Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
I'm following along just out of general interest on improved technology and reduced sound level, but personally agree with this:

I wouldn't be able to justify the expense. Now as a factory option, so that one only had to pay the difference in price between the two generators ... That would be more interesting.

I don’t know where “the price difference” quoted earlier in the thread came from, but I doubt that it’s accurate if applied to the manufacturer.

As far as I know, Onan discontinued the standard 2800 Watt generator and replaced it with the “new and improved” inverter design. New Class B motorhomes which usually have these 2800-Watt generators are now showing up with the inverter generator model. I expect the same will happen with the 4,000-Watt size. Once available, I expect the standard will be discontinued.

As cost of lithium batteries and inverter/chargers have become more affordable, it’s made going without a generator more feasible. Air conditioning is still a hurdle, but otherwise I’d have no need for a generator. Onan must know they have to be as competitive as possible, both noise and cost.

I’m looking forward to seeing upcoming 4000i specs. When I spoke with an Onan engineer at RV show I was disappointed the 2800i would not idle or operate at lower RPM under low load, but was told that it would not react fast enough otherwise to start a standard air conditioner. With higher capacity, the 4,000-Watt size may be able to run slower than the 2800i model, which could have advantages for larger RVs.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If I had these interests I think I’d just buy the Honda portable. It’s quiet, cheap (relatively) and versatile. I keep mine at home to use for heat and refrigeration during power outages but I’ve never needed it for camping.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #23

Model: XG32 Magnitude
State: Alaska
THOR #21373
A mathematical :thumbs up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
...just do away with the generator entirely.
Contemplating my rig minus 450 to 500 or so pounds...

Click image for larger version

Name:	genius.gif
Views:	77
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	27562
Old 12-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #24

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
The noise tests were done by TheFitRV and you can see them here: https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/qui...0i-we-test-it/

They had two motorhomes, one with the 2800i and the other with the 4000 generator. They started each and at no load measured the nose using an iPhone app at 20' and 50' from the motorhomes. Then they started the A/Cs (same model on both) and did the same measurements. I suspect the A/C noise affected the results as much as the additional load on the generators.

The Onan QG 2800i was 8-9 dB under the 4000 model. Here is the data:

Standard RV Generator Onan QG 2800i
20 feet (no load) 67 dB 58 dB
20 feet (AC load) 68 dB 59 dB
50 feet (no load) 61 dB 52 dB
50 feet (AC load) 61 dB 53 dB

Insofar as fuel consumption, that comes straight from the Cummins data sheets and I seriously doubt that they are distorting it. I have used their engine data on their diesel marine engines and it was always right.

The cost of fuel isn't my biggest interest, but it is worth something. More important is the ability to dry camp in one spot while running the generator several hours per day to charge up a lithium battery bank and not run below 1/4 full where it will shut off.

And the EFI is also a big plus. Ethanol gasoline doesn't affect modern cars because they have EFI (electronic fuel injection) which totally contains the fuel and doesn't allow any air or moisture inside. So you don't have to add stabilizer or anything else for winter storage.

I believe that the Onan inverter generators will soon take over the RV market from their standard ones.

David
I looked up my 5.5HGJAB and it says 66db at 10 feet at half load. I love the idea of pure sinewave and fuel injection. but the sound isn't that much different
Old 12-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by shi ammi View Post
Contemplating my rig minus 450 to 500 or so pounds...
Attachment 27562
What's your power plan after that 6K diesel is gone?
Old 12-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #26

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
What's your power plan after that 6K diesel is gone?
So, not that I've kicked the Onan to the curb yet, but gonna start with 6 Battleborns plus all the fixins that go with it, ie hybrid converter thingy (for more technical jargon terminologies, I'd hafta ping Gmthrust).

I've asked my better half for a way to be more silent and still be fully operational in the nature settings of Alaska. I really super duper love the idea of a herd of caribou surrounding our rig....and/or if I told you that waking up in the morning to see an arctic fox playing outside my window is my idea of heaven on earth!
Click image for larger version

Name:	arcticfox.gif
Views:	59
Size:	674.7 KB
ID:	27695
Click it!

PS. Bob.....sorry about the delay in response, my bad...I thought the forum sends notifications.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #27

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You won't be pa4king anywhere the animals aren't positively indoctrinated, for many generations past, to the value of them walking up to a motorhome.
Cookies, potato peels....

Even yappy little dogs won't stop much more than the most timid bunny.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #28

THOR #21373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
You won't be pa4king anywhere the animals aren't positively indoctrinated, for many generations past, to the value of them walking up to a motorhome.
Cookies, potato peels....

Even yappy little dogs won't stop much more than the most timid bunny.
You're right...so maybe the dream could be reiterated this way: I want to hear them.