The A/C's intake is inside the RV.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #37
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
You realize the air used in the outside portion of the AC is different than the air used on the inside of your AC? Two different fans; two different heat exchangers.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #38

Model: Challenger 36tl
State: Texas
THOR #8242
Actually you are lucky....

If that is the only thing wrong with your RV you are very lucky.

I have had electrical, generator, stairs, water pump, stereo, refrigerator, leaks problems and Im probably forgetting something.

The truth is that because these are not vehicles and are not homes, companies like Thor use very low standards for the vehicles they produce. They look pretty, but, everything they put in, is the cheapest thing they can find and the so called certified technicians don’t have any kind of ethics behind their work.

I made the desicion of getting all done myself and replacing most of the stuff with quality products.

YOUTUBE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND WITH PEOPLE THAT OPEN YOUR EYES ON HOW TO DEAL WITH THIS CRAPPY INDUSTRY.

lucky.QUOTE=philpott81;121500]Recently purchased a 2016 Thor Siesta and want to change the direction of the exhaust pipe for the generator. For some reason they designed it to vent out on the "party side" of the vehicle (where the awning, TV, etc are). With the awning extended on a hot day, the exhaust adds to the heat (not to mention fumes). Has anyone redirected it out the back or other side? Looks relatively easy, but would require longer pipe and not sure if that would affect anything. Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sounds as if you've got a story to tell...

How have the repairs been proceeding, and how did you go about finding the proper YouTube videos to help you?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:27 AM   #40

THOR #11670
Eclarkmx, I had so many issues with the new ACE that we opted to drive 2k miles round trip from FL to the warranty division of Thor. They worked every day for 3 days to fix most issues. The design issues that can’t be changed is the generator under the bed, gas filler in the rear above the bumper and potable water fill tube opposite side of the coach from the city water hook up. The rear gas fill tube is the worst. Whenever I gas up I have to be 32’ forward of the pump. This week I’m taking my 16’ flat bed trailer to So FL. So with the trailer tongue at 3.5’ I will be using almost 52’ at the pump. Overall Thor is not much worse that a lot of more expensive MH’s. Just a situation where one has to go around resealing things and updating some of the crap, ie. TV antenna

Tags
exhaust, generator, onan