Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2014, 05:36 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Mexico
THOR #953
Remove master bed

Not having a THOR dealer at a convenient distance to go look myself I was wondering if one of you guys/gals might be able to help me out. Basically I am looking to remove the master bed from a class A or C gas motor home in order to create an open room and was wondering if the THOR models typically used that space for something that would prevent this (ie a storage tank of some sort). As for a specific model, I have been eyeing the challenger but that is not set. Right now I am leaning towards the outlaw setups so I can avoid this task but if I could easily remove the master bed I can obviously expand my layout availability a great deal.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Typically every inch of "blind" space in motorhomes are used. For my coach, part of the underside of the bed is used for the huge storage area in the basement, and the other part is used for the water pump and 40 gallon water tank. There is also AC and DC wiring in that area you would have to contend with.

Other coaches may use that space as internal storage only, and you may be able to re-utilize that. It will vary from model to model.

The larger size coach you go, the more likely it is that you can accomplish what you want to do, as there the need to stuff the functional equipment into every inch of available space diminishes as the size increases.

But then again, larger coaches tend to have larger water/black/grey tanks, so they may not be a lot of room in them either. It will vary by specific model.

A toy hauler might be your only real solution. My wife asked me the other day if we should get a toy hauler so we can put a shop in it. In reality, I think she just want's her garage back.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
half of my 31L is the large outdoor storage "basement". The other half is the electrical service compartment, for the converter, switch gear, etc.... and several realys in there. In their infinite wisdom, there is also some plumbing in there too.... just a couple short runs of tubing that I have yet to trace to find out my question..... why Thor, why would you put water in an electrical compartment that I am sleeping on top of???? Fire supression???

I really like the idea of the toy haulers' big room. I saw one youtube video from a dealer who set up the fold down bed taht is in the garage, complete with a roll out carpet and I think they even had a night stand set up so it would like like a proper bedroom!
I think depending on what your needs are, they make wonderfull options for lots of things beyond hauling motorcycles or carts! the balnce of the floor plans though, just didn't work for us.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #4

Model: Outlaw 3611
State: California
THOR #576
The couches in all 4 Outlaw models (Gen I 3611, 3808, and Gen II 37LS, and 37 MD) have nothing underneath. The couches can easily be removed if desired.

And, the master beds in the Challenger models are most often used for storage, so the too can be pulled...but a few older models have slide drive parts under the bed.

Best luck