RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #61
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24C
State: Texas
Posts: 4
THOR #10685
Has anyone used Kilmat mil and if so did you like results?
__________________

__________________
Cyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #62
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,675
THOR #7035
50 mil or 80 mil? In either case it's much thinner than what everybody is using. I don't see how it would do as good a job.
__________________

__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #63
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,621
THOR #12231
I purhased some Kilmat for my RV a year ago (cheap price) but its not as sticky as Dynamat or Fatmat brands. I would NOT buy Kilmat again for this very reason.
__________________
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
LandKO's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
Posts: 285
THOR #12827
Iíve got a question for those of you that have insulated the dog house.
Granted, you may have reduced the heat from the engine compartment transmitted into the cabin, but where did the heat go? The engine is still producing the heat so itís got to go somewhere. Have you noticed any increase on your water or oil temperature while stuck in traffic or climbing inclines after you installed the insulation?
__________________
2018 Freedom Elite30FE
Current toad - 2019 GMC Canyon 4WD
Former toad - 2004 Jeep Liberty
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #65
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,675
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKO View Post
Iíve got a question for those of you that have insulated the dog house.
Granted, you may have reduced the heat from the engine compartment transmitted into the cabin, but where did the heat go? The engine is still producing the heat so itís got to go somewhere. Have you noticed any increase on your water or oil temperature while stuck in traffic or climbing inclines after you installed the insulation?
Ambient losses to the air moving past the engine and doghouse. Your coach is not a heatsink for the engine.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
LandKO's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
Posts: 285
THOR #12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Ambient losses to the air moving past the engine and doghouse. Your coach is not a heatsink for the engine.
I understand your point, but with the added insulation, heat from the engine is reflected back towards the engine. When sitting in traffic, there is less air movement across the engine. My question was did this cause a measurable temperature increase in the fluids.
This increase may be insignificant and nothing to worry about.
Thanks for your reply.
__________________
2018 Freedom Elite30FE
Current toad - 2019 GMC Canyon 4WD
Former toad - 2004 Jeep Liberty
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #67
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 5,675
THOR #7035
Talking

Somebody has waaaay too much quarantine thinking time on their hands.
The engineers have to take zero ambient cooling into the design of a water cooled engine because, especially in a motorhome, they have no idea how the engine will be encased. The only important criteria is the airflow across the radiator and the ambient temperature of the air going through the radiator.

In conclusion: there is no, zero, none, difference on the operating temperature of the engine due to insulating the doghouse and/or surrounding areas.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Rysiek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
Posts: 129
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Somebody has waaaay too much quarantine thinking time on their hands.
The engineers have to take zero ambient cooling into the design of a water cooled engine because, especially in a motorhome, they have no idea how the engine will be encased. The only important criteria is the airflow across the radiator and the ambient temperature of the air going through the radiator.

In conclusion: there is no, zero, none, difference on the operating temperature of the engine due to insulating the doghouse and/or surrounding areas.
...
Just got my additional (3rd) roll of Dynamat and still waiting for more of Fatmat to insulate our 2015 Axis 24.1 even more. Last year I insulated the doghouse, empty spaces under the dashboard around the driver, passenger and above the doghouse area. The speakers were removed and the bottomless holes were filed with all leftovers I had. Then, I took apart more of the upper part of the dashboard on driver and passenger side where the computer desk is and applied more of Dynamat/Fatmat. The spaces were so packed with insulation that I had a hard time to put everything back together. Next project was done outside of the coach. Insulated the engine compartment as much as I could. What a task that is. And I am not a big guy. Everything I had at that time was applied to the inside walls, firewall and even the front grill. The results were amazing but I knew I still could do even more.
Now, couple of days ago while replacing broken led strips (under the headlights) and installing front grill's aluminium sheet to protect the radiator from rocks I noticed again, how much more of Dynamat/Fatmat I could still use under the hood. This space is so huge. Plenty of room to apply another layer of insulation where I can.
So, reading these great posts gives me more confidence and reassures me that I am doing the right thing and I am not the only one dealing with something Thor should be doing at their factory. That is enough, Home Depot is waiting...
__________________
Rysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Long & Winding road's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
Posts: 2,621
THOR #12231
Wow Rysiek, your catching up with me!

I have two and 3 layers under my hood on the firewall + dash + all the other areas you mention.

I think the underside of the dash (assessed from under your hood) I have 3 layers total. One helped a lot, 2 was a little better but the 3 layer its hard to say. I would not add anymore after 3. I started out with the asphalt type first then two layers of the 3/4 inch foam Fatmat for 3 layers total.

I just purchased more Dynamat.... Im always finding new spots to insulate and make it quieter / cooler (or warmer) inside.

I did the underside + walls of my step well - helped a lot with heat (and cold in the winter) + some sound. I added some to the bottom of the screen door and outside door - took most of the rattle out and sounds more solid when closing the doors.

I added some to the floors of each compartment in each room as well (under cabinets + drawers etc. Under the shower + toilet as well (though the access holes and heat vent hole).

Now I hear wind noise (might be from the mirrors too) while driving that never could hear before.

Its not real bad but Im trying to figure out how to deflect some of the wind way from the windows to see if it helps.
__________________
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #70
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 93
THOR #17456
This will come as no surprise to anyone who has removed their doghouse on a Thor Vegas.
Just finished the removal and was surprised the total amount of insulation was two barely attached, small rectangles of foil backed foam that covered about 15% of the surface-nearly useless!

Tomorrow, I will be installing Thermo-Tec Heat and Sound Supressor everywhere I can. I am anticipating a major improvement!
__________________
twovillagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:23 PM   #71
Senior Member
 
Rysiek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
Posts: 129
THOR #14093
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
This will come as no surprise to anyone who has removed their doghouse on a Thor Vegas.
Just finished the removal and was surprised the total amount of insulation was two barely attached, small rectangles of foil backed foam that covered about 15% of the surface-nearly useless!

Tomorrow, I will be installing Thermo-Tec Heat and Sound Supressor everywhere I can. I am anticipating a major improvement!
I just replaced the folding sofa bed in our 2015 Axis 24.1. While the entire slideout area was exposed I covered the floor with one layer of Dynamat.
Also, I removed ( and cleaned) the house batteries from under the stairs and built enclosure by covering all openings. I have applied more Dynamat to the walls of newly created battery box as well as the underside of the step, covering the battery. I still need to slide under the coach and apply more of Dynamat to that box, storage boxes on both sides and wheel wells. That will be the last insulation job. Right now the noise level in my coach dropped to 57db. Here are few pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200612_142949.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	24250Click image for larger version

Name:	20200610_132013.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	24251Click image for larger version

Name:	20200610_141419.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	24252Click image for larger version

Name:	20200613_192411.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	24253Click image for larger version

Name:	20200610_141735.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	24254
__________________
Rysiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #72
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 93
THOR #17456
Great Ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysiek View Post
I just replaced the folding sofa bed in our 2015 Axis 24.1. While the entire slideout area was exposed I covered the floor with one layer of Dynamat.
Also, I removed ( and cleaned) the house batteries from under the stairs and built enclosure by covering all openings. I have applied more Dynamat to the walls of newly created battery box as well as the underside of the step, covering the battery. I still need to slide under the coach and apply more of Dynamat to that box, storage boxes on both sides and wheel wells. That will be the last insulation job. Right now the noise level in my coach dropped to 57db. Here are few pictures.Attachment 24250Attachment 24251Attachment 24252Attachment 24253Attachment 24254
Those are some great improvements. I wish I had thought about the slide when I replaced the sofa with recliners-but, I still have the opportunity of the battery area!

Thanks for sharing!!
__________________

__________________
twovillagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class c doghouse heat, class c heat, doghouse heat, passenger floor heat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×